Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Macs in the Media > cube on x-files

cube on x-files
suprz
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2001, 08:38 PM

last nights episode of the x-files had sculley going into a fertility clinic and right there on top of the receptionists counter was a 15 inch lcd monitor and as the camera passed by it went right across a g4 cube, with the apple symbol filling up the whole picture.....very nice
"The only time that man gets to actually leave a physical mark upon this earth is in death, and even then, it is only a gravestone proclaiming his demise"

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2001, 10:37 PM

I think sound sticks too -- and my impression was that it was a cinema display, but I could be wrong.

davidflas
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2001, 02:39 PM

I was definately an Apple flat panel display, but I couldn't tell if it was the cinema monitor. I was cool seeing my favorite computer on my favorite show.

------------------
"life is pain, Highness, anyone who tells you different is selling something."--The Man in Black from The Princess Bride
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

scottiB
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2001, 03:30 PM

Also, Scully was checking files on a Pismo in her apartment,
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

crazyjohnson
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 24, 2001, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by scottiB:
Also, Scully was checking files on a Pismo in her apartment,
Its funny, in many shows and movies FBI/CIA people check their mail on a PowerBook thats running some fake OS. Well at least its a Mac!
Change your world and you will change your mind.

jlb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2001, 01:48 AM

It was definately the 22" Cinema Dispay.

-jlb

Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2001, 09:36 PM

ts funny, in many shows and movies FBI/CIA people check their mail on a PowerBook thats running some fake OS.
That's true, and I remember Jeff Goldblum's Powerbook in Independence Day had the Platinum appearance from OS 8 before it was released. I guess directors want the computers to show eye candy; maybe OS X is pretty enough so that they won't need fake OSes.

dont post enough to reg.
Mar 11, 2001, 11:16 PM

Re: crazyjohnson on 2/24/01, and 3.1406 on0/07/01:
You guys are right. A little more in-depth, and a lot less coherently:
I've seen some movies (Office Space comes to mind) where there are PC-looking boxes (or monitors at least) running some sort Mac OS look-alike, with a major discrepancy. When the characters go to attach a file to an email message or save a file to disk, they don't navigate to the file through the familiar open/save dialog system. Instead, a dialog comes up asking them for a text path, and they put in something like C:/Dos/...etc. or some other very PC filename or path! That should look wrong to even casual users of either OS. It uses PC filenames but doesn't look like Windoze, and SURE doesn't act like Mac, though that's what it resembles! Also, some films use Mac hardware, often portables, but have an OS that is not Mac (here I'm thinking, specifically, of some mediocre drama with one of the Wayans brothers). Why would filmmakers go to the trouble of creating a fake OS that will stick out as obviously wrong to people watching? Think, people! At least the WB has an abundance of true Macs; Long live Dawson and Roswell!

Raman
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2001, 09:19 PM

Originally posted by davidflas:
I was definately an Apple flat panel display, but I couldn't tell if it was the cinema monitor. I was cool seeing my favorite computer on my favorite show.

Ever hear the full version of the X Files theme song? It freaking rocks! <mp3 available for the uninitiated ~ [email protected]>

Raman
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2001, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by davidflas:

Ever hear the full version of the X Files theme song? It freaking rocks! <mp3 available for the uninitiated ~ [email protected]>

Forum Links
Forum Rules