Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > US Primary Season 2016: Come for the numbers, stay for the punditry

US Primary Season 2016: Come for the numbers, stay for the punditry (Page 12)
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2016, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Let's set aside the fact that defeating an incumbent POTUS is extremely difficult any way you slice it. With Romney you had a GOP candidate that the ESTABLISHMENT preferred but the BASE was lukewarm about at best. Demographic trends that were not in the GOP's favor. And the self-inflicted wound of his infamous "47%" speech on top of all that. Absolutely no "playing dirty" required nor done. He just got beat. Handily.

OAW
Ultimately, the "47%" comment cooked his goose. IMHO

Casually observing the campaigns and election, specifically about how they talked about their opponents; to summarize:
Romney would say the incumbent is a "good guy" but incompetent.
Incumbent would say Romney was a horrible person, with a bad moral character.

In the eye of a voter, Incompetence is always better than bad character.

The latter, IMHO is "playing dirty", neither is a bad person, they both wanted to do what they thought was best for the country (And neither is perfect). Now, I have nothing against "playing dirty". I just admire Romney for not engaging. This time around, I doubt Trump will hold back.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 6, 2016, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Historically, the radical Left are much more likely to attempt an assassination.
That's all well and good but I was throwing out a conspiracy theory about how far the establishment might go to preserve the party.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 6, 2016, 09:53 AM

Re: Romney he lost because he was uninspiring and uncreative. I can't even recall what he was offering as an alternative to Obama.

OreoCookie
May 6, 2016, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I can't even recall what he was offering as an alternative to Obama.
Can you even remember his running mate off the top of your head? Even then I had the impression that the smart and ambitious people decided very early to sit out another 4 years and then try it when Obama could not be re-elected for another term.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 6, 2016, 10:15 AM

Paul Ryan, current speaker of the house.

I agree people sat out ( Christie) but this year didn't feel like the best and brightest of the GOP. Obviously my politics colors my view but everyone was offering the same BS tax cuts, increase military spending, balance the budget, and fearmongering. I LL give them credit, they definitely was variance in immigration, but on a cynical level part of it is they want that demo.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 6, 2016, 10:22 AM

Busted post

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2016, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Casually observing the campaigns and election, specifically about how they talked about their opponents; to summarize:

Romney would say the incumbent is a "good guy" but incompetent.
Incumbent would say Romney was a horrible person, with a bad moral character.
Huh? I think the "personal" attacks were far from one-sided ...

In New Ads Focused On Character, Obama And Romney Get Personal : It's All Politics : NPR

OAW

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 6, 2016, 06:10 PM

Not sure where this belongs, thread-wise, but with the two likely nominees having the worst favorability, ever, is this the best opportunity for election reform we've ever had? I would point out if we didn't have FPTP elections, the GOPe could run a preferred candidate without splitting the conservative vote. On the other side, Bernie would be welcomed to run independent without splitting the liberal vote.

...and not to shut down discussion before it starts but my conclusion? A significant part of the GOP is in denial about changes the past 8+ years. Changing how elections work would permanently weaken the party system and they always think they have either a candidate or message problem (Rather than a demographic or factional problem).

Plus, you know, the Presidency is about the only think they're losing country-wide.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 6, 2016, 06:11 PM

Also, Sam Wang gives Hillary a 70% chance to win the election (based on polls up till now).

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 6, 2016, 06:26 PM

Notice the ad hominem tactic again. Communist speak for: That person doesn't support my communist politician/policy, so they are racist/homophobes/sexist/etc....
C. Numerous polls have demonstrated that ideological leanings of sections of Trumps supporters. For a quick refresher, a former grand wizard of the KKK is a big fan.
In the off chance this might illuminate you
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/04/op...ffle.html?_r=0

subego
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2016, 06:31 PM

This kind of thing always sets off my bullshit sensors... how are they quantifying resentment?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2016, 06:42 PM

I'd say it's pretty accurate, but at the same time, you'd probably see similar results with Hillary supporters against whites (particularly white males).
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

OreoCookie
May 6, 2016, 09:34 PM

Paul Ryan, current speaker of the house.
Ah, that's right.
I agree people sat out ( Christie) but this year didn't feel like the best and brightest of the GOP.
Not only that, there were 17 contenders, many of whom had very little name recognition.
Obviously my politics colors my view but everyone was offering the same BS tax cuts, increase military spending, balance the budget, and fearmongering. I LL give them credit, they definitely was variance in immigration, but on a cynical level part of it is they want that demo.
Well, the candidates grew out of the current GOP where any sort of collaboration with the Democrats on actual laws is seen as bad — and thus, nothing gets done.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 9, 2016, 02:30 PM

Ryan really wants to keep his head down this election. Looks like he's trying to get out of being convention chair.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 9, 2016, 02:58 PM

I say the following in all seriousness...

I think at some point, Trump is going to get his feelings hurt.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 9, 2016, 03:37 PM

The VP selection process might do it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 10, 2016, 09:47 AM

Early polling indicates the GOP are already falling in line on Trump. Took less than a week.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2016, 12:32 PM

Only the more moderate in the GOP. Shapiro-esque, conservative Repubs are still staunchly #NeverTrump, and I don't blame them. The guy even attacked his own tax plan that he announced just a few months ago and flip flops on his own flip flops. He's terrifyingly unreliable.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 10, 2016, 12:41 PM

The way I see it, this election is a hilarious tug of war between apathy and hate. Sure you may get a few principled abstainers, but the amount of people who hate Hilary will tamp that down. A lot of people have commented how lucky Hilary is to be going against trump, but the reverse is also true. The blow out if he were going against Obama would be stupendous (though still not hold a candle to blow outs of yore).

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2016, 05:27 PM

Just in case anyone thought the shenanigans with David Duke and KKK members being some of the strongest Trump supporters was some sort of fluke ...

A Los Angeles attorney who leads a political party that advocates white separatism is on Donald Trump's list of Republican convention delegates, records show.

William Johnson, the chairman of the American Freedom Party, is among a list of delegates pledged to the presumptive Republican presidential nominee that was published by the secretary of state's office Monday night.

The news was first reported by Mother Jones.

Calls to Johnson's Los Angeles office and an email to the Trump campaign seeking comment were not immediately returned, but Democrats wasted little time in attacking the bombastic businessman.

"Donald Trump is the candidate that will Make America Hate Again," Mark Paustenbach, national press secretary for the Democratic National Committee, said in a statement. "Trump’s racist, xenophobic candidacy continues to fuel a resurgence of white nationalism in the United States, and to elevate a man like this shows that Trump has neither the temperament nor judgment to serve as president.”

Johnson told Mother Jones that he disclosed details about his background and activities when applying to be a delegate for Trump, but said he did not outright describe himself as a "white nationalist."

"I just hope to show how I can be mainstream and have these views," he said. "I can be a white nationalist and be a strong supporter of Donald Trump and be a good example to everybody."

The Southern Poverty Law Center describes the American Freedom Party as an organization founded by "racist Southern California skinheads that aims to deport immigrants and return the United States to white rule."

Johnson, who unsuccessfully ran for a judgeship in Los Angeles County in 2008, describes himself as an international corporate lawyer on the party's website.

Joanna Mendleson, an investigative researcher with the California branch of the Anti-Defamation League, said groups like Johnson's American Freedom Party highlight a tonal shift in the white supremacist movement, away from brash displays of violence and toward a more intellectual approach.

"What these individuals do is they kind of use pseudo-intellectual racism to articulate their views, and they attach themselves to national topics, be it immigration, or the elections currently, and insert themselves into the conversation," she previously told the Times.. "These are not your racist skinheads. These are individuals in suits who present themselves in a professional manner."

Johnson was one of the keynote speakers at Camp Comradery last year, a gathering of white separatists in Bakersfield that featured speeches from other national separatist figures including Matthew Heimbach, according to Mendleson.

"AFP Chairman Bill Johnson was in attendance, and he gave the first speech on Saturday morning. He encouraged the audience to consider running for political office and get the pro-White message, a message concerning our interests and policies, onto the public airwaves," read a summary of the event posted to the party's website.

Trump, who has often been criticized for his controversial statements about Mexicans and a call to temporarily deny Muslims access to the country, ran into trouble earlier in his campaign when he was slow to disavow an endorsement from David Duke, the former grand wizard of the Ku Klux Klan.

Trump's other California delegates include House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy of Bakersfield, Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Vista) and Harmeey K. Dhillon, vice chairman of the state's Republican Party.

With Ohio Gov. John Kasich and Texas Sen. Ted Cruz dropping out of the race, California's June 7 primary will serve as little more than a coronation for Trump.

