Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > .Net Framework for Mac out?

.Net Framework for Mac out?
JorgeLL
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2002, 10:46 PM

I saw this in MSDN today:

The 1.0 release builds and runs on Windows XP, the FreeBSD operating system, and Mac OS X 10.2.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/net/sscli

It looks like they released a version of the .Net Frameworks for Mac! I'll be compiling an app in C# and trying to run it on my Mac to see if this works... just thought it was interesting news, but it'd be cool if you could run .Net apps in OS X ... Not sure how much stuff doesn't work/etc, but hey it's better than nothing

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2002, 11:24 PM

fsck c#!

Guy Incognito
Banned
Nov 5, 2002, 11:52 PM

Oh god...I'm afraid to see what .net is going to bring out for OS X...surely it's gonna flop.

dot_nix
Nov 5, 2002, 11:57 PM

Originally posted by JorgeLL:
I saw this in MSDN today:

The 1.0 release builds and runs on Windows XP, the FreeBSD operating system, and Mac OS X 10.2.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/net/sscli

It looks like they released a version of the .Net Frameworks for Mac! I'll be compiling an app in C# and trying to run it on my Mac to see if this works... just thought it was interesting news, but it'd be cool if you could run .Net apps in OS X ... Not sure how much stuff doesn't work/etc, but hey it's better than nothing
Interesting! COCOA.NET IS FINALLY OUT!

Detrius
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2002, 12:12 AM

Originally posted by dot_nix:

Interesting! COCOA.NET IS FINALLY OUT!
Cocoa.net? Huh? What did I miss?

Anyway... why bother with Microsoft's C# when you can write in Objective-C and Cocoa? It really is a beautiful combination.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2002, 12:36 AM

Don't get your hopes up; this is basically .NET's equivalent to the Java VM.

We got this basically because Microsoft needed a FreeBSD backend (every time they try downgrading Hotmail's servers to any Windows variant they end up changing back within hours). That made an OSX port easy enough, since, again, there's no interface stuff here.

But one thing that has me curious: why does this require Perl?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

krove
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2002, 02:43 AM

Does this mean certain MS applications that are currently slated to become .Net apps in the next few years (i.e. MS Great Plains) might one day run under a Java VM-like umbrella for OS X? (Of course, because they control the code for Great Plains, they may decide to not make it completely .Net, thus keeping it for Windows only).

This could be interesting if it pans out...

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2002, 02:46 AM

Originally posted by Guy Incognito:
Oh god...I'm afraid to see what .net is going to bring out for OS X...surely it's gonna flop.
If (big IF) they create a complete implementation including the CLR and all of the frameworks then the result would be that ANY .NET app could run on the Mac without being recompiled. It would be a good thing.

But ... as it is this is only a small piece of what you need. But it *IS* a start.

sadie
Senior User
Nov 7, 2002, 05:46 AM

I like C#. Sorry. I like the language-independent runtime and inter-language inheritance. Sorry. I like the idea that software can be written for all platforms in the same environment. Sorry.

In fact, there's only one problem I have with the idea of .Net taking over the world, and that's the fact that Microsoft are behind it. However much I like the technology (sorry), I just don't trust them.
All words are lies. Including these ones.

jasong
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2002, 09:11 AM

OK, someone who knows, please respond to this. My company uses a database whose front end is being rewritten in .net

If I have this installed on my Mac, can I run that front end?

-- Jason

Mithras
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2002, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by jasong:
OK, someone who knows, please respond to this. My company uses a database whose front end is being rewritten in .net

If I have this installed on my Mac, can I run that front end?

-- Jason
No.

This is about MS covering their a**, not about writing cross-platform applications. This is a *language runtime* and includes *none* of the .NET foundation classes. And if you've looked at anything about .NET, you can see that it's all about the foundation classes.

Consider the "wide audience" Microsoft thinks can learn something of value from this release:
  • Developers interested in the internal workings of the .NET Framework can explore this implementation of the CLI to see how garbage collection works...
  • Teachers and researchers doing work with advanced compiler technology...
  • People developing their own CLI implementations...

Now, the source might be useful if Apple or an open-source developer is working on their own runtime. But that doesn't help you build the foundation classes at all.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2002, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by sadie:
Sorry. I like the idea that software can be written for all platforms in the same environment. Sorry.
Isn't this exactly what Java has been for the last 2-3 years?

macmike42
Senior User
Nov 9, 2002, 11:25 PM

Originally posted by King Bob On The Cob:

6-7 years, with the exception of Windows.
"Think Different. Like The Rest Of Us."

iBook G4/1.2GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | Mac OS X 10.4.2
Athlon XP 2500+/1.83GHz | 1GB PC3200 | 120GB | Windows XP

dbergstrom
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 10, 2002, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by King Bob On The Cob:

And isn't C# just Microsoft's bastardization of Java?
Don

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2002, 04:09 PM

I can understand that people will want .NET apps to run on their Mac (if that's the way the PC world is going, we're going to have to follow), but I don't see why anyone would want to write a .NET app for the Mac. It just seems kind of pointless. I'd stick with Java.

Forum Links
Forum Rules