Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > problem with upgrading ibook G3 help please!

problem with upgrading ibook G3 help please!
aldpam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2005, 02:34 PM

Hello,
I have a problem, I purchased a used ibook G3 w/366mhz, 192mgs of ram and a 3gb hd. I put os 10.2 on it and it ran fine, I should have been satisfied with it, but nooo... I wanted to upgrade it.
First off let me say that I have taken apart and upgraded many computers before, and have never had a problem, but I have no idea what went wrong here.
I bought 256mgs of ram and I made sure that the firmware had been updated first, so I installed that and I installed a 12gb toshiba hd. (I know not much room, but it was really cheap, and its not my primary laptop).
Put the ibook back together and nothing...just a grey screen, so I zapped the pram, I reset the pmu, nothing.
So, I opened it back up, thinking maybe the memory was not compatible, started it up and got the blinking ? and folder, so I attempted to load the os, but there was no hd, I used disk utilty, I used a 3rd party utility, nothing, no hd.
So I'm thinking maybe the hd has a problem, evreything else in the system profiler was there, and everything else was working, so for a second time I took the ibook apart, and put the old hd back in, started it up, and still no hd being recognized.
Now remember, this hd was working before, but now its not there, does anybody have any clue, as to what the problem could be?
Any response would be much appreciated, otherwise I'll be selling it for parts.

pat++
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2005, 05:27 PM

aldpam  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2005, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by pat++
Thanks for the link, it was very informative,but it didn't work, the hard drive is still not mounting.
I tried numerous different combos based on the info, and I reset the defaults inbetween, so as not to confuse the comp. and still can not get anywhere.
When I go into OF it says my boot disc is hd:,\\:tbxi, I think I tried everything.
Could something have gone wrong with the motherboard during the upgrade to cause it to not recognize a hd.

Forum Links
Forum Rules