In the state's Republican primary, campaigns submit a list of pledged delegates -- three from each of California's 53 congressional districts plus 10 statewide representatives --before the election.

California's 172 delegates are allocated based on which candidate wins in each district; an additional 13 go to the statewide winner.
A white nationalist is among Donald Trump's pledged delegates in California - LA Times

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; May 10, 2016 at 05:47 PM. )

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2016, 10:08 AM

@OAW https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Bl...n_Philadelphia

Goes both ways i suppose. I wonder which party and leader they supported.... and why (duh). I wonder what you have to say regarding the threat of physical force and intimidation and what that says of the candidate/campaign they supported?

Poll Asked Troops: Trump Or Hillary? It's Not Even Close. | Daily Wire

It's interesting seeing the "left" talk about issues with the Republican party and Trump, and yet there seems to be very little being said about the fact that the two Democrats are still campaigning for the top (and are too close to call apparently). I wonder what that means for that party?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 11, 2016, 10:16 AM

lol

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2016, 12:40 PM

I wonder if there are any current or former MEChA members among California's Democrat convention delegates? MEChA is the Chicano KKK.
The Wikipedia article states the eagle is holding a lit stick of dynamite.

I saw the MEChA meeting room when I went to Phoenix College in the late 80's I'm glad i checked into it before I ventured in.
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2016, 12:46 PM

The logo moonlights as the fireworks safety eagle.

Hey kids, this thing with the lit wick in my mouth? Yeah... don't do that.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2016, 01:14 PM

Are you seriously trying to equate a couple of nut jobs outside a polling station with an official delegate to the GOP presidential convention? Especially in the context of the repeated instances of right-wing white supremacist support for Donald Trump?

I wonder which party and leader they supported.... and why (duh). I wonder what you have to say regarding the threat of physical force and intimidation and what that says of the candidate/campaign they supported?
But since you are going to go there you do realize that there were no reports from actual voters of "intimidation" at all right? And that the only complaints came from white, Republican poll watchers who weren't even registered to vote in the nearly all-black precinct? You realize that one of the guys standing outside the polling station was an official Democrat poll watcher right? And that the Obama Administration secured a judgement against the other guy for holding the nightstick outside the polling station? Whereas the Bush Administration did not in a 2006 Arizona election which involved a similar incident where members of the Minutemen militia were actually harassing Hispanic voters in Arizona ... of of whom was carrying a weapon?

But don't take my word for it. This conservative writer thinks it's a BS story as well.

Yes, the Black Panther Case Is Small Potatoes | National Review

An "informal" poll is far from scientific. I wouldn't put too much stock in such results.

It's interesting seeing the "left" talk about issues with the Republican party and Trump, and yet there seems to be very little being said about the fact that the two Democrats are still campaigning for the top (and are too close to call apparently). I wonder what that means for that party?
Have you been watching the news lately? The Bernie Sanders - Hillary Clinton race is getting plenty of coverage. Though to characterize it as "too close to call" is simply not in line with the facts. Bernie Sanders has already lost. Just because he chooses to continue campaigning doesn't change the fact that numbers don't lie. If it's being drowned out in any way it's because Trump tends to generate some sort of controversy every other day or so with all is bluster and his campaign rhetoric's continued appeal to white supremacists.

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2016, 01:16 PM

And in other 2016 POTUS campaign news ...

Trump won’t release tax returns before election | TheHill

OAW

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 11, 2016, 01:31 PM

And in other 2016 POTUS campaign news ...

Trump won’t release tax returns before election | TheHill

OAW
Guaranteed partisan divide on this one. His voters won't care and his haters will rail about it. I'm curious how the media will approach it. I don't think there's anything damning in them - except his income or worth is lower than advertised.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 11, 2016, 01:35 PM

If I posted this I don't know where; Cruz was threatening to come back if he won Nebraska. Trump won 64% of the vote. Like I said voters are consolidating behind him.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2016, 01:43 PM

I feel like this is similar to saying the rats on a sinking ship are consolidating with the water.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 11, 2016, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I feel like this is similar to saying the rats on a sinking ship are consolidating with the water.
I think that analogy is apt for reasons contrary to your intentions.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2016, 01:56 PM

Fill me in.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 11, 2016, 01:59 PM

I'm afraid to. But to respond to your original point, that protest vote is collapsing.

