Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > FireWire enclosure with onlyl 400 Mb/s - outdated?

FireWire enclosure with onlyl 400 Mb/s - outdated?
Veltliner
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2010, 12:46 AM

I just replaced my internal hard drive in my iMac with a 1 Tb drive.

The old hard drive was good, so I bought an enclosure. MacMall sold me a Macally unit - only for me to find out that this thing had only FireWire400.

MacMall | MacAlly Peripherals Hi-Speed eSATA/FireWire/USB2.0 Storage enclosure for 3.5" SATA Hard Disk Drive G-S350SUA

(In store they charge you $58, including tax)

Isn't this silly they sell such units with such slow FireWire connection? I mean, it cost 58$! And they sell these a lot. Shall I return this thing and get a FireWire800 enclosure? (There's a 250 Gb drive in it).

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2010, 01:33 AM

The burst/sustained read speed of the SATA drive is faster than FW400.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2010, 01:49 AM

$58? You could get a FW800 enclosure for not much more than that.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2010, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
$58? You could get a FW800 enclosure for not much more than that.
I know. I didn't think FireWire400-only enclosures were still on sale.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2010, 03:57 AM

Is a FireWire400 connection fast enough for HD video editing?

(other than MacMall overcharged for the enclosure, it is a pretty nice looking enclosure, and it seems to be well made).

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2010, 09:19 AM

FW400 enclosures are still the norm for FW. In fact, the most common enclosure interface is USB2, and that is even slower.

That said, in 2011 Apple should just add eSATA to its desktops. I bought a $260 small-form-factor PC recently, and even that has eSATA, which is faster than even FW800 and a heluvalot cheaper.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2010, 11:02 AM

I haven't seen a FireWire enclosure without 800 in a while.

I doubt Apple will add eSATA anywhere. It's too limited-purpose, and just adding it to desktops and not to laptops would draw a lot of flak.

They'll wait for LightPeak.

amazing
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2010, 01:18 PM

you should probably get a quad-interface dock like this one:

NewerTech Voyager Q- Quad Interface SATA 2.... (FWU2ES2HDK) at OWC

Bare HDs are getting so cheap, everybody'll just have a "filing cabinet" for various labelled HDs.

-Q-
Dec 16, 2010, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post

Bare HDs are getting so cheap, everybody'll just have a "filing cabinet" for various labelled HDs.
That's the path I took. Working great (one year in), so far.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2010, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
FW400 enclosures are still the norm for FW. In fact, the most common enclosure interface is USB2, and that is even slower.

That said, in 2011 Apple should just add eSATA to its desktops. I bought a $260 small-form-factor PC recently, and even that has eSATA, which is faster than even FW800 and a heluvalot cheaper.
I hope for eSATA as well.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2010, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post

Nice solution for using one dock for several hard drives.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 17, 2010, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I haven't seen a FireWire enclosure without 800 in a while.

I doubt Apple will add eSATA anywhere. It's too limited-purpose, and just adding it to desktops and not to laptops would draw a lot of flak.

They'll wait for LightPeak.
Limited purpose? I would suspect that eSATA gets FAR more use than FW.

Sure you can't buy an eSATA audio interface or whatever, but for every FW audio interface that gets sold, there are a bazillion eSATA drives that are sold. In terms of simple practicality, USB2 and eSATA wins, except in niche markets, and I say that as someone who has several FW800 devices... including a #!$@^#@$ $80 FW800 three-port hub.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 17, 2010, 12:19 PM

Most PCs don't even have FireWire, and if they do have it, it's usually only FireWire 400. Of course, most PCs still have PS2, serial, and/or parallel ports. I haven't quite figured that one out yet.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 17, 2010, 02:33 PM

Limited purpose? I would suspect that eSATA gets FAR more use than FW.

Sure you can't buy an eSATA audio interface or whatever, but for every FW audio interface that gets sold, there are a bazillion eSATA drives that are sold. In terms of simple practicality, USB2 and eSATA wins, except in niche markets, and I say that as someone who has several FW800 devices... including a #!$@^#@$ $80 FW800 three-port hub.
Pro audio and pro video may be niche markets from your perspective, but they're friggin' huge.

And yes, a single purpose is fairly limited, as opposed to something like USB, FireWire, or, in fact - and this is the big one that means eSATA won't happen - LightPeak.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 17, 2010, 03:05 PM

Pro audio and pro video may be niche markets from your perspective, but they're friggin' huge.

And yes, a single purpose is fairly limited, as opposed to something like USB, FireWire, or, in fact - and this is the big one that means eSATA won't happen - LightPeak.
Well, the point is huge or not, it pales in comparison to eSATA usage for drives in both the pro and consumer use. FW800 is really just pro use, and maybe a few amateurs like me. Like I said, external eSATA for home PCs trumps FW800 (and FW400) by a huge margin. If aimed for common usage, FW800 isn't even in the running.

The reason eSATA won't happen is Steve Jobs. Nothing more.

He tried to foster FW royalties in the era of USB2... and failed miserably. Now he's trying to foster FW800 in the era of USB2, USB3, and eSATA, and is failiing even more miserably. I find it rather sadly telling that it's now just as easy to find USB3 drives out there as it is FW800 drives.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 17, 2010, 08:23 PM

Point taken about FireWire royalties. Apple ****ed that up.

But honestly: how many people need/use eSATA over USB?

And audio/video guys NEED FireWire. I'd love to see FW1600. But I think I'd prefer lightpeak.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2010, 09:52 PM

I've seen plenty of PC laptops (and even netbooks) with combination USB/eSATA ports on them lately. Likewise, a lot of the USB enclosures being sold nowadays also include eSATA ports. If you've already got eSATA on both your computer and your external hard drive, why would you not use it?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2010, 10:09 PM

The reason eSATA won't happen is Steve Jobs. Nothing more.

He tried to foster FW royalties in the era of USB2... and failed miserably. Now he's trying to foster FW800 in the era of USB2, USB3, and eSATA, and is failiing even more miserably. I find it rather sadly telling that it's now just as easy to find USB3 drives out there as it is FW800 drives.
Suprisingly, there aren't many FW800 enclosures out there, and if there are, they are ridiculously expensive.

It doesn't make sense to spend $90 on a FW800 enclosure when you get a G-Tech 1 Tb external drive with a quad interface for $165.

I agree with you that eSATA would be nice to have. Or is there a reason I couldn't use an eSATA connection when using an external hard drive for video editing in FCP? It's fast and that should count.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2010, 04:11 AM

The Point isn't that eSATA can't be used for FCP. It can't be used for cameras and audio interfacing.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2010, 06:36 AM

The Point isn't that eSATA can't be used for FCP. It can't be used for cameras and audio interfacing.
Which means I'm going to return the FW400 enclosure to MacMall. Their own fault if they sell me such outdated stuff.

I found the FW800 version of this same enclosure for only $12 more on Amazon, so I'll be fine then.

Amazon.