Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Game of Thrones TV series (SPOILERS)

Game of Thrones TV series (SPOILERS) (Page 2)
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 31, 2011, 11:06 AM

Just use (spoiler) and (/spoiler) either side of your spoiler, except use square brackets.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

P
Oct 31, 2011, 11:14 AM

I just googled it. Anyway, the UBB tag is [spoiler], to be closed with corresponding / tag at the end.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

P
Oct 31, 2011, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post

Yes, you pretty much have it.

The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2011, 08:21 AM

Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2011, 08:51 AM

I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2011, 01:11 PM

If you've only watched the show, much of that will be a spoiler for upcoming seasons.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2011, 01:49 PM

If you've only watched the show, much of that will be a spoiler for upcoming seasons.
I didn't read any of your spoilers for that reason. Just felt a bit left out with all the spoilering.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2011, 02:27 PM

Awesome! So if we don't want you to know what we're talking about, just put it in spoiler? Beautiful.

Now whatchu gonna do?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2011, 02:30 PM

reader50
Administrator
Nov 1, 2011, 02:33 PM

I will speculate based on what the TV show gives us. Which would be easier if the TV show would come back. Currently set for April 2012.

P
Nov 1, 2011, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep
I didn't read any of your spoilers for that reason. Just felt a bit left out with all the spoilering.
There isn't really a lot else to talk about. The next episode is on in April or something.

I used to be big on theories in fantasy books about 10-15 years ago when I read a lot of Robert Jordan, but I guess I grew tired of it. Now that it's wrapping up, we seem to have been right on most things though.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2011, 03:01 PM

I used to be big on theories in fantasy books about 10-15 years ago when I read a lot of Robert Jordan, but I guess I grew tired of it. Now that it's wrapping up, we seem to have been right on most things though.
Whoa. Now there's a series I stopped reading a long time ago. Jordan could never kill anybody off - everything always had to end well!

P
Nov 1, 2011, 03:45 PM

Well, he was a staff writer on Beauty and the Beast...perhaps he's returning to old subjects?

Whoa. Now there's a series I stopped reading a long time ago. Jordan could never kill anybody off - everything always had to end well!
Side characters do die, and there are some pretty gruesome scenes in the later books when Rand and other Asha'man are going crazy, but no, nothing like GRRM.

I don't think I'd start reading it today, but I was a teenager then, and I still think some of the books in the middle (up to Fires of Heaven) are excellent. Not the depth of the story, per se, but the pacing and the way the threads are tied together. When that fails in some of the later books, it's obvious how little else there is.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 20, 2012, 09:56 PM

There have been no bumps since Season 2 started. Or since it ended.

Despite the silence, I think Season 2 was up to our quality standards. The casting has remained solid, and we're seeing more of the direwolves.

Oh yes, the story kept me involved too.

I do have a tactical question about the Blackwater battle. When neighbors come to your gate with a battering ram, isn't this the time to pour boiling oil from above? There is the chance of setting it alight and burning your own gate open, but you roast the unwanted neighbors first. And their cries might dissuade their friends from charging through the flames.

Season 3 not due until April 2013.

reader50
Administrator
Jun 4, 2013, 04:42 PM

This deserves a bump. Season 3 started March 31, and they just aired Episode 9.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2013, 05:05 PM

bloody hell!

That went all runny spectacularly fast didn't it!

Way to divert a whole storyline. I guess the book readers knew it was coming but woah!
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

andi*pandi
Jun 4, 2013, 05:16 PM

I've not been watching the series, but I know exactly what you're talking about.

Just when you think killing off Ned Stark was coldblooded... well...

The Stark story is not a happy one.

P
Jun 4, 2013, 05:48 PM

I am not caught up with the series on TV, but I think you're talking about the Red Wedding. When I got to that part in the book, it was about 4 am, because I really wanted to see Arya get back to safety after oh so many pages. That...event...was like a kick in the nuts.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2013, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
I am not caught up with the series on TV, but I think you're talking about the Red Wedding. When I got to that part in the book, it was about 4 am, because I really wanted to see Arya get back to safety after oh so many pages. That...event...was like a kick in the nuts.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

OreoCookie
Jun 4, 2013, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I've not been watching the series, but I know exactly what you're talking about.

Just when you think killing off Ned Stark was coldblooded... well...

The Stark story is not a happy one.
Yes, the last episode was epic. I literally couldn't sleep for two hours afterwards (went to bed at 3 am).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Sealobo
Jun 5, 2013, 12:53 AM

s03e09 is... insane.

my flag is flying half staff.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2013, 04:28 AM

Makes me wonder how they can top it next week. Don't tell me though.

OreoCookie
Jun 5, 2013, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Makes me wonder how they can top it next week. Don't tell me though.
I'm counting on Geoffrey, you can tell that he doesn't like Tywin's power -- as does the family of his future wife

I expect that the characters who haven't had any screen time in episode 9 to be the focus: basically everyone in King's Landing (Geoffrey, Tyrion, the Queen, Tywin Lannister, Sansa, the Tyrells, Bronn, etc.), the King Slayer and his bodyguard as well as the people around Stanley Baratheon.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2013, 07:36 AM

I've read the books. Things will...change.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2013, 07:44 AM

I was starting to wonder if it might be Cersei rather than Joffrey that tries to do away with Tywen. Equally it could be Tyrion, they all have plenty of reason to want rid of him.

OreoCookie
Jun 5, 2013, 07:47 AM

I plan to read the book covering the season afterwards, so this is mere speculation: I still think it'll be Geoffrey. If things continue, we'll spend several seasons wondering who will eventually kill that psychotic SOB

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2013, 08:27 AM

Joffrey

In a non-pretentious way, it's hilarious to see people discussing the books on FB/online etc. - they keeping spelling all the names wrong (phoenetically of course) and I can't figure out who people are talking about.

A couple interesting changes from the books to the show - nothing major, but makes me wonder if speculation about as-yet-unresolved matters in the books (e.g. Jayne) is not warranted.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2013, 10:50 AM

There's been a couple of occasions where I wondered if the sheer complexity of the story he created started to overwhelm Martin and the killing off of large swathes of characters was just his way to regain control.

andi*pandi
Jun 5, 2013, 01:06 PM

What is shocking is feeling like he's killed off the main characters, the ones he spent the most time on, made sympathetic or complex or interesting... then the next books he builds up a new set of "main" characters, and guess what, they die too.

I still don't know who the "hero" of this story is supposed to be, and if he/she will survive the series!

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2013, 02:50 PM

There's been a couple of times where he created quite the complex side story only to let the hero die in the end. Frustrating, especially if it turns out that there was no connection to the main story after all.

andi*pandi
Jun 5, 2013, 04:42 PM

I know exactly who you mean.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2013, 05:23 PM

Its what makes it so refreshing. Stories with heroes and heroines have all been done to death and redone to death as well. Most of the villains have a good side, many of the good guys have dark sides or just do the odd thing that is evil or stupid and no matter how good or noble they might be, they don't always win. Thats how real life works, its like a realistic history that wasn't written by the victors.

The willingness to let characters come and go makes it the most original thing around at the moment. Most original for years in terms of TV. Plus thats how death is in reality, it isn't always sudden but the void it leaves somehow always is.

andi*pandi
Jun 5, 2013, 05:59 PM

I'm all for complex heroes, antiheroes, good mixed with dark... it's what makes Tyrion interesting, and the Hound, and Jaime. I'm even ok with some sacrificial deaths - there is no suspense if you always know the hero survives. The hero can't always be smart. But it would be nice if ONE of them were.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2013, 07:14 PM

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2013, 07:48 PM

Daenerys seems pretty sharp already. Maybe not a hero though.

andi*pandi
Jun 5, 2013, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post

Hey, I read the books! I suppose ^ is right, but she's not the main character I rooted for most.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2013, 09:16 PM

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2013, 02:46 AM

I did like the fact that honour has done for both the Starks now. Ned because he was honourable and went to be the Kings Hand even though he knew it would end badly, and then refused to bend when he was there, and Rob because he failed to act honourably and broke his vows to marry.

I guess the take away is that you never can tell... as mentioned, Deaths like that, you make your plans, it, (and others) make there's. It's very refreshing as nerly all TV writing is very linear in this respect.

On a side note: Did Edmure get it as well. He's family now. I would guess yes but they never mentioned it.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

OreoCookie
Jun 6, 2013, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
I did like the fact that honour has done for both the Starks now. Ned because he was honourable and went to be the Kings Hand even though he knew it would end badly, and then refused to bend when he was there, and Rob because he failed to act honourably and broke his vows to marry.
My favorite part about the scene is at the end when Katelyn takes Frey's wife hostage and Rob tells her »It's okay.« His wife has been brutally murdered in front of his eyes on the order of this guy, his mother is mortally wounded, he is mortally wounded and yet he has the composure to die as an honorable man. That made everything all the more cruel.

I also think that even though Rob broke his vows, I still think he followed his fathers footstep, because he was trying to make amends.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2013, 04:58 AM

A pity he didn't put up a bit more of a fight though.

You would think that such drastic measures would invite more trouble for Frey. Maybe from Catelyn's sister? She is a nutter though.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2013, 07:48 AM

You know, if it's one thing I've been impressed with by the show - and let me be clear here: like almost all screen adaptations of books, I have inevitably found it putting disappointing faces on characters I had made up entirely in my head, which I can never now undo - it's that peoples' reactions to Danaerys has translated so well from the books.

To explain: everyone respects her and thinks she's awesome; but no one seems to really like/love her as a character, unlike say, how people seem to like Ned/Rob Stark, or Catelyn, or Tyrion, or Jon, etc. She is kind, good, noble, sympathetic, larger-than-life, you name it - but she doesn't seem to inspire emotional attachment, and just comes off as somehow cold. Which, incidentally, is quite the opposite from surrounding characters in the books; they all seem to love Danaerys for her above qualities, whereas most of these other characters have tragic flaws of some sort that make them unlikeable to some degree in their world, but for some reason readers seem to get attached to them in spite of or because of these flaws.