P
May 12, 2016, 05:29 AM

It is not "too close to call". Sanders' chance of winning a straight majority of the delegates available in the primary is almost zero - a sliver of a percent. His chance of winning an outright majority of all delegates available (ie, to make the supers irrelevant) is zero by now, and I think his chance of winning an absolute majority of the votes cast is also zero (major Sanders' wins are in the caucuses, where fewer people vote) That Sanders is sometimes portrayed as a viable candidate is just a conspiracy by the MSM...

Barring some sort of explosion from the email server investigation, the Democratic candidate in 2016 is Hillary Clinton. Sanders knows this - he is just campaigning to try to pull Clinton to the left.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
May 12, 2016, 08:55 AM

If I posted this I don't know where; Cruz was threatening to come back if he won Nebraska. Trump won 64% of the vote. Like I said voters are consolidating behind him.

With no one left in the race he still only got 64% of the vote. In Nebraska. Not exactly the seat of educated and affluent establishement republicans.

That's not coalescing that is an adamant neverTrump block in a super red state. That percentage of anti-Trump republicans only grows in swing states which again.... is ALL that matters.

Johnson prepared his concession speech the moment he endorsed Trump. Ryan knows he risks the same if he is forced to play along. Every GOP candidate in purple districts and states is looking for an out. There is no chance of party consolidaion
( Last edited by Captain Obvious; May 12, 2016 at 09:07 AM. )

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 12, 2016, 10:16 AM

I cede the Nebraska claim. There's no polling for me to even compare contract with.

As far as coalescing, that depends on how you define it. Of course there will be hold outs, but the numbers have shown the longer he's been in the more GOP voters have come around to voting for him if he is the nom.

As far as GOP officials supporting him that's beside the point. I'm not claiming the party establishment will coalesce around him.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 12, 2016, 11:17 AM

I guess Dan Quayle saw Trump as his meal ticket to relevancy again. Strange endorsement.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2016, 09:00 PM

I'm afraid to.
You get paranoid about the weirdest shit.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2016, 10:17 AM

I submit this was done strategically and intentionally by someone close enough to Trump for him to benefit from the message being sent while providing "plausible deniability" because it didn't come directly from Trump or his campaign.

This butler is a mess.

Donald Trump's longtime butler Anthony Senecal told NBC News Thursday that he thinks President Barack Obama should be "hung ... from the portico of the White Mosque — it used to be the White House."

It was the latest inflammatory statement from the servant turned unpaid Mar-a-Lago historian, whose Facebook post arguing Obama should've been "shot as an enemy agent in his first term," first reported by Mother Jones, prompted a Secret Service investigation.

The agency released a statement Thursday saying they were "aware of this matter and will conduct the appropriate investigation."

But in a phone interview with NBC News, Senecal stood by his remarks in the Facebook post and went even further, saying the president's children were "rent-a-kids" because he felt they didn't look sufficiently like their parents, and that Muslims should be shot or bombed in the U.S.

"There's more than some issues with [President Obama] — he's a goddamn traitor, T-R-A-I-T-O-R," Senecal said. "I think he should be hung. I think he should be hung next to Hillary Clinton, and I think it should be public, I think it should be televised."

He added: "I think it ought to be done from the portico of the White Mosque — it used to be the White House."

Senecal said "it's a good possibility" that President Obama is a Muslim, and "I know he was" born in Kenya, though he admitted he can't prove it.

Of the Obama's children, Senecal said he felt they may not actually be related to the president and his wife because, "first of all, they don't even look like him. There's no notification of their birth. I haven't seen a baby picture yet."

Senecal also expressed frustration over Muslims, saying, "I do not like them, any of them … I don't trust them." He added that the few American Muslims he knows are "nice people," though he had harsh words for Muslim immigrants.

"But the boatloads they're bringing in here, I have no use for," he said. "I think they ought to be shot at the shore."

Senecal said Muslims have "just totally disgraced" some cities in the U.S., naming Detroit and Milwaukee as examples, and suggested the U.S. "designate those as nuclear bomb sites."

"We need to bomb em out," he said. "I could care less if they're in the U.S. — I don't want em in the U.S., they don't belong here. They belong in the sand dunes where they came from."

While Senecal's proposals for handling Muslims in the states are more extreme than the Muslim ban proposed by his employer, the two share a skepticism of Islamic followers and President Obama's citizenship. Still, Senecal said repeatedly he had never discussed his political views with his employer, choosing rather to air them on Facebook when "I get really ticked off."

It was precisely that — a Facebook post — that drew Senecal fresh scrutiny Thursday, after Mother Jones reported on a post in which he said "our pus headed 'president' … should have been taken out by our military and shot as an enemy agent in his first term!!!!!"

The post was only accessible to those who are friends with Senecal on Facebook, but according to Mother Jones, the former Trump butler has a long history of writing such posts attacking the president, Hillary Clinton and other politicians while promoting his former employer.

In one from 2015, Senecal called Clinton "Killery Clinton" and said "she should be in prison awaiting hanging," according to Mother Jones.

During the phone interview, Senecal acknowledged his posts were "absolutely controversial — and that's the way I want it."

"I want people to start to think," he said. But while Senecal speculated it was possible that after Trump read his comments he might tell him, "you're fired," he insisted that was unlikely.

"He wouldn't fire me over this — he might tell me to tone it down — but I'm sure he wouldn't fire me," Senecal said, describing Trump as "loyal."

Senecal confirmed the authenticity of these posts to Mother Jones, who reported on the hate-filled social media presence of the man who worked for Trump for decades, weeks after The New York Times profiled the retired butler as a gentle man keyed into Trump's desires and moods.

Senecal told Mother Jones that after he informed Trump he planned to retire in 2009, the mogul convinced him to stay on as the unofficial historian. It's an unpaid role, but Senecal said he makes money by giving tours of the estate.

Still, the Trump campaign insisted Senecal hasn't worked for Trump "for years."

"Tony Senecal has not worked at Mar-a-Lago for years, but nevertheless we totally and completely disavow the horrible statements made by him regarding the president," Trump spokeswoman Hope Hicks said in a statement.
Trump's Longtime Butler Thinks President Obama Should Be Hanged - NBC News

OAW

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2016, 04:31 PM

Meanwhile at the Clinton Global Initiative:
Bill Clinton's family charity foundation oversaw an unusual $2 million financial commitment to a private company whose ownership is stocked with close Clinton pals including 'family friend' Julie Tauber McMahon, a new bombshell report has revealed.
The financial commitment came at the 2010 conference of the Clinton Global Initiative, the Wall Street Journal reported, citing a document from the time and people familiar with the matter.
The pledged cash commitment went to Energy Pioneer Solutions, a private company that insulates private homes and allows people to pay for costs on their energy bills.
In another boost for the firm, Clinton personally intervened with then Energy Secretary Stephen Chu, the paper reported. The feds gave the company an $812,000 grant, the Energy Department said on its web site.
McMahon, 56, has a a 29 percent stake in the company.
She lives, like the Clintons, in Chappaqua. She has denied being romantically involved with the former president.
She described herself to the Journal in the story posted Thursday afternoon as 'a family friend.'

Read more: Clinton charity oversaw cash commitment to company partly owned by Bill's friend | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
45/47

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2016, 08:14 PM

Just in case you thought white supremacists as official Trump delegates wasn't enough ....

One of Donald Trump's official delegates to the Republican National Convention has been indicted for child pornography, illegally owning a machine gun, and illegally trying to mail explosives through the US Postal Service, Huffington Post's Christina Wilkie reports.

Caleb Andrew Bailey, a 30-year-old man from Waldorf, Maryland, faces four federal charges that could put him in prison for upward of 30 years, according to a statement from the Department of Justice. In April, Bailey, who is also the son of the former vice president of the state's Republican party, was selected as one of Trump's delegates, when Trump won the state by more than 20 points.
A Trump campaign delegate just got charged with producing child porn - Vox

You really can't make this stuff up!

OAW

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 19, 2016, 10:31 PM

Nope. I won't start judging Trump by delegates he's likely never met or personally vetted. It's not like this guy was in NAMBLA and clamoring Trump would be good for pedos.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2016, 10:39 PM

Yeah, WTF does that have to do with Trump? Are they saying there's some connection? That just sounds like media desperation, to me.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2016, 11:46 PM

Yeah, WTF does that have to do with Trump? Are they saying there's some connection? That just sounds like media desperation, to me.
A delegate did something reprehensible? What about the fact your husband Bubba paid several visits to Jeffery Epstien's "Orgy Island" and flew numerous times on the "Lolita Express"
Flight logs show Bill Clinton flew on sex offender's jet much more than previously known | Fox News
45/47

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 26, 2016, 09:56 AM

It was reported Ryan was going to endorse trump. Ryan immediately came out thusly:

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2016, 10:46 AM

It would appear Mr. Trump has clinched the GOP nomination. Decades of using the Southern Strategy and Dog Whistle Politics to win elections has culminated in a Barry Goldwater 2.0 major party candidate for the Presidency of the United States. If the man manages to win God help us all. And if he goes down in flames the GOP has no one to blame but itself for being in this position.

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump has secured the necessary number of delegates to clinch the GOP nomination, according to The Associated Press.

The AP reported Thursday that it had found Trump had reached the magic number, put over the edge by a small number of unbound party delegates that told the outlet that they would support him.
Trump has been the only remaining GOP candidate in the race since early this month when his final rivals Ted Cruz and John Kasich dropped out.

Trump had been very close to clinching the nomination and was fewer than 100 delegates away from the necessary 1,237 delegates in the Associated Press delegate tracker. Trump was reportedly put over the top by a small number of unbound delegates who say they will back him at the GOP convention in Cleveland.
AP: Trump clinches GOP nomination | TheHill

OAW

BadKosh
Professional Poster
May 26, 2016, 11:14 AM

All brought to you by the massive dissatisfaction of Obama and the Democrats screwed policies etc.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2016, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
All brought to you by the massive dissatisfaction of Obama and the Democrats screwed policies etc.
Or perhaps the "Get your goddamned government hands off my Medicare! " simply finds a candidate who reflects such astounding ignorance right back at them appealing? We are, after all, talking about the same group of working class voters who have health insurance for the first time in lives and like it ... until you tell them it's "Obamacare".

OAW

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2016, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
A-****ing-men.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2016, 12:10 PM

We are, after all, talking about the same group of working class voters who have health insurance for the first time in lives and like it ... until you tell them it's "Obamacare".
Lie.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2016, 01:15 PM

Lie.
Yeah. Uh huh.

When it comes to views of the new health care law, sometimes it’s all in a name.

In Kentucky, a new Marist poll conducted for NBC News finds that 57 percent of registered voters have an unfavorable view of “Obamacare,” the shorthand commonly used to label the 2010 Affordable Care Act.
That’s compared with only 33 percent who give it a thumbs up – hardly surprising in a state where the president’s approval rating hovers just above 30 percent.

By comparison, when Kentucky voters were asked to give their impression of "kynect," the state exchange created as a result of the health care law, the picture was quite different.

A plurality – 29 percent – said they have a favorable impression of kynect, compared to 22 percent who said they view the system unfavorably. Twenty-seven percent said they hadn't heard of kynect, and an additional 21 percent said they were unsure.

“Call it something else, and the negatives drop,” said Marist pollster Lee Miringoff.
In Polling Obamacare, A Label Makes A Big Difference - NBC News

How do you feel about Obamacare? How about the Affordable Care Act?

They're two different names for one law, but a new poll shows more Americans oppose the president's signature health care law when it has his name attached than when it's called the official name.

According to a new CNBC poll that surveyed two different groups, 46% of the group that was asked about "Obamacare" was opposed to the law, while 37% of the group asked about the "Affordable Care Act" was opposed to the law.
Poll: ‘Obamacare’ vs. ‘Affordable Care Act’ – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

In Kentucky, voters are more likely to be cool with “Obamacare” if you call it something else.

A new NBC-Marist poll found 57 percent of registered voters have an unfavorable view of the health care law when the shorthand moniker that aligns it with President Obama’s name is used.

Only 33 percent have favorable view of “Obamacare” in the Bluegrass State, where the president’s approval rating is about 30 percent.

But things changed when voters were asked about “kynect,” the state health exchange set up because of the law.

A plurality, or 29 percent, said they hold a favorable view of the exchange, while 22 percent view it unfavorably, 27 percent said they hadn’t heard of it and 21 percent said they weren’t sure.

“Call it something else, and the negatives drop,” Marist pollster Lee Miringoff said.
Ky. voters are more comfortable with 'Obamacare' when you call it 'kynect' - Washington Times

57% negative view of "Obamacare" in Kentucky vs 22% negative view of Kynect. The unfavorable ratings more than doubled when Obama's name is mentioned in connection with it. And it's the same damned thing! But what I said was a "lie" in your estimation?

OAW

Forum Links
Forum Rules