Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Quicken

Quicken
boanerges
Jul 6, 2011, 04:14 PM

I have been notified that Quicken for Mac will not work with the new Lion OS. They have thrown us under the bus. A suggested option is to use Q for Windows which means buying Windows and then Q for Windows. Nice!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2011, 04:22 PM

LOL, I did the switch to Quicken for Windows 2 years ago, using it in Parallels. Saw that coming all along.

Intuit is a bunch of m*****f******

-t

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2011, 09:23 PM

I switched a few months ago to See Finance (SEE Finance) and love it. It's just about everything Quicken ever was, and much better for tracking investments. Support is top-notch. They say it'll be in the Mac App Store very soon. Until it is, you can buy it the old fashioned way, or keep using for free (with a 5 second nag screen).

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 7, 2011, 08:30 AM

I wrote to the See developer asking about check printing. A prompt reply indicated that check printing will be incorporated "this summer". Of course, an exact date was not provided. Then, 'tis a See convert I'll be.
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2011, 09:12 AM

A little birdie told me Apple is genuinely concerned about this, and to expect some form of workaround.

That's not usually Apple's MO, so I was surprised when I heard it, but now you know what I know and can do with it as you will.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2011, 09:37 AM

Considering that Apple hasn't been concerned about Intuit's lack of regard for Mac users up to this point, I don't see why they would care now. It would be in Apple's interest to promote the better, Mac native alternatives instead of trying to prop up a failing company called Intuit. (not failing in the usual sense, but failing as in "genuinely unable to put out a quality Mac product").

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2011, 10:22 AM

That's my thought too.

The presumed counter to that is I guess there are a crapload of Quicken users Apple doesn't want to tick-off.

Also, my vague understanding is it involves is shoving some pieces of Rosetta back into the OS. This may or may not be a difficult undertaking. I have no idea.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2011, 10:55 AM

I bolted for Moneydance some years back. The interface is a bit clunky, but I haven't bothered upgrading from the version I first bought, so it may be better now. I think it's written in Java (which may explain the clunkiness), so it's (in theory) cross-platform.

P
Jul 11, 2011, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
A little birdie told me Apple is genuinely concerned about this, and to expect some form of workaround.

That's not usually Apple's MO, so I was surprised when I heard it, but now you know what I know and can do with it as you will.
What I have heard is that they will keep some subset of Rosetta working under Lion to keep the latest existing version of Quickein around for a while longer. This is just a rumor, though.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2011, 05:54 PM

Quicken Mac deserves to die. It has no reason to exist.

-t

Douglashh
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 11, 2011, 08:01 PM

With all due respect, I have sensitive financial files that I still use going back to 1996 and I have no desire to try and convert all those files into another financial application most of which I have tried and each one of them has certain things lacking that I need. I'm no big fan of Quicken, it has its faults, but does what I need. Without Rosetta I won't be going to Lion unfortunately.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2011, 09:48 PM

Intuit really doesn't care about respect.

-t

boanerges  (op)
Jul 12, 2011, 09:03 PM

thanks for all the input. Key Bank will support iBank.
I am also a Schwab customer and have used Quicken to follow investments. Schwab has told me they only support Quicken and none of the other Mac programs such as iBank, Moneydance, or others. So I guess I must go to Windows and Quicken. Ugh!. (But it is tax-deductible!)
PS- I live 5 minutes from the Redmond MS campus in a MS bedroom community. Nice people.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2011, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by boanerges View Post
Schwab has told me they only support Quicken and none of the other Mac programs such as iBank, Moneydance, or others. So I guess I must go to Windows and Quicken. Ugh!. (But it is tax-deductible!)
All Schwab is telling you is that they only export QFX files. That doesn't limit you in any way, as all of other apps import those.

boanerges  (op)
Jul 13, 2011, 02:21 PM

that may be true technically. But in order to access Schwab I need a username and password from them, and these only work for their 401K program, not their retail accounts. And I cannot import without a username and password. So I am toast. The same with iBank, Moneydance, See Finance. I am happy to entertain a solution. ??????????????

boanerges  (op)
Jul 14, 2011, 12:42 PM

Wrong again. Drats, i hate that!
iBank does work with Schwab. i originally missed it in the list; it is listed as Charles Schwab, not Schwab. Duh! My usual Schwab username and password worked!

The transfer of data from Quicken is simple but not without flaws which have to be fixed manually. Not many though.
This looks like a good program; time will tell. Faster than Quicken.

mkral
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2011, 10:06 AM

The notice from Intuit was carefully worded to say that CURRENTLY Quicken 2007 won't work with Lion. I also got an email notifying me that older versions of Quickbooks won't work either. They did not mention currently, just 'they won't work, not now, not ever, sorry' I think there is something to the rumors of a workaround coming.

boanerges  (op)
Jul 18, 2011, 04:31 PM

I hope so. iBank is too circuitous for online Bill Pay, reports are difficult and not adjustable enough. See Finance has no online bill pay. I'll stick with the Devil I know for the non.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2011, 06:52 PM

Here's an update I got via email from the Quicken folks today:

Dear Quicken Mac Customer:

As a fellow Mac fan and customer, I wanted to personally introduce myself, and share some highlights of our Apple-related efforts with you.

I recently became General Manager of the Personal Finance Group at Intuit, responsible for Quicken and Mint.com. Intuit's 25 years of leadership in personal financial management software makes me excited to lead this team and I am committed to creating products to help you reach your financial goals.

I recognize, however, that we have not always delivered on this promise to Quicken Mac customers.

As you may know, Quicken for Mac 2007 does not currently work on Apple's latest operating system, Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion). I understand the frustration this may have caused you and have put a team in place to address this issue. I am happy to announce that we will have a solution that makes Quicken 2007 for Mac "Lion-compatible" by early spring. There are still details to be worked out, so I ask your continued patience as we work through these. In the meantime, you can find more information on our Mac FAQ page.

Working toward a Quicken for Mac 2007 solution is just a first step in winning back your confidence.

We are expanding our development team to continue our renewed focus on personal finance solutions that suit the needs of our Mac customers. As we develop solutions, we'll be looking to you and the rest of our Mac customers for ideas and feedback.

I understand we have a way to go, but I wanted to start by communicating our commitment to Mac and look forward to sharing the details with you as they emerge.

Thank you for your continued loyalty to Quicken.

Sincerely,

Aaron Forth
General Manager, Intuit Personal Finance Group

mkral
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2011, 08:11 PM

Figures! I just took delivery of my copy of Quicken Essentials for Mac last night. I've been putting off upgrading to Lion because of Quicken & finally decided to bite the bullet.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2011, 08:21 PM

Well, it's not going to be ready until spring, and even then there could be delays. I would expect some kind of upgrade pricing for Mac users when the compatible version finally makes the scene.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 24, 2011, 10:22 PM

Pfff, I want to believe.

In 2013, Quicken 2008 for Mac will be available. Awesome

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules