Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > CD-ROM drive problems

CD-ROM drive problems
King Chung Huang
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 11, 1999, 10:39 PM

I have a PCC PowerTower Pro 225 and the 24x CD-ROM drive that came with it. It has a strange problem where CD-ROMs will mount on the desktop, all the files and folders are visible with no problems, but opening or copying a file will result in a long pause and an error message. This happens with both FWB CD-ROM Toolkit 3.0.2 and a hacked version of Apple's CD/DVD extension. Does anyone have any suggestions on solutions?

dxtr
Aug 17, 1999, 11:01 AM

I have been using CD-ROM SpeedTools for quite a while on my PTP225 with the original NEC and a Plexwriter 8/20 with zero problems. You can find them at http://www.IntechUSA.com/
Hope this helps...

seeya
dxtr

REKramer
Aug 17, 1999, 11:27 AM

This may be a function of the OS not working with the CD Drive. If you have an older system, 7.5.3-8.1 on another drive/partition, you may be able to read/use CD's that can not be used on OS8.5 or higher. Decision One told me that there is a problem with several CD Rom Drives that Power used in the towers that will appear when using certian (older) CD's and some newer CD's that were mastered in a certain way. I don't know the specifics but I was having problems with some CD's and loaded an older OS on another drive and started up from that and the problems disappeared!

ThreadHead1
Aug 17, 1999, 12:06 PM

I have the PCC Power Center Pro that came with the Pioneer 16X CD-ROM. Having the same problems that you are experiencing, I contacted Pioneer and they replaced the unit, no charge. But that was over a year ago.

Don't which unit you may have, or the warranty length on your unit, but you might try contacting the manufacturer.

I remember (on PowerWatch) that quite a few PCC users had received defective CD-ROM units.

Regards.
Karl

ltr3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 1999, 12:36 PM

Is this a new problem?

intastella
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 1999, 03:39 PM

I have a Power Center Pro with a 16x Teac cd-rom and last week it just stopped mounting my cds. I experimented with different drivers and that wasn't it. Apparently it just broke after 2 years. I bought an Apple replacement drive from Alltech and it works great, with no special drivers!

Forum Links
Forum Rules