Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > New Apps and Windows all open to the background.

New Apps and Windows all open to the background.
MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2004, 03:07 PM

Here is another newbie question

Lately, Whenever I open any App or New Window, it opens straight to the back of the line of running windows. Say I'm on Finder, and I open Safari, the Safari window will go behind the Finder window.

Usually when I open a program, I want to use the one I just opened for whatever reason I opened it for, so it is kind of a pain.

This is especially bad when I want to use a small window that I can't just click the extra screen space (such as Terminal or System Prefs) and I would have to use Expose and bring it to the front. Any way to change this to when I open a new App or window to bring it straight to the front?
iamwhor3hay

King Chung Huang
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2004, 12:34 AM

I've been having this problem recently, too. I'm not sure what causes it. I usually end up restarting to fix it. Good excuse for a break!

MrForgetable  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2004, 11:07 PM

Originally posted by King Chung Huang:
I've been having this problem recently, too. I'm not sure what causes it. I usually end up restarting to fix it. Good excuse for a break!
The problem is restarting won't fix it for me Time to get Onyx?
iamwhor3hay

kcmac
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2004, 09:01 AM

Are you sure you aren't clicking on the app icon too much from the finder? If you click one too many times, it will keep the finder window in front. (My wife does this a lot.) I finally just convinced her to use the dock to open apps.

MrForgetable  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2004, 09:23 PM

Originally posted by kcmac:
Are you sure you aren't clicking on the app icon too much from the finder? If you click one too many times, it will keep the finder window in front. (My wife does this a lot.) I finally just convinced her to use the dock to open apps.
yeah, it doesn't matter what i click, how many times i click it, or if i open it from the dock or not, it will open to the background.

but after a series of GUI freezes last night, it's fixed.
iamwhor3hay

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2004, 03:43 AM

Strange. I would check Console for any unusual error messages and then do the standard disk repair routine, especially since you had a spate of freezes.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

MrForgetable  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2004, 08:56 PM

it was back a couple of days ago.
iamwhor3hay

Forum Links
Forum Rules