Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Final Cut Pro X

Final Cut Pro X
AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 12, 2011, 11:30 PM

Apple announces Final Cut Pro X, rebuilt from ground up with 64-bit support (update: $299 in June) -- Engadget

Rebuilt from the ground up, just like iMovie '08? Everyone had a complete cow over that change.. And now it's $299?

What happens to motion, color, compressor, etc? Are all these going to be only available on the App Store as individual purchases?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2011, 12:03 AM

The cow everyone had over iMovie '08 wasn't that it changed, but that it became essentially non-functional. iMovie '08 simply sucked, and sucked so much that Apple made the unprecedented move of offering iMovie '06 for free download to those who had the misfortune of buying iMovie '08.

Hopefully they didn't make that same mistake for Final Cut X. And finally a version I may actually buy. I'm no video person, but have always wanted to dabble a bit, esp. since my dSLR can shoot 1080p24. Unfortunately Final Cut Pro was too expensive for a dabbler like me, and Final Cut Express was quite limited. I remember trying FCE a few times and then wanting to rip my hair out because of weird format limitations, etc.

Furthermore, just about anyone can get a Mac these days that should work with it like a champ. A $299 Final Cut X should move a nice chunk of Macs. And my Core i7 iMac will have another one of the few uses that might actually stress it. I wonder if extra memory will be of any use. I have 8 GB now, but with two empty slots. I'm thinking 12 GB might be the sweet spot, but perhaps 8 GB is fine for this too, esp. for just a dabbler. (When I used Parallels, having 12 GB would have been more of an advantage, but I don't use Parallels anymore. Instead, I just bought a Windows PC for Windows stuff.)

BTW, Color and Soundtrack are now built-in apparently.
( Last edited by Eug; Apr 13, 2011 at 12:19 AM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2011, 03:04 PM

The entire video of the presentation, in two parts:

Video of Final Cut Pro X Introduction Now Available - Mac Rumors

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2011, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
The cow everyone had over iMovie '08 wasn't that it changed, but that it became essentially non-functional. iMovie '08 simply sucked, and sucked so much that Apple made the unprecedented move of offering iMovie '06 for free download to those who had the misfortune of buying iMovie '08.
Not only that, but iMovie '08 wasn't the first time they gave iMovie a rewrite. Way back when, iMovie 3 got rewritten for Cocoa, which I imagine is what's going on now with FCP, and while a few people complained that it was slower initially than iMovie 2, there wasn't a big outrage or anything.

The rewrite clearly needs to happen, since for better or worse, Carbon's been made a second-class citizen that's not getting to take advantage of new features going forward.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2011, 03:57 PM

Watch the presentation. There's a demo by Ubillos in the second part.

While they'd obviously demo it on 12-core Pros, it's apparently much faster than before, and it's apparently not castrated, either - quite on the contrary.

It's got a number of the little niceties of iMovie 11, too.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2011, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Not only that, but iMovie '08 wasn't the first time they gave iMovie a rewrite. Way back when, iMovie 3 got rewritten for Cocoa, which I imagine is what's going on now with FCP, and while a few people complained that it was slower initially than iMovie 2, there wasn't a big outrage or anything.
It's been a long time, but IIRC iMovie 3 was indeed slower, but it also got some improvements. A few point updates and a faster machine solved the issues.

iMovie '08 was a different story. It was an attempt to completely change the interface, which was a reasonable goal because quite honestly iMovie '06 (although I liked it) could be considered a bit complicated for the complete novice. Unfortunately it would seem Apple didn't have enough time to complete the work on the iMovie rewrite and just released it as is, which I think should have almost been considered an alpha release.

Maybe it was good practice though for their video app team, for the big Final Cut rewrite.

P.S. Which reminds me. I have iMovie '11, but still haven't installed it. I'll have to give it a go when I get a few days off.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2011, 04:20 PM

I love iMovie 11. Mostly.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2011, 11:54 PM

Thanks for the link Spheric. I just finished watching both videos. I love iMovie 11 but I'll be ditching it come June. Final Cut Pro X looks absolutely amazing. That magnetic timeline is a game changer.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2011, 12:36 AM

It ain't a finished product yet unfortunately.

---

The Sound of 1,700 Jaws Dropping – Larry’s Blog

MY REACTIONS

I’ve been thinking hard about this since I first saw the software six weeks ago.

And, truthfully, I’m very torn. There are some features here that I really like a LOT. There are a few that I don’t like at all. But there is a great deal that has not yet been said.

And that, I think, is the key point. The devil is ALWAYS in the details.

Apple has done its usual magnificent job of previewing a new product. But this is only the preview.

I met Randy Ubillos, Chief Architect for Video Applications at Apple, after he presented the demo of the software. I told him that parts of what I saw I liked a lot and parts had me quite concerned. And I asked if Apple was interested in our feedback. He immediately said that Apple is VERY interested in our feedback, that they are listening and want to make this application something that all of us can be proud of using.

I believe him. And I also believe that it is way too early to make any final decisions about this version. There are too many unanswered questions. For example, here are some questions the answers to which are still unknown:

* The retail price for FCP is $299 – but what is the retail price of the other software parts of the Suite? Are we back to ala carte pricing?

* The application will be sold through the Mac App store. What happens to all the great data files that were available with the suite in earlier versions?

* How does FCP X work with existing FCP 7 projects?

* What other applications ship with Final Cut and how do they integrate?

* How many of our existing plug-ins, peripherals, hardware, and other gear need to be updated to work with the new software?

* Editing does not exist in a vacuum, how do we share files, clips, metadata, and project information with other software tools?

* How does it handle media?

* How has QuickTime changed to support what Final Cut Pro X can do?

* Real-time, native video processing is great for editing – however, we still need to transcode to get files on the web. How?

As of tonight, Apple hasn’t provided answers to these, or many other questions. As they do, or as I’m able to find them out, I’ll share them with you in this blog and my newsletter.

As one engineer told me at the Cupertino meeting in February, Final Cut Pro is still a work in progress. We’ve seen the outline of the work – the rough cut, if you will. Now we need to give the engineers time to listen to our feedback, polish it up, and deliver the final cut of Final Cut.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2011, 02:00 PM

It looks like Apple released Final Cut X today. Motion & Compressor have been updated as well but are separate downloads at $50 each. Anyone here download it yet?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Forum Links
Forum Rules