Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Searching for 2005 Booq PowerSleeve

Searching for 2005 Booq PowerSleeve
Fusion
Senior User
Nov 11, 2005, 05:36 AM

I had a meeting today and low and behold the client turned out to be a fellow PowerBook user.

She had a case with her that I absolutely loved. It was the Booq PowerSleeve 15 from 2005. She mentioned that she got it at a local shop, but when I showed up to purchase it, they said they are not a Booq reseller anymore and were completely out of stock

Then I went online and noticed that they have since come out with a new model. This new model however is compatible with the 14" iBook which is significantly deeper than a 15" PowerBook and overtime I have seen a case made for both it boils down to a company cutting corners to release 1 case for 2 computers and it doesn't fit either like a glove.

I absolutely loved the 2005 model that she had however and now I am trying to get my hands on it. It's the vertical model and I have also posted a picture of it to help.

I've checked the obvious places like eBay, Booq's website list of resellers, etc... and I can't seem to track one down. I did find a reseller in AUS that had them for 99, but they don't ship to the US or Canada so I'm out of luck with that one.

Any help?

lafiamma
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2005, 08:42 AM

Why not order it from their site? Not sure if they send it to Canada though

DylanG
Nov 11, 2005, 12:49 PM

Found a hit on eBay. Seller is even in Canada.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-NEW-Booq-P...QQcmdZViewItem

Froogle also came up with a couple of vendors.

Fusion  (op)
Senior User
Nov 11, 2005, 01:41 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I am American and have a US address as well. I got an email back from Booq customer service this morning informing me that they have some of the older models in the "closeout" section so I'll be able to pick it up from there.

Dylan, thanks for the link, I would have used it but buying it direct is cheaper.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2005, 02:34 PM

I've had a 2005 before, and I liked it, but the 2006 looks like a massive improvement, with the extra stash pockets—and for me—looks. If anything, the skimping would be on the 14" side, since the dimensions fit the PowerBook 15" better (in height). Six, half-dozen, blah blah… I suppose an extra inch on the width might be too much? I'm considering it, though.

If you're using a backpack, this is the way to go. Unfortunately, the price is insane! But hey, a US$90 investment in protection for a US$2,000+ tool is not necessarily a bad thing.

Fusion  (op)
Senior User
Nov 11, 2005, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by iomatic
I've had a 2005 before, and I liked it, but the 2006 looks like a massive improvement, with the extra stash pockets—and for me—looks. If anything, the skimping would be on the 14" side, since the dimensions fit the PowerBook 15" better (in height). Six, half-dozen, blah blah… I suppose an extra inch on the width might be too much? I'm considering it, though.

If you're using a backpack, this is the way to go. Unfortunately, the price is insane! But hey, a US$90 investment in protection for a US$2,000+ tool is not necessarily a bad thing.

I already pulled the trigger, and yes, 1 inch extra width is too much. I want it to fit like a glove, not just fit.

I only paid around $65 from their website though since it is last year's model

iomatic
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2005, 05:30 PM

Still a good model.

I can still only see my lines from 6–8 inches away

----

Actually it looks like the newer models fit better (left to right, powerbook placed in vertically) Oh well. still a good buy.

lafiamma
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2005, 11:55 AM

just somethings i want to share, someone mentioned that the powersleeve does not protect against the top two corner of your laptop. The top two corners as in the two corners that are closest to your hand if you are using the handle to carry the powersleeve. At first it seemed to me as not a big deal but when i think about it, if you carry your laptop inside a powersleeve and using the handle to carry it, or even if you are carrying it on your shoulder, the human walking motion usually swing the bag to-and-fro and eventhough the two corners seems small enough area, the probability of getting knock against like to edge of a table or something hard is pretty high. Just something to consider hopefully this post would benefit someone

iomatic
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2005, 01:10 PM

This is for the new one, not the old one… hmm, appears that way. I think I'll change my order! Don't remember the old one revealing anything. Crap!

Originally Posted by lafiamma
… using the handle to carry it, or even if you are carrying it on your shoulder, the human walking motion usually swing the bag to-and-fro and eventhough the two corners seems small enough area, the probability of getting knock against like to edge of a table or something hard is pretty high. Just something to consider hopefully this post would benefit someone
I disagree that swinging it would increase the probability of hitting something on that corner, more likely, it would happen on the bottom corner first. But still, why they left that chunk out, I have no idea.

( Last edited by iomatic; Nov 12, 2005 at 01:22 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules