Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Angry customer regarding the midplane / logic board problem

Angry customer regarding the midplane / logic board problem
hoodmulti
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2005, 08:48 AM

I am another very dissatisfy customer with Apple. Especially on this display problem regarding iMac G5, and the way they treat customer as a liability, when its them, who had serious problem with the quality assurance procedure.

I am wishing to collect your Case Number when you file your machine with Applecare. I am treating this case number as a vote of no confident, also to support my further action to seek third parties assistance.
Please send your case number to the following email address if you had problem with the midplane or logic board.

[email protected]

Why am I doing this? Simply because this is obviously a known problem worldwide, and Apple is not willing to admit the scale of the problem. They rather choose to ignore it. What about those customer who rely on this machine to make a living? Well, their ignorance simply means "you valuable customer should buy another one of our product for our mistakes on our quality assurance failure". This is completely outrageous and unacceptable.

Today, when I asked them if they can fix my machine with Rev.B logic board or a replacement machine, they simply rejected me. They said those discussion in the web are only isolated cases, and there aren't great deal of problem for recall. In order to prove that they are wrong, I am asking you to send me the case number as a vote of no confidence.
With your votes, I will take them to the local consumer authority and some other public organisation for assistance. I don't want to say exactly at this point where these votes will go, since Apple's guy may be watching. But I will assure you that I will do my best to take them to good use and I will keep you posted.

Please spread the word as I wish to gather as much momentum as possible. I really wish Apple will take this logic board capcitor problem seriously, instead of wasting our customer's valuable money and time. Apple is a good company with good reputation in the past, I hope they don't leave the problem as it is and resulting a crappy reputation like that of other monopolies.

Here are a few URL that you may find information about this midplane / logic board / fuzzy display problem:

Capacitor Plague??
http://www.answers.com/topic/capacitor-plague
http://www.wopr.org.uk/photos/iMac-caps/cap.jpg
http://forums.macnn.com/printthread.php?t=257613

Quote from this page:

As the capacitor ages, its capacitance decreases while its effective series resistance (ESR) increases. When this happens, the capacitors no longer adequately serve their purpose of filtering the voltages on the motherboard, and system instability results. Some common symptoms are:

* Not turning on all the time; having to hit reset or try turning the computer on again
* Instability (hangs, BSODs, kernel panics, etc), especially ones which get progressively worse with time
* Vcore or other system voltages fluctuating or going out of range, possibly with an increase in CPU temperature as the core voltage rises
* Memory errors, especially ones that get more frequent with time
* Spontaneously rebooting
* Failing to complete the POST, or rebooting before it is completed
* Never starting the POST; fans spin but the system appears dead

Bloated iMac G5 Capacitors
http://www.pbase.com/johncoggi/image/40667989

What will you sees if you have this problem 1
http://www.oliver-kreuzenbeck.de/iMa...lems/iMac.html

What will you sees if you have this problem 2
http://jmv.ca/midplane_kapout.html

Photos on how to install midplane
http://www.mrbill.net/photos/imacmidplane/

Why these capacitor failed?
http://www.macnexus.org/index2.php?o...o_pdf=1&id=306

discussion 1
http://www.tuaw.com/2005/05/27/shoul...l-the-imac-g5/

discussion 2
http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]

discussion 3
http://leyton.org/techiemusings/2005...c-g5-problems/
( Last edited by hoodmulti; Sep 5, 2005 at 10:32 AM. )

zerostar
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2005, 09:33 AM

I doubt this problem is as widespread as you would think, they sell a lot of iMacs and there was a bad production run in December 2004 as far as I know.

I have one of these "bad" iMac 20" G5's, I brought it in to the Apple store in PGA, florida and it was fixed and back to me in 5 days.

What more do you want than that?

Anyway, you can jot me down as a 'potential' if you wish but I would like to see just how widespread this problem is.

Edit to add: Understand that is it usually something else causing the capacitors to fail. Even if there was a bad batch of capacitors they could even last as long as 2 years when you computer is out of warranty. If something like that happened then you would have a case. As it is you seem like you are complaining because they will repair it for free?

doucy2
Senior User
Jul 5, 2005, 09:40 AM

they had that big problem with 2001 ibook
one of my boards went dead about a month ago
but i had applecare and they fixed it

zerostar
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2005, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by doucy2
they had that big problem with 2001 ibook
one of my boards went dead about a month ago
but i had applecare and they fixed it

Yes that was a big problem and they issued a recall for it once the magnitude was realized.

I am sure apple knows exactly how many iMac G5s have the capacitor problem and exactly how many potentials are out there.

hoodmulti  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2005, 10:14 PM

Capacitor Plague??
http://www.answers.com/topic/capacitor-plague
http://www.wopr.org.uk/photos/iMac-caps/cap.jpg
http://forums.macnn.com/printthread.php?t=257613

Quote from this page:

As the capacitor ages, its capacitance decreases while its effective series resistance (ESR) increases. When this happens, the capacitors no longer adequately serve their purpose of filtering the voltages on the motherboard, and system instability results. Some common symptoms are:

* Not turning on all the time; having to hit reset or try turning the computer on again
* Instability (hangs, BSODs, kernel panics, etc), especially ones which get progressively worse with time
* Vcore or other system voltages fluctuating or going out of range, possibly with an increase in CPU temperature as the core voltage rises
* Memory errors, especially ones that get more frequent with time
* Spontaneously rebooting
* Failing to complete the POST, or rebooting before it is completed
* Never starting the POST; fans spin but the system appears dead

hoodmulti  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2005, 10:25 PM

I posted this very same topic in Apple's discussion and they removed it...
They are such a lameo who couldn't stand people like me saying that they are wrong.
Even though they are willing to repair it. But they are only to give us customer another same problem logic board or a refurblish one when repair.... Then we customer will have to buy the extended warranty for their failure on quality assurance.
Please send me the Case Number if you had problem with the logic board as I am trying to gather a realistic number on the scale of the problem.

Thanks very much for your attention.

From hood

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2005, 10:30 PM

Yawn...

ImpulseResponse

discotronic
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2005, 12:36 PM

I had a few problems with my iMac G5 (one of the original first run models) and after 6 months of doing everything I was told to do I got a replacement machine. This time instead of getting an iMac I went for a PowerMac.

Apple did the right thing. They tried to repair my machine multiple times without success. The only logical thing to do at that point was to give me a replacement. If Apple fixes the iMac I don't see where the issue is. If they can't fix it then it is time to talk to someone in customer relations.

I don't think the issue is as wide spread as the forums make it out to be. If every single iMac owner had problems these boards would not be able to handle the amount of traffic posting about their problems.

Kyros
Forum Regular
Jul 10, 2005, 03:48 AM

This topic should probably be locked before it degrades any further...
g4/1.5 GHz 12 inch powerbook / 1.25 RAM / 80 gig / Superdrive / 10.5.6
g3/400 MHz Pismo / 640 RAM / 40 gig / Combo Drive / 10.3.9

hoodmulti  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2005, 04:28 AM

Kyros, I ain't no apple hater, but why do u think this topic is degrading?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2005, 04:56 AM

This is a serious issue. If I were an iMac owner, I would likely be just as dissatisfied as hoodmulti and right along side him on his campaign to make Apple do the right thing.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

elvis2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 11, 2005, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by hoodmulti
Kyros, I ain't no apple hater, but why do u think this topic is degrading?
Some don't like to hear anything negative about Apple -- especially when they are reminded that "Apple Quality" is a myth!

Agent69
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2005, 11:47 AM

Well, look who crawled out from under a rock.
Agent69

italiano
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2005, 05:13 PM

I've had my Imac 20" Revision 1 for 12 days now (Manager's Special at CompUSA) - yesterday the firewire ports died - also will not boot now from a CD or DVD - will be bringing it to Apple tomorrow after work - I was hoping I wouldn't be one of the 30% but alas...
Visit us on the web @ strangedogs.com for FREE SPEECH and Video Card Flashing.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2005, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by elvis2000
Some don't like to hear anything negative about Apple -- especially when they are reminded that "Apple Quality" is a myth!
I'll be the first to admit that Apple builds computers that need to be repaired, but to refuse to let Apple repair your machine, and then whine about Apple's poor policies/service is a little backwards.

ImpulseResponse

italiano
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2005, 09:08 PM

After reading the Macintouch survey results - over 30% FAILURE RATE in the G5 Imacs - I'm convinced there's a class action suit there. I just spent almost $1900 for a Revision 1 and CompUSA's extended warranty - for a computer with a KNOWN PROBLEM.

sweetymac
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2005, 09:31 PM

Hi

I had a problem with my imac g5, within 3 weeks of owning it, the logic board went and it would only boot up to a black screen t hen shut off.

