Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Instability Due to New Memory

Instability Due to New Memory
amdomega
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2005, 05:23 PM

Hi everyone,
I recently ordered a new stick of memory for my 15" AlBook to upgrade it from 512MB (2x256MB) to 1.25 GB (1x1GB + 1x256MB). This is the memory I ordered. The install process was uneventful, and everything booted up fine. OSX detected the full 1.25 GB. Unfortunately, the computer has been exceptionally unstable, with programs unable to remain open for more than 5 minutes. It would seem obvious that the new memory is the culprit, however the Apple Hardware Test states that everything is ok. I ran memtest as well, and it too returned no errors. I am at a loss as to what could be the problem. If it were the memory, wouldnt one of those two programs return an error?

Thanks in advance

GWS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2005, 05:55 PM

Pull out the new 1GB memory chip and reinstall the original 512MB chip. Use your system for a few days. Did the problems go away? Your new 1GB memory chip is likely defective and should be exchanged. Still having problems with the original memory installed? Then your problem lies elsewhere.

Hope this helps.
Gary

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2005, 06:01 PM

As GWS said, try to duplicate the problem with the original RAM installed. If you can, then return the RAM to Newegg (either get a replacement or a refund and buy directly from Crucial). If you can't duplicate the problem, try an Archive & Install or give AppleCare a call.

amdomega  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2005, 06:22 PM

Fortunately, it seems like the old ram still works fine. I guess its time to start the RMA process. One quick question before I do though. Does the order of the sticks matter at all, ie the fact that I had a 256 MB stick in the first slot and a 1 GB stick in the second. Just a random concern.

Buying direct from Crucial would have cost almost twice as much, and I have always had great experiences with Newegg. Hopefully this one will be no different.

amdomega  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2006, 03:12 PM

UPDATE: I got new memory, and it is even worse, I cant even get into OSX. I put the old memory back in, and now it wont start up, even when I hold down shift. It gets to the Progress Bar, and it goes to the end, but then it just sits there. If/when I get it started up again, should I try to get a different kind of memory? I could buy straight from Crucial, but it is twice as expensive. I've never had this kind of trouble with products from NewEgg, so I am kind of at a loss. Any other brands that are supposed to work?

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 21, 2006, 02:02 PM

I have purchased both a 1gb stick of kingmax pc2700 (cl2.5) and a 1gb stick of gigaram pc2700 (cl2.5) from newegg and both work flawlessly. The latter was purchased about a week ago for $100.
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

uicandrew
Senior User
Jan 21, 2006, 02:08 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with this. Newegg is one of my favorite online retailers (along with amazon and buy.com) and crucial is supposed to be the "safest" memory. (even the sticked FAQ says this)

My mac mini has worked well with Kingston,
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

onlyone-jc
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2006, 05:44 PM

Only buy branded memory, and branded memory that is certified by the manufacturer to work with Apple hardware (Crucial, Kingston, Apple [Which is Samsung]).

onlyone-jc

Mister Elf
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2006, 07:35 PM

Could this be the fabled lower memory slot problem?
Midshipman 3/C, USNR

Fusion
Senior User
Jan 21, 2006, 08:24 PM

Yeah, you might have a PowerBook under recall for the memory slot. More information can be found here:

About the PowerBook G4 (15-inch 1.67/1.5GHz) Memory Slot Repair Extension Program

Coach
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2006, 09:55 PM

I am having the exact same situation from you. Same computer, same Crucial memory from Newegg. I've just sent my second stick of ram back to Newegg for a third try. If this does not work, I will trade up for another brand as mentioned above.

Let me know how your situation unfolds. I will do the same. I love Newegg and they've been quick to send the new memory back. Perhaps they just got a bad batch of Crucial memory.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2006, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by Coach
I love Newegg and they've been quick to send the new memory back. Perhaps they just got a bad batch of Crucial memory.
You're buying RAM that isn't guaranteed to work with your Mac. Could be the wrong timings, wrong density, or some other parameter. I'd try another brand and hope it matches up with what your PowerBook needs, or buy directly from Crucial with their memory selector to make sure you get RAM that works with your PowerBook.

Coach
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2006, 10:01 AM

Thanks for your advice; however, can you point out the differences between these two sticks of RAM? I admitting I may have missed something and if I have I need to contact Newegg to make the correction.

I'm using a Powerbook 1.25 15".

Here's the link from the Crucial suggested memory:
http://www.crucial.com/store/MPartsp...&WSPN=CT368079

Here's the Crucial memory I bought from Newegg (Scroll down past the user recommendations to see detailed specs).

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...68#DetailSpecs

The only difference I am seeing is the model number itself and around a $100 in price.

Thanks for your help.

TheTraveller
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2006, 10:14 AM

Yeah I bought a cheap 1 gig stick of RAM for the verys same PowerBook model a year or so ago, got it cheap from somewhere I don't remember exactly - and I too suffer from instability, KP's or freezes about once a week and sporadic application crashing - applications that are running the background that I am not using just suddenly quit. Since everyone else in the world seems to think that Tiger is a marvel of stability, I chalk it up to my 1 gig cheap stick o' RAM. Well, I'll soldier on until it's time to get a MacBook Pro.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2006, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Coach
Thanks for your advice; however, can you point out the differences between these two sticks of RAM? I admitting I may have missed something and if I have I need to contact Newegg to make the correction.

I'm using a Powerbook 1.25 15".

Here's the link from the Crucial suggested memory:
http://www.crucial.com/store/MPartsp...&WSPN=CT368079

Here's the Crucial memory I bought from Newegg (Scroll down past the user recommendations to see detailed specs).

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...68#DetailSpecs

The only difference I am seeing is the model number itself and around a $100 in price.
From all of the specifications listed, they appear to be the same. However there are plenty of parameters that aren't listed. If the RAM is causing problems you need to return it to Newegg; it's a crapshoot to pick between another stick of Crucial or a different brand.

Coach
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2006, 08:13 PM

Thanks for looking it over.

Forum Links
Forum Rules