Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Help with client updates ..

Help with client updates ..
HippyShoes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2004, 11:04 AM

Hi, I've searched on this forum and haven't found any answers that weren't at least 2 years old, so I'm posting a new topic (hoping there might be an easy answer these days).

I'm a graphic designer that's done a lot of simple websites (all html and css based), until now I luckily haven't had to delve into PHP or CGI at all.

But my next client is a friend who has a little photography business and wants a website that she can upload new photos to, and presumably little text labels too.

What options are there that'll give her an easy (preferably web-based interface) to do her own uploads/edits? ... and that will be easy for me to setup?

Thanks very much

HS

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Nov 4, 2004, 11:56 AM

you could try Contribute, which lets you lock down some areas of a site, and allows users like your client to edit certain areas (such as images and text). sounds ideal for you, works out the box, and you don't need to learn any new code skills.
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

larkost
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2004, 12:30 PM

Depending on how flexible it has to be you could also look at a CMS like Gallery, it is open source and already done for you.

HippyShoes  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2004, 04:25 PM

thanks for the replies .. they both look very helpful ...

One confusion I have with Contribute - if I have the software can I set up a web interface where she can make edits, or does she need to have the Contribute software also (to make her edits).

Thanks very much,

HS

larkost
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2004, 04:33 PM

Contribute is html editing software that is intend to allow client to make small changes to Dreamweaver designed sites. Your client would have to purchase a copy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules