Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 8.6: Error Type -3 -- Microsoft Only?

8.6: Error Type -3 -- Microsoft Only?
Boris_Mann
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 1999, 09:19 PM

I've had 8.6 installed for several days now, and many applications crash with an "Error Type -3". Internet Explorer 4.5 and Word 98 seem to be most affected (crash on program launch, crash while running), although I've also noticed it with Adobe GoLive 4.0. I believe that these programs all use some sort of MS shared libraries, which might be the culprit.

Basically, the programs I've listed are so unstable as to be unusable. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

RandallP2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 1999, 03:46 PM

Yes, there is a problem of some kind involving Explorer 4.5:

1. Open Explorer 4.5, Word 98, and Excel 98
2. Copy something from Excel
3. Try to Paste into Word

This (common) exercise will freeze the cursor every time. A Force Quit exercise reveals that the hungup application is Explorer 4.5.

Boris_Mann  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 1999, 05:23 AM

I had read about the Copy/Paste bug, but I'm experiencing a ton of type 3 errors with Office98 apps and about half the other apps on the system (especially Netscape and IE).

I've made some more replies to the "Office98 and 8.6" thread, as people there have reported type 3 errors as well.

GJ7502
May 25, 1999, 02:17 AM

Have you guys done the Office 98 update?

Forum Links
Forum Rules