Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > World of Warcraft Performance at 1920x1200

World of Warcraft Performance at 1920x1200
Lizard7
Jul 19, 2005, 12:42 PM

I'm contemplating one of the Dell 24" LCD deals. Is there any chance that World of Warcraft would run acceptably at 1920x1200 on a dual 2.5 with the stock radeon 9600xt?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2005, 01:49 PM

Survey says.... 4-5FPS in IF.

Probably would be choppy in most places. Would be better with a faster card, of course.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 19, 2005, 05:53 PM

No chance at all, my good man. But it's not like you're limited to that rez...you can still run at a lower one, it'll just look worse than on a CRT. I have one hooked up to my PC through a 9800Pro (slightly more powerful card) and I run my games at 1280x1024.
Living, working, and freezing in the Canadian north.

Lizard7  (op)
Jul 20, 2005, 12:11 AM

Thanks for the replies. I think I will give it a try, perhaps at a lower resolution. Does the dell monitor automatically stretch a resolution to fit the screen? Or is there a setting to use black bars around unused pixels and avoid interpolation?

a2daj
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2005, 12:53 AM

I think the Dell displays may allow both.

mhuie
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2005, 06:20 PM

I'd invest in a new card. My Radeon 9600 @ 1600x1200 is already pretty bad.
MBP 1.83

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2005, 08:23 AM

I play on my Dual 2.0 G5 and my PC and it runs just fine on my 23" CD at 1920x1200.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

mhuie
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2005, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by starman
I play on my Dual 2.0 G5 and my PC and it runs just fine on my 23" CD at 1920x1200.

Mike
I find that hard to believe. @ 1600x1200, lowest settings, I got around 19fps grinding and in 10-12 in Scholo during combat. Completely unplayable.
MBP 1.83

mhuie
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2005, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Lizard7
Thanks for the replies. I think I will give it a try, perhaps at a lower resolution. Does the dell monitor automatically stretch a resolution to fit the screen? Or is there a setting to use black bars around unused pixels and avoid interpolation?
I've tried running my LCD @ lower res, but in WoW, every time I cast a spell, I get a screen glitch. (Looks like like a radar, with a bar sweeping the screen). I believe the newer patches introduced this as I used to run in windowed mode on my PB pre 1.5. Now both systems dont work in windowed mode.
MBP 1.83

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2005, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by mhuie
I find that hard to believe. @ 1600x1200, lowest settings, I got around 19fps grinding and in 10-12 in Scholo during combat. Completely unplayable.
You have yet to mention what Mac you use.

7600?

mhuie
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2005, 04:19 PM

You have yet to mention what Mac you use.

7600?
It's in my sig. Dual 2.0 with the stock Radeon 9600.
MBP 1.83

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2005, 09:59 PM

How much RAM? 2GB here. That's probably your problem.

Mike

mhuie
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2005, 10:36 PM

How much RAM? 2GB here. That's probably your problem.

Mike
As in my sig, I have 2.5gb of ram.
MBP 1.83

rbarris
Blizzard Staff
Jul 23, 2005, 12:03 PM

Are you running any UI mods, and have you checked your FPS with the mods disabled if so?

We have been looking into some weird FPS drops that may be UI mod related, thus the question.

Lizard7  (op)
Jul 23, 2005, 12:17 PM

What video card do you have?

Mike

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2005, 01:39 PM

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2005, 01:48 PM

Ok, I just logged into the game. The lowest I got in IF was 11 fps, but it averages around 19. Outside, I got a full 30. There has to be something wrong with your system. I've been playing on my Mac since Feb. and I'm very picky about framerates. If the Mac was in ANY way detremental to playing, I wouldn't use it.

Mike

Lizard7  (op)
Jul 24, 2005, 04:27 PM

Sweet, I'll hope for the best when the 24-incher arrives. Do you have all the video settings in WoW turned down low?

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2005, 08:08 PM

No, all default.

mhuie
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 25, 2005, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by rbarris
Are you running any UI mods, and have you checked your FPS with the mods disabled if so?

We have been looking into some weird FPS drops that may be UI mod related, thus the question.
I'm running no UI mods. All details are turn to the lowest settings. Normal outside frame rate is ~19fps. Solo grinding is playable, however, any instance runs or even WSG is pretty bad. <12fps.
MBP 1.83

rbarris
Blizzard Staff
Jul 25, 2005, 10:01 PM

Something is definitely wrong here.. pick a couple favorite indoor/outdoor locations and mail me a screenshot of the FPS you are getting there, for extra credit put Activity Monitor in the background using windowed mode so I can see the WoW CPU percentage etc..

Running minimum detail settings on a dual G5 should be a lot higher than "19 fps".

email: wowmacteam123 "at" blizzard dot com

mac freak
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2005, 01:54 AM

I run WoW at 1920x1200 (23" CHD) on my rev. A G5 DP1.8/Radeon 9800 Pro/1.5 GB, at max settings (2xFSAA set in control panel, plus glow and everything) and it's slow but certainly playable. I mean, it's an MMORPG -- you do combat by clicking a monster and clicking attack. There's no quick reflex advantage, no hasty turns you need to make...who cares if you're only getting 15 fps? It looks sweet!
Be happy.

PConvert
Jul 26, 2005, 10:01 AM

Because when you're running around fragging people in Alterac Valley, Warsong Gulch, or in last night's case, THE UNDERCITY WHICH GOT PWNED LOLLERSKATES...19 fps doesnt cut it. I need to strafe, insta cast, de-curse, jump, position, precisely time counterspells against priests GAY INSTANT CAST HEALS, 180 turn (with the mouse, quake style), and AoE...19 fps don't cut it ^^.

How do I see FPS in mac version of WoW?
-Philadelphia, PA-

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 26, 2005, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by mac freak
I run WoW at 1920x1200 (23" CHD) on my rev. A G5 DP1.8/Radeon 9800 Pro/1.5 GB, at max settings (2xFSAA set in control panel, plus glow and everything) and it's slow but certainly playable. I mean, it's an MMORPG -- you do combat by clicking a monster and clicking attack. There's no quick reflex advantage, no hasty turns you need to make...who cares if you're only getting 15 fps? It looks sweet!
Incorrect. Any PVP situation, and even some highend PVE, is going to require those reflexes and quick turns. Otherise, you get those nasty "Target is not in front of you" and "Not in line of sight" msgs. 30fps is minimum in this game for optimal play. Anything less is gimped.

60 Druid and 45 Mage on Icecrown
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

sniffer
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2005, 08:39 AM

Agree with PCConvert and MacNStein, FPS matters in WOW. I wonder how many percentages of the Mac-WOW population that swear to distant attack characters over melee close-combat characters? Not that it matters to me since I don't play WOW anymore. To much verbal violence.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

mhuie
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 28, 2005, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by rbarris
Something is definitely wrong here.. pick a couple favorite indoor/outdoor locations and mail me a screenshot of the FPS you are getting there, for extra credit put Activity Monitor in the background using windowed mode so I can see the WoW CPU percentage etc..

Running minimum detail settings on a dual G5 should be a lot higher than "19 fps".

email: wowmacteam123 "at" blizzard dot com

Thanks for the tips, I'm getting around 20fps now, but I'm having other issues. Grinding is ok. PVP is not.

The main thing is that while I'm moving, some hotkeys dont work. Seems to be an issue where theres too many keys pressed down? I have some action keys mapped to shift+ 1 thru =, and while I'm strafing and jumping (ie, holding Q and D, and tapping space, I cannot cast those spells. Which is essentially pressing 5 keys at once. If i'm standing without moving, they cast fine. I'm not sure what this has to do with, as on my PB 1.5 with the radeon 9700, I experience no problems.

Anyways as the other posters said, PVP is still pretty much unplayable. I was in WSG and I had to switch to my PC (P4 3.0. 6600GT) because I was pretty much owned by melee classes because I couldn't see them move fast enough and I wasn't able to kite.

I guess if I want to play on my PowerMac, I'll drop the res down.

58 Priest, 48 Rogue, 26 Shammy
MBP 1.83

rbarris
Blizzard Staff
Jul 29, 2005, 12:04 AM

Thanks for the tips, I'm getting around 20fps now, but I'm having other issues. Grinding is ok. PVP is not.

The main thing is that while I'm moving, some hotkeys dont work. Seems to be an issue where theres too many keys pressed down? I have some action keys mapped to shift+ 1 thru =, and while I'm strafing and jumping (ie, holding Q and D, and tapping space, I cannot cast those spells. Which is essentially pressing 5 keys at once. If i'm standing without moving, they cast fine. I'm not sure what this has to do with, as on my PB 1.5 with the radeon 9700, I experience no problems.

Anyways as the other posters said, PVP is still pretty much unplayable. I was in WSG and I had to switch to my PC (P4 3.0. 6600GT) because I was pretty much owned by melee classes because I couldn't see them move fast enough and I wasn't able to kite.

I guess if I want to play on my PowerMac, I'll drop the res down.

58 Priest, 48 Rogue, 26 Shammy
Which shader effect options do you have on?

threestain
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2005, 10:30 AM

Would a TiBook, 1GHz have any chance of running WoW accetably, at any resolution/detail/etc?

Just cos my friends want me to join in and I'm interested, but still...

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2005, 10:35 AM

My friend uses a 1 GHz iBook to play and he's happy with it, so I imagine a 1 GHz TiBook would do. Just make sure you've got lots of RAM.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

threestain
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2005, 11:19 AM

I've got 512 at the moment, but computer is annoying me so I'm probably going to up it to 1Gb at some point soon. Would there be any market value in two 256 sticks?

anim8ing
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 19, 2005, 05:50 PM

I run WoW on my 1ghz TiBook w/ 768mb RAM, the only place that I have issues is IF, and that's only while it's loading the 300+ people that are there all the time. PvP in WSG is just fine as well.

markclausing
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2005, 07:12 PM

I'm playing at a good 30fps while grinding and 25+fps in instances. Turning of the 'full screen glow effect" got me a good 30% speed increase or something and my terrain distance and world detail to the lowest setting.
Textures are at maximum setting.

This all in windowed mode, which I usually resize to something a bit bigger than 1024x768.
http://www.prinshendrikkade.com
MacBook Pro 2Ghz 2Gb 100Gb 256Mb

mhuie
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2005, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by PConvert
Because when you're running around fragging people in Alterac Valley, Warsong Gulch, or in last night's case, THE UNDERCITY WHICH GOT PWNED LOLLERSKATES...19 fps doesnt cut it. I need to strafe, insta cast, de-curse, jump, position, precisely time counterspells against priests GAY INSTANT CAST HEALS, 180 turn (with the mouse, quake style), and AoE...19 fps don't cut it ^^.

How do I see FPS in mac version of WoW?
Same as on PC, CTRL-R

BTW, priests dont have insta heals, except for humans who get deperate prayer as a racial, but thats on a 30 min timer.
MBP 1.83

webb3201
Senior User
Sep 8, 2005, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
My friend uses a 1 GHz iBook to play and he's happy with it, so I imagine a 1 GHz TiBook would do. Just make sure you've got lots of RAM.
Im on a 1.25 G4 Powerbook at 64 mb of vram and 768 ram and have no issues playing two characters into the 50s and a couple in the 40s. I have not played high level instances yet (end game), but I have done all the usual instances for those levels. I played a 10 man raid of Mauradon yesterday and all went well (other than the fact that we stunk and wiped a couple of times.

Note, it does waiting or a few minutes to warp into Ogrimmar on a Friday night, but once it loads into ram, all seems fine.
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

MartiNZ
Senior User
Sep 8, 2005, 09:13 PM

I'm on a 1.5GHz, 1.25GB RAM 12" PowerBook and playing mainly on dialup. I don't think I ever get much above 15FPS with all graphics settings at the lowest level ... but I'm about to level to 40, so it's certainly doable . I haven't done any PvP though ... it just doesn't appeal.

Tobyo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2005, 12:57 AM

I'm running WoW on a Dual 1.8 G5 with 2 Gigs of RAM, an ATI X800 and a Dell 2405 24" LCD monitor via DVI.

I've got all the bells and whistles on (although I've disabled Vertical sync and set terrain distance to 3/4) - It looks absolutely fantastic. It's very playable - haven't done a framerate check but it's only very slightly slower than running it at 1024x768 (teensy teensy bit slower).

If you've got specs similar to mine, I can recommend the Dell 2405 - brilliant monitor, exceptionally good value.

Cheers,
Tobes.

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 10, 2005, 01:21 AM

Just FYI for those tweaking the video settings...

The only setting that causes significant FPS slowdown is terrain distance. I keep that on the second-lowest setting on my iMac G4. Object distance makes a slight difference. Most other effects, including the pixel shaders, make no difference at all that I can see, so I have them maxed. Don't leave the settings on default, you've gotta turn on the pixel shaders for the game to look its best.

Getting drunk just isn't worth it otherwise...

a2daj
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2005, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock
Just FYI for those tweaking the video settings...

The only setting that causes significant FPS slowdown is terrain distance. I keep that on the second-lowest setting on my iMac G4. Object distance makes a slight difference. Most other effects, including the pixel shaders, make no difference at all that I can see, so I have them maxed. Don't leave the settings on default, you've gotta turn on the pixel shaders for the game to look its best.

Getting drunk just isn't worth it otherwise...
I've seen a number of spots where Full Screen Glow causes a 20 fps drop. So I turn that off.

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 10, 2005, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by a2daj
I've seen a number of spots where Full Screen Glow causes a 20 fps drop. So I turn that off.
Really? What graphic card do you have in your Mac, out of curiosity?

a2daj
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2005, 03:56 PM

Radeon X800

MartiNZ
Senior User
Sep 11, 2005, 11:03 PM

Full screen glow causes corruption to the image in the 'character' window on mine ... that's my reason for turning it off .

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2005, 12:35 AM

So that's what's causing character window corruption. I had no idea.

MartiNZ
Senior User
Sep 12, 2005, 06:43 PM

Heh, yeah. I put up with it for a while then decided something must be responsible. Conveniently, that was one of the first things I tried turning off ... after messing with the colour depth and effects it speaks of in relation to that - you can get some pretty messed up graphics by changing those.

I still leave the death glow on even though it corrupts the character window as well - a) I'm not often looking at that in death, and b) it just wouldn't be death without it .

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2005, 09:54 PM

I'm looking to buy WoW and play it on my iMac G5 2.0 Ghz with 1.5 mb of ram. It has the built in video card and I'm on a airport extreme wirless network. I hear the server latency is an issue when playing as well as lag due to high requirements... How is it gonna run on my set up? I don't want 15 fps as I will be playing PvP

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 21, 2005, 08:29 PM

Hi Ca$h.

smacktad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2005, 12:11 AM

My friend was over the other day, and I showed him http://www.exploitsrus.com/wow.html It is a site with cheats, bugs, dupes, etc for world of warcraft. He told me it was against the rules for wow to do this. Is this true? I am used to cheating on video games for my whole life, so I was sort of shocked to hear this.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Oct 16, 2005, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by smacktad
My friend was over the other day, and I showed him http://www.exploitsrus.com/wow.html It is a site with cheats, bugs, dupes, etc for world of warcraft. He told me it was against the rules for wow to do this. Is this true? I am used to cheating on video games for my whole life, so I was sort of shocked to hear this.
No...it's not against the rules...keep using the cheats and exploits. hehehe

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2005, 12:57 PM

you cant really play World of Warcraft with a FPS under 25.

G Barnett
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 18, 2005, 05:49 PM

I do quite fine playing with FPS ranging from 12-25 or so. Raiding Molten Core, Zul'Gurub, etc. It's when it drops below 6fps that I start having problems reacting. Now, I do play a Hunter but even on my lower level warrior I don't seem to have too much in the way of problems. Do I wish I could run it tons smoother? Sure, but right now I just have to adapt to what I have.

My frame rate can, I believe, be considered quite good for my system: an upgraded Digital Audio G4 1.33ghz with 892mb RAM and a 128MB Radeon 9800.
Life is like a clay pigeon -- sooner or later, someone is going to shoot you down and even if they miss you'll still wind up shattered and broken in the end.

mr. burns
Senior User
Oct 22, 2005, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Peter
you cant really play World of Warcraft with a FPS under 25.

uhhh yeah you can. i do and i PvP all the time. got sergeant before i even hit 30 and i haven't lost a duel to anyone less than 5 levels above me.

not all who wander are lost.

Forum Links
Forum Rules