Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > icurve vs. Ilap

icurve vs. Ilap
Mustang67
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2005, 05:07 AM

Icurve

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/icurve/
$39.99

v.s.

Ilap

http://www.raindesigninc.com/ilap.html
$64.95

(i know the typical answer is "depends what you need it for"... but just what do you think is pro/con, and overall best)

Thanks

ericssonboi
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 17, 2005, 05:41 AM

I've had the iLap and i really think it works best if you do a lot on the bed or on the couch. The armrest is good.. i've sold it (on got a notebook cooler since) and miss the armrset.

I don't have an iCurve, but i think its best if you have less desk space or want to reduce clutter. An external keyboard would be ideal if you use the iCurve.
15" 2.33 MBP 2GB Ram, 120GB HD - Main Rig

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2005, 06:24 AM

Neither, really Call me silly, but I like to use the computer and not worry bout those things

The iCurve sounds dangerous IMHO. Gravity + icurve = dented powerbook.
Aloha

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2005, 09:36 AM

i recently got this and love it.
carry it around in my backpack (sans silly case).
small, lite, efficient...and great aesthetics!

check ebay as well...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

vtgts500kw
Jul 17, 2005, 10:25 AM

there is no way the powerbook can slip of the icurve, i have it and i love it.

it raises the screen up so your not looking down at the damm thing, and if you spend plenty of time on your computer then you are going to notice the difference it makes to your comfort.

it also keeps the laptop cooler, i never ever hear the fan come on.

and it looks cool and definatly cleans up your desk. the other option looks hideous imo.

also: you will need an external keyboard with the icurve. it will drive you insane tying onto the laptops keyboad.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2005, 10:50 AM

The iCurve won't let a laptop slip, sorry.

I love the iCurve. It works well. I have an iLap, tried it once and hated it. Anyone wants one for a PB17? I will sell it for half price.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Mustang67  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2005, 01:34 PM

Yep, i agree with the majority of you on the icurve. It seems like the ilap is pretty much the same as having the powerbook on your lap.. period. The only thing is prevents is the user from feeling the heat.

Im getting an icurve, and hopefully a wireless/bt keyboard/mouse to go along with it.

Anybody recommend a good Blue tooth / wireless.... keyboard or mouse?

Thanks

kappa4life
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2005, 01:46 PM

I have an ilap. It is ok for the purpose it serves. Some how, mine bent, but oh well.

Josh

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 17, 2005, 02:41 PM

The iCurve may be designed to keep a powerbook from falling off, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. Airplanes are designed to not fall out of the air, but it still happens on a rare occasion.

I don't have either, but I see alot of people with an iCurve saying you'll also need an external keyboard (and mouse). If this is the case, then why not go with an external monitor also and keep the powerbook tucked away in clamshell mode?

I have an external monitor and don't use it currently because I have no external keyboard (I cannot stand to type of the powerbook keyboard and look at another monitor). If I did I would use it. At the same time, I know someone who has an external keyboard and uses their iBook's monitor. I honestly don't know how they can stand that... the notebook has to sit just far enough away that it makes it near impossible to read the screen without strain (12" model). (remember not everyone has a fancy keyboard drawer)

I guess it is probably on for 15" or 17" models, but I sure would have to have to have my 12" pushed back any further from my eyes, which would have to happen to fit a keyboard in
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

sniffer
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2005, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by fisherKing

check ebay as well...
Looks nice. Does it have a prize tag?

I have the iCurve. It's really nice for its purpose. But I found my PB 12" slipping a lot on it, and I didn't mount the rubber things correctly, so they fell off and the glue doesn't stick anymore. I haven't bothered with it for a good while, but it worked perfectly with the G3 iBook I had. Make sure you use some alcohol to clean the area you are mounting the rubber pieces on if you need them.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

clum
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2005, 03:56 PM

I have both for my PB 12" and use for completely different purposes. At home I use the iLap when sitting on the cough to keep the heat away and have a stable surface. Works well. Can work on a desk or table but doesn't help too much. In some ways it elevates it too high on a table.

I would never use the iCurve to type on. I recently got a 20" ACD for work and I connect my PB to it to expand my screen space. the iCurve is great to elevate the PB and screen to the level of the ACD. Again typing on the iCurve isn't comfortable or that stable so I use a BT mouse and keyboard.

-c

cryer
Jul 17, 2005, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Randman
The iCurve won't let a laptop slip, sorry.

I love the iCurve. It works well. I have an iLap, tried it once and hated it. Anyone wants one for a PB17? I will sell it for half price.
i am definitely very interested in buying yours for half-price!
sent you a pm

mhuie
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 17, 2005, 06:15 PM

Your two choices are on complete opposite scales.

One is designed for on desk use hooked up to external mouse and keyboard, the other is for using on your lap. The iLap not so great on the desk.

So it does really depend

I have the CoolPad and love it. It swivels, is height adjustable. The best part is that it is portable. I don't really get what the iCurve is for, it just seems to add the hassle of having to plug in an external keyboard. I've never had a problem using the PB 12 & 17 keyboards for an extended period of time.
MBP 1.83

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2005, 07:05 PM

Yeah that's my thoughts.. I can't really figure out the icurve, but maybe those who try to make their laptop into a desktop know better.
Aloha

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2005, 03:29 AM

It's simple -- the iCurve elevates your Powerbook to the level relative to the eye recommended by the medical pros who study ergonomics. Laptops are ergonomically bad for you, because if the keyboard is at the proper level to prevent carpal tunnel problems, then the monitor is too low, which can cause neck and back problems (I know -- I had them and it took ultrasound therapy to cure).

You're supposed to use the iCurve with an external keyboard, which can slide under it and give you back your deskspace. It's designed to let air flow around and under the laptop to facilitate cooling.
You're not really supposed to type on it. My Powerbook always felt surprisingly safe and stable on the iCurve -- those sticky things really grab. I'm sure you can find plenty of info on the web and even on these forums about ergonomics and laptop use. You can really damage your body by extended laptop use if you're not careful about body position.
As to why you'd use an iCurve instead of buying an external display -- iCurve = $35, external display = $200-300.

osxisfun
Jul 23, 2005, 06:36 PM

check ebay as well...

I checked ebay but could not find it. Any US dealers you can point me too?

thanks

mhuie
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 23, 2005, 08:42 PM

check ebay as well...
Looks interesting, but I'd be wary of putting anything made of metal near my Powerbook no less rest it on top of. Thats just asking for a scratch, especially with those hooks in front.
MBP 1.83

DylanG
Jul 24, 2005, 09:43 PM

iLap is good for using it on your lap. iCurve is good for the desk. I know they promote iLap as being for desk use too but I don't see much value in using it that way. But I definitely prefer the iLap when sitting on the couch.

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 24, 2005, 10:08 PM

Here's a good recent review of the iCurve that explains the ergonomics a bit, too.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2005, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by mhuie
Looks interesting, but I'd be wary of putting anything made of metal near my Powerbook no less rest it on top of. Thats just asking for a scratch, especially with those hooks in front.

rubber front & back, for the pb to sit on.
small, lite stand.
folds, easy to carry.

my fave so far (had 2 previous, including the coolpad)

here
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Forum Links
Forum Rules