Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > ShapeShifter problem

ShapeShifter problem
natey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2004, 02:30 PM

I can't double click guikits anymore. Seems ShapeShifter is not default. Anyone know how to fix this?

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
May 9, 2004, 02:36 PM

Select a GuiKit and get info for it (by menu: File, Get Info) or just hold [command] and press [i]. Some way down the Get info panel is an option called "Open With". Choose the ShapeShifter Preference pane from this menu. Then click on "Change all". This will make all GuiKits open in ShapeShifter by default. Hope this solves your problem.

Edit: It shows in the "Open With" menu as "ShapeShifter Proxy". It should be right there. If it's not you'll have to work out where "ShapeShifter Proxy" lives.
iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

natey  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2004, 03:15 PM

it's greyed out...

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
May 9, 2004, 03:25 PM

Um... I have found where the "ShapeShifter Proxy" lives. It lives deep inside the guts of the ShapeShifter preference pane so I don't think you can even navigate to it to choose it.

I would try trashing the preference files for shapeshifter in that case. I think it has two. Do a search on your hard drive for "ShapeShifter", and trash the two .plist files that it finds. Then log out and in again. Obviously Shapeshifter will have turned off, and you'll have to enter your registration details again etc, but it should hopefully sort out the problem.
iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
May 9, 2004, 03:50 PM

Copy the ShapeShifter Proxy to the desktop and choose it there.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

smeger
Mac Elite
May 9, 2004, 05:06 PM

Just double-click ShapeShifter Proxy once, I think that'll do it. Alternately, if you still have the installer package, you can navigate to

Install ShapeShifter.app/Contents/Resources/ui/

and double-click "InstallerHelper".

Some programs like Cocktail are removing the double-click association. I understand that Cocktail has fixed this, and I've worked around it on my end for upcoming releases of ShapeShifter.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

fireside
Professional Poster
May 9, 2004, 05:48 PM

i have another ShapeShifter bug: on the list to select what theme you want, and the theme has multiple variations, and you open up the multiple variations, the horizontal scroll bar appears even though i don't need it.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
May 9, 2004, 08:18 PM

Small bug fireside, but the UI is due for a re-vamp.
click one

fireside
Professional Poster
May 9, 2004, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
Small bug fireside, but the UI is due for a re-vamp.
of course, but its still rather annoying.

ps: why does it take so long to "load" the themes on each new start up? couldn't you cache it or something?

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
May 9, 2004, 08:58 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
of course, but its still rather annoying.

ps: why does it take so long to "load" the themes on each new start up? couldn't you cache it or something?
yeah, i agree.
Also why not just load the images that correspond to each theme (the preview image) So that the startup will be faster.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
May 9, 2004, 09:20 PM

Takes only less than 5sec for me, and I've got over 30 themes.
click one

fireside
Professional Poster
May 9, 2004, 10:43 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
Takes only less than 5sec for me, and I've got over 30 themes.
thats 4.5 seconds too long my friend.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
May 9, 2004, 11:10 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
thats 4.5 seconds too long my friend.
Hay better than before v1.2, it took 20 sec before!
click one

fireside
Professional Poster
May 10, 2004, 01:59 PM

it took me ~15 seconds from clicking the icon in Sys Prefs to where i can actually do something (meaning, where i can see what themes i have). i only have 17 themes not including Aqua. too slow my friend.

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
May 10, 2004, 02:08 PM

With my 26 themes installed it takes:

17 seconds from a clean cache, 5 seconds thereafter, 7-10 seconds if a new theme is being installed.
I don't think that's too long to wait. It's not like you need to access the pane frequently.

Hmm.... Fireside seems to have a different opinion to the rest of us. Let's all flame him!

( Last edited by Ozzpot; May 10, 2004 at 03:41 PM. )

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
May 10, 2004, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by Ozzpot:
Hmm.... Fireside seems to have a different opinion to threst of us. Let's all flame him!

lol

It's reasonably fast now, and it's not like we can't spare 5sec out of our life to view our themes. It takes at least that long to load an iContainer into CandyBar... Faster is always better and if Jason can make it faster I'm all for it, but I don't think it's slow enough to be complaining about.
click one

Forum Links
Forum Rules