I went to the apple reps here who take care of apples, and they told me this is a KNOWN issue so they did not have any problem confessing it to me they didn't hide it from me at all.

But when I did call apple, the lady said she would send me restore cds to try and that it could be a software issue I think she was mistaken bigtime, anyways its a month later she sent me no restore cds...but I got my computer fixed simply by taking it in to the local service depot and they were very nice in helping me.

I do agree that maybe apple should be more upfront in this problem, because if the lady told me it was a issue like this I wouldn't have waited more than a week for restore cds, which still have not come.

I am not disatisfied with apple's service because the people whom I spoke with on the phone were all very nice reps, and I don't think I can blame t hem for not being so upfront because its the people higher up who maybe dont want to disclose this issue.

One thing is t here are tonnes of people out there with imacs that NEVER broke...after hearing from them I was releived...I mean its not like every imac is made faulty. The reason I bought mine is because a very nice apple supporter in the store told me all about imac g5 he recomended it and he had a great experience. When I see people with good experiences it makes me feel more better about my imac, I think lots of people dont write the good experience only the bad, thats one BIG problem.

Now my computer is fixed it is working great...my question for you is do you have a warranty? I just dont understand why apple wouldnt fix your puter if you have a warranty...because mine was fixed within 3 weeks...If you would like my case # I can give it to you since I have heard of this problem from a few places...but I think if you have a warranty you should be entitled to have it fixed...because I've read lots of problems, but then they are fixed.

Anyways I really feel bad about your problem, I hope apple can somehow help you and get your part replaced and you can be happy again with an imac that works properly.

hoodmulti  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2005, 10:05 PM

I've taken the iMac for repair from the VERY BEGINNING. But I don't think they've fixed the problem, otherwise there wouldn't be so many people I heard from the web have the same problem after almost 9 months. There are also cases where their machine had to be taken for repair for the same problem quite a few times in a row. This mean, Apple gave us the same problem logic board or some refurblish one.
Please sent me the Case Number if u have the same problem.
Thanks.

OogaBooga
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 11, 2005, 11:21 PM

All I have to say to this problem is: I'm glad I bought a PowerMac.

hoodmulti  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2005, 01:31 AM

Here is another unfortunate user suffer the same the problem again and again.

ponami
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2005, 05:47 AM

I have a 20" imac that just failed. This is common and Apple should issue a recall. I don't think they will, as it will cost them a lot of money.

hoodmulti  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2005, 08:28 AM

It would be great if you can sent your Case Number to:

[email protected]

Thank your for your support.

Agent69
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2005, 08:36 AM

I wouldn't. Unless Apple is refusing to fix machines, or people are being injured, I don't see what purpose a lawsuit would fix.
Agent69

sweetymac
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2005, 12:23 PM

Hi

Hood I thought you said apple rejected you in your first post it said:

"Today, when I asked them if they can fix my machine with Rev.B logic board or a replacement machine, they simply rejected me. "

But then you said your imac did get fixed? Or did you mean the Rev.B logic board is the one for newer models and you wanted it replaced with that?

From what I was told my the apple reps where I live, this was a bigger problem when the parts were not readily available there were long wait times, but now it can be fixed easily by replacing a certain part, and actually they did tell me that now the part is built a bit differently and much easier to replace. That is why I was so happy to get my imac back so soon.

It is a beautiful machine and I think people would buy it no matter what...i'm not sure if they will do a recall on it because they did make a replacement part recently which fixes the problem , thats what I was told my the guy at the service depot. He told me if I look online for a problem thats all I will find and thats true...but if you google up positive things on these machines you can find people with good experiences too.

I also think that sometimes it depends on how people handle situations...like sometimes I see complaints by people in regards to companies like apple. But legally if there is a warranty aple would fix the problem...so maybe these people don't have a warranty?

From what i've heard apple is a very reputable company, and very good customer service, so I think that this problem will be solved...regardless I really do like my imac and don't regret buying it...its my first ever mac purchase. At first when it had the logic board problem I did feel sad and a bit of regret but after speaking with the service depot I felt relieved, and after I got it back I was pleased with it. The only one thing that was different is that when I turn it on the light isn't glowing properly but I can live with that because it doesn't affect how my machine is running.

hoodmulti  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2005, 01:17 PM

Hi there SweetyMac,

My iMac is a Rev.A and I asked for a Rev.B if they are going to repair it, but I was rejected...
Since I need it for business, I have to get it repair, and have to get it back as soon as possible. But I was told from Apple Service Provider that I will have to wait for 2 more weeks before the parts is available.... hence 3 weeks in total.... May be they will repair it sooner than that, which, I donno yet

I love it, its a beautiful machine no doubt, but its design is flawed due to its edge, its compact in size. Supposedly good air flow compartment inside the machine, but from my personal experience that the design doesn't work properly. Its just WAY TO HOT for a computer with so many delicate electronics. Some people experiences 150F - 180F in day to day usage. my PC rarely get up and above 150F when I am encoding movies.
I didn't expect it to break down after only 6 months. I am a techie myself. Never had a machine broken down due to hardware, only those harddisk breaks down at worse. But the iMac broken down because Apple used some cheap capacitors from some dodgy vendor. Whats worse is that people have their machine being repair again and again for the same problem, wasting customers time and money. Some people has to drive a whole morning just to get the bloody thing to the Service Provider.

The warranty is another problem, its only cover the 1st year, but with the scale of the problem I am suspecting everyone will have to buy the extended warranty and Apple cashing in for their own mistake in their failure on quality assurance... or may be this is the reason it get broken down so frequently, so that they can cash in.
Will u have a peace of mind if u donno you may have your iMac behaving like jacko the wacko next morning??

You said: "The only one thing that was different is that when I turn it on the light isn't glowing properly but I can live with that" Then you should get it repair before your warranty run out, unless of course, u've already paid for the extended warranty.
For us business user, we brought the machine for professional reason, not for typing out documents or web surfing.... We can't afford to have machine being unavailable. We simply can't tolerate these kinda services from Apple.

Not calling them CRAPPLE f or nothing mate!
( Last edited by hoodmulti; Jul 12, 2005 at 10:04 PM. )

sweetymac
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2005, 01:32 PM

Hi Hoody

What is a rev a and a rev b? I'm pretty new so i dont now the difference. When mine broke down they said I had many faulty capacitators...I'm glad it broke when it did because I wasn't in school, and have a 6 yr old windows pc I used for the few weeks my imac was in for repairs.

About the glowing light I might ask t hem to take a look at it a bit later, because I have an extended warranty...I would just miss my imac way too much if it had to go for another repair.

Well I do feel bad if it breaks for people whose warranties are over, because when I picked up the imac, the bill said $959 so it is definitely not a cheap repair, but under warranty completely covered!

hoodmulti  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2005, 09:57 PM

Here is a discussion about how to determine the Rev.

cup_prof
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2005, 12:23 AM

I believe I'm another victim.... However, can anyone explain how after a Safe Boot, the screen can be absolutely perfect.... not a single pixel out of place.

hoodmulti  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2005, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by cup_prof
I believe I'm another victim.... However, can anyone explain how after a Safe Boot, the screen can be absolutely perfect.... not a single pixel out of place.

May be its not the same problem... in your case it may be a software or harddisk issue.
Cos computer can only do one or zero, especially the iMac G5 problem is a motherboard(hardware) issue, it won't go away with a software safe boot.

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 23, 2005, 06:12 AM

I think it is a reasonably prevalent issue. There're several dead iMacs each month where I work (maybe 20% of them). It's warm there during the summer, but there's a definite shying away from them in favour of PowerMacs now.

It's a pity - I love the iMacs. Was going to get one for Mum and Dad, but I'd rather not until I hear more "all's cool with mine" reports.

cup_prof
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2005, 10:40 AM

In my case, the Hardware test failed.... the test said the video ram failed. Might be different, probably not.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2005, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by italiano
After reading the Macintouch survey results - over 30% FAILURE RATE in the G5 Imacs - I'm convinced there's a class action suit there. I just spent almost $1900 for a Revision 1 and CompUSA's extended warranty - for a computer with a KNOWN PROBLEM.
I'd bet dollars to donuts that the number reported by Macintouch is in actuality MUCH lower. Why? Because I bet more people with problems responded than people without.

I have 5 friends with iMac G5s. NONE of them had any problems and NONE of them responded to Macintouch's survey.

How the heck is that a scientifically valid statistical sample?

italiano
Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2005, 03:17 PM

I agree - the only one's posting are the ones with problems - thought mine was screwed up - turned out it was a bad file... My Revision A 1.8 ghz. 20" is running sweeeeet - quiet and sound... sleeps fine - boots fine and with a gig of RAM is a joy to use.

wififun
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2005, 01:28 PM

My parents is on it's second mid-plane, my wife's is at the apple store for 7-10 days (that is BS) to be repaired since it is no longer a user serviceable part. and now my friends imac is showing the same symptoms, and I know when I open it up tomorrow it will have blown capacitors too. This is 3 imac g5 17". All purchased with in two months of each-other. All less than 5 months old, in 3 different households, in 3 different cities. This is not an isolated insolent. If that was the case then I would understand possibly one of these having the problem being 33%. But this is all three. This is not acceptable in any way. The lack of acknowledgment and support is atrocious. Yes they are fixing my wife's, but 7-10 days is ridiculous. My parents has already been "fixed" once. They don't even seem to have a fix that works. I really want a solution to this, and will gladly support legal action against Apple. I love my PowerMac, and PowerBook, and I have not had another hardware problem since an SE30 many years ago. I could forgive and understand if this was isolated, but three machines... not an isolated incident.

nocturnmidnight
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2005, 01:38 PM

I just got my Imac back from getting the logic board replaced. I purchased it in Feb. 05'. It took a month of over the phone troubleshooting, repairing permissions and 5 installs to get the ok for a repair. I got it back last Wed. and so far so good. I sure hope it's the last of my troubles.

Cei
Jul 26, 2005, 06:19 AM

Our 17" iMac is on the way back from being repaired due to logic board failure - this being a rev.A 17" 1.8Ghz model purchased in November 2004.

Want to know how to get repairs easily, without lots of messing around?
Have three Apple machines registered to you, with one of them having major failures and already been replaced. The AppleCare technicians see these HUGE call logs and case references, and for some reason are just that much more succeptable to accepting machines for repair. Hell, this iMac went in on the second call to AppleCare. I've now got two *dead* machines registered on my account, so I think dealing with AppleCare from now on will be quite fun.

tazforky
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2005, 09:19 AM

I bought my iMac G5 17" w/Superdrive + 512 MB RAM at the end of Feb. 2005. This is my first experience using Apple, previously having used various Linux distros and Winblows OS on a variety of PC's including some home built ones. My impression so far is Apple makes the worst hardware I've seen from a personal computer vendor. Nothing like spending close to $2000 on a machine and then having to go buy a new keyboard/mouse since the standard ones are so unusable. The keyboard provides 0, 1, or 2 characters output for any key press. The one button mouse is torturous if you're used to a scroll wheel mouse with at least 3 buttons.

User interface equipment aside, the onsite apple repair tech (via AppleCare) has just completed installing the 3rd replacement logic board. In 5 months the system has had 4 logic boards, the original plus 3 replacements. Each time the system would die in any one of the ways posted on this forum. Each time I spent between 30 minutes to an hour waiting on hold or begging help from Apple Care support that my machine really was broken. Then there was the 7 to 10 day waiting period for each service call.

Original motherboard, failed after 3 months with the display showing vertical lines of rainbow colors. Apple Diag test showed Video Ram error.

Replacement motherboard #1: worked for about 6 hours and then the screen went blank and never came back. The little white front panel light would tease you into thinking the computer was on, but that was all.

Replacement motherboard #2: After powering on the FANs would cycle on and off continuous from full speed to no speed and sometimes stay on like a jet engine. The service tech ran a diagnostic and it showed fan failure.

Replacement motherboard #3: Just been installed, though it's only been less than 24 hours.

The tech told me he was surprised my power supply hasn't gone yet since that accounted for about 70% of all of his dispatch calls. In any case, iMac is the most failed equipment he ever gets dispatched to fix. In many cases the replacement logic boards show up failed and require second or more replacements. I think all of our failed logic boards keep cycling through the system to get sent on to the next service call without ever being fixed. As an added bonus, you get to wait a long time for the failed boards to arrive.

As for the software, many of the programs have failed or crashed unexpectedly and even panic the O/S. It's hard to tell if this is merely due to such an unstable hardware platform.

My favorite is you go to play iTunes songs and this computer is not authorized. There is a note on the screen telling you that prior to replacing your logic board, you should de-authorize the computer first. How ironic. If the logic board failed, how would you be able to de-authorize. I'm now at the limit of 5 itunes machines (4 from same machine + 1 additional PC in my house). Apple only lets you clear the authorized list once per year to start over. Nice!!!

I installed Tempurature Monitor as recommended by the tech. He's seen several machines with burn marks inside or smoke coming out the top. The CPU temp floats around 150 degrees Fahrenheit. There is also a problem with hard drives slow roasting under intense heat. This had me worried that I decided to run Backup 2.0.2 to save as much as I could while the machine was up to DVD's. It got to the second DVD and crashed with an internal system error. Browsing forums, it seems Backup is not able to handle more than one CD/DVD's worth of data.

When the system was working, it was a beautiful thing. It seemed like the best computer, O/S, included software I ever had on a new machine. It also gave me some of the worst experiences. I too was given the runaround with calling the Apple store and being told to make an appointment for the "Genius Bar" and then wait 7 to 10 days after that. Apple Care likes to hide the fact that you can have onsite service included. Why should I drive 40 minutes to the closest Apple store to meet with an idiot to show him the system won't power on and then to wait another 10 days and another commute?!

Have you ever wondered why Apple has setup a special online chat support and separate phone support group just for iMac owners? Because they are the most failed product line in company history. Online chat support will get you people telling you to reset the PRAM, PMU, NVRAM as these need to be done occasionally. At least when Windows on a Dell crashed, you just rebooted or power-cycled. I was being told to open the case to hit a PMU reset switch after observing diagnostic LED's. Funny, since Apple only trusted me with a single button on my mouse.

The free virus scanner (Virex) was a dead loss and was causing a lot of my applications to corrupt data on save or crash unexpectedly. Getting rid of it (uninstall) was also a fiasco.

My Apple switch experience is much like the scene in "Deliverance" where I have to squeal like a pig. Thank you Mr. Jobs.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Aug 18, 2005, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by nocturnmidnight
I just got my Imac back from getting the logic board replaced. I purchased it in Feb. 05'. It took a month of over the phone troubleshooting, repairing permissions and 5 installs to get the ok for a repair. I got it back last Wed. and so far so good. I sure hope it's the last of my troubles.

It's "iMac" not Imac.

You must be pretty stupid. All you had to do was bring it into an Apple store and they would have fixed it. No need to "get it ok for repair". This isn't a Windows Box where the techs are morons and need a successful boot so they don't have to ship it out...

They would have booted your box from an external drive. Your real troubles are created by you. Not the computer.

budster101
Baninated
Aug 18, 2005, 10:02 AM

Why don't you people call Applecare? or the store you bought the machine?

Cei
Aug 18, 2005, 10:04 AM

Owch.

I haven't been too impressed with the iMacs to be honest. They work great when they do work, but they have a stupidly high failure rate.

Can't you just demand a replacement machine? Apple generally look at replacements after the second or third repair - you fit that bill.

I can't blast Apple on the whole though - my PowerBook G4 is rock solid, and my G5 is now behaving as it should do. It's just the infernal iMac

pete
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2005, 10:35 AM

Tazforky,

I know the frustration as I experienced it a few years ago with the first generation of the titanium powerbooks. However, I found Apple to be incredibly helpful and pro-active once I had filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. In fact, within a few days of doing that, Apple executive customer relations called me and bent over backwards to help and, as they said, 'make things right'. It took a year to do it and probably 3-4 powerbooks but they finally did by giving me the next revision of the titanium powerbook. I had my own representative and a direct number and he was like a private broker, keeping me up-to-date with everything. the personal communication made a huge difference. Truth is, it is never good to get a first generation of anything. And Apple seems to have a lot of problems with the first generation of products because they're always completely redesigned - unlike Dell or IBM who seem to build on the previous generation of laptops, or just add new features to the same design. The IBM thinkpads, for example, have looked the same for years and are rock solid with no surprises.IBM found a good design and kept to it, adding small, but safe, enhancements. Apple completely changes the design of their machines and then it take a year or so before all the small, and inevitable, quirks are worked out. That's the price of innovation, perhaps.

Anyway, two pieces of advice: write a complaint through the BEtter Business Bureau stating exactly what you've been through in a calm, polite way and thenCLEARLY state what you want to happen: a replacement machine immediately. I think this will help. The other alternative: take it in to the Apple Store and tell the genius that you can't stand it anymore and that you need a replacement now. Get his/her sympathy by being friendly and polite, but be firm about your request for a new one. Nobody should have to deal with what you have gone through.

Good luck!

PBG4 User
Senior User
Aug 18, 2005, 12:15 PM

I'm another Rev. A 20" iMac G5 user with problems. I bought mine last September, probably out of one of the first batches to roll off the line. All was good until about a month ago when it decided to start putting itself to sleep for no reason. I went through Apple's hoops and they said to bring it into one of their stores. Before bringing it in, I decided to reset the SMU. For a few days it was working great, so I thought my problem was solved. But last night my iMac said, not so fast! and starting putting itself to sleep again. Ugh.

So now I have to try and schedule an appointment with an Apple genius. Yay.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

discotronic
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2005, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by budster101
It's "iMac" not Imac.

You must be pretty stupid. All you had to do was bring it into an Apple store and they would have fixed it. No need to "get it ok for repair". This isn't a Windows Box where the techs are morons and need a successful boot so they don't have to ship it out...

They would have booted your box from an external drive. Your real troubles are created by you. Not the computer.

Don't be such an a**. Going to the Apple Store is like pulling teeth. They don't want to listen to anything someone has to say unless it is about an iPod. I think Apple has forgotten that they need to train their employees to troubleshoot a Mac.

As far as I am concerned tazforky is correct and his troubles are very much like the troubles I had when I owned my iMac. The iMac G5 is one of the biggest pieces of crap that Apple has ever put out. How can you call someone stupid when this is not the case? Quit being such an Apple fanboy and realize that they are selling a faulty machine and they don't have the slightest clue how to fix it.

tazforky

Call Apple and tell them you want to speak to Customer Relations. Have all your case numbers handy. Demand a refund but be nice about it. Tell them about all the troubles you are having. I did this and got a PowerMac as a replacement.

The lemon that is next in line will be the PowerMac SP 1.8GHz that Apple replaced my iMac with. It is based on the same logic board as the iMac and it has been nothing but trouble from day one. I've owned many different Macs over the years. I've also owned many different PCs over the years. As far as hardware goes I've always had more problems out of my Macs than I have my PCs.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2005, 03:43 PM

Why don't you people call Applecare? or the store you bought the machine?
Calling Applecare after the first 3 months results in getting a $50 charge per phone call. Do some research before making a fool of yourself.

hoodmulti  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2005, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by discotronic
Calling Applecare after the first 3 months results in getting a $50 charge per phone call. Do some research before making a fool of yourself.
Don't ever pay extra to call Applecare, this is exactly what Crapple wanted you to do, to pay for their failure.
Extending warranty is another bloody scam. But all of us customer who bought iMac G5 got no choice, since we all are already in it.

Please send me your case number to
Edited out e-mail address: don't post e-mail addresses, use pms instead -- OreoCookie

Thanks
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Aug 27, 2007 at 03:35 AM. )

memory-minus
Senior User
Aug 18, 2005, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by discotronic
The $50 charge only applies if the machine is either (a) outside the 1 year hardware warranty or (b) the machine is within the 1 year hardware warranty AND the problem is NOT found to be a hardware failure. Now, who needs to do some research?

mrcanada
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2005, 10:36 PM

look here regarding the issues you speak of...an admission from Apple that there is a problem!!!!
http://www.apple.com/support/imac/re...ensionprogram/

budster101
Baninated
Aug 18, 2005, 11:15 PM

Go buy a DELL, and see what they do to fix your POS when it breaks.

hoodmulti  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2005, 11:30 PM

Go buy a DELL, and see what they do to fix your POS when it breaks.

Crapple finally admit it, finally some good news once and for all.

budster101
Baninated
Aug 18, 2005, 11:52 PM

I've never seen Apple not take care of something that was wrong. Ever.

They noticed the trend in the machines, and they took action, just not fast enough for some. Happy now?
You can still get that Dell, and then figure out what they are going to do with it when it breaks... can you take it to a Dell store and bitch? Nope... you gotta call some guy named "Johnny or Jeff" who's really in Dubai....

You guys crack me up.

Forum Links
Forum Rules