The TV show seems to be the same: out of all the characters Danaerys is "on paper" the most noble/sympathetic/good, yet I have not talked to a single person who would consider her their favourite character on the show.

It's quite interesting. It must say something larger about emotional attachment. I also haven't decided whether it's a flaw on the part of Martin's writing - he simply hasn't been able to get us to fall in love with Danaerys despite how awesome her character is - or if it's a deliberate strategy.

andi*pandi
Jun 6, 2013, 09:18 AM

For the first 1-2 books, I recall being disappointed having to wade through another Danaerys chapter. Seemed like it had nothing to do with anything--which, 5 books later, of course isn't true.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2013, 07:11 PM

Its because she doesn't really make sense as a whole.

OreoCookie
Jun 6, 2013, 09:54 PM

To explain: everyone respects her and thinks she's awesome; but no one seems to really like/love her as a character, unlike say, how people seem to like Ned/Rob Stark, or Catelyn, or Tyrion, or Jon, etc. She is kind, good, noble, sympathetic, larger-than-life, you name it - but she doesn't seem to inspire emotional attachment, and just comes off as somehow cold.
That's a very good observation and I feel the same way, but I don't hold it against the character in a sense. The Evil Queen is evil, cold, but she also has her vulnerable moments. The Queen can be incredibly ruthless in one scene (»Call me sister again, and I'll strangle you in your sleep!«) and then moments when she seems helpless (in particular when it comes to keeping Joffrey in check).

Danaerys hasn't shown any vulnerability of late, it is clear that while her goals are noble, she can be just as ruthless. And she doesn't show any reciprocation of the feelings of her subordinates, e. g. Jorah Mormont's love -- or at least his loyalty.

P
Jun 7, 2013, 05:42 AM

The first plan for the books was a trilogy: Game of Thrones, A Dance with Dragons, and Winds of Winter. That shows pretty well what he wanted to do: a political game, the reconquest by the Targayens, and the war with the White Walkers - shown as how they affect the society. Then he decided that there had to be a civil war in there as well, and he put in Clash of Kings which eventually grew into two books, and somehow wanted a bit of time to rest up for the end, and put in Feast for Crows. The point about these segments is that anyone that is only relevant for that segment and not the rest is going to get killed off, and the next start with a reasonably clean slate. Ned is only needed in the political bit, so once that is over, he's written out.

It will be interesting to see where they go now in the show. There is some left of Clash of Kings, but not really a complete season, and Feast for Crows is quite honestly not much fun.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2013, 10:40 AM

As I've said above, it did feel at times like Martin was being overwhelmed by the complexity of the story he created. It often feels like he's geting seduced by a side-story or character, decides to follow them along for a while, then wakes up one morning and realizes that the last 200 pages have done absolutely nothing to move the story proper along.

Bang, violent death, back to work. For me, it started to feel like he was over-using death as a quick fix for confusion that he himself created.

P
Jun 9, 2013, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
As I've said above, it did feel at times like Martin was being overwhelmed by the complexity of the story he created. It often feels like he's geting seduced by a side-story or character, decides to follow them along for a while, then wakes up one morning and realizes that the last 200 pages have done absolutely nothing to move the story proper along.
I think that that is inherent in the format, writing about an entire society instead of a few characters. Robert Jordan did the same with WoT.

I think that the cure for that is speed - you have keep churning out books at one every other year at least, so you don't get bogged down. It was when both these authors stopped doing that (because they got popular and had more requests in their time) that things went off the rails.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2013, 03:34 PM

Anyone have any specific name of irrelevant side characters and their related plots that have bugged them? I'm drawing a blank at the moment. Put in spoiler tags, of course.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2013, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
I think that that is inherent in the format, writing about an entire society instead of a few characters. Robert Jordan did the same with WoT.

I think that the cure for that is speed - you have keep churning out books at one every other year at least, so you don't get bogged down. It was when both these authors stopped doing that (because they got popular and had more requests in their time) that things went off the rails.
Not everyone is Brandon Sanderson. (How in the hell does he write so many books? ) He spat out The Way of Kings (1000pgs) in something like 3 months.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

P
Jun 9, 2013, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Not everyone is Brandon Sanderson. (How in the hell does he write so many books? ) He spat out The Way of Kings (1000pgs) in something like 3 months.
He says that he has a lot of half-written books with notes that he is finishing now that he can get things published, but still... The publishing schedule has 4 novels of his coming out this year. He defends that by saying that he didn't publish any novels in 2012. Right, only two novellas...

Anyway: I don't mean to write faster than you're able, only to keep the speed up to what it was at the start. The publishing dates of the first three books were -96, -98, -00 and then it skipped to -05 and -11. In the same way, the Wheel of Time books came one a year for the first six books before it all slowed down.

Forum Links
Forum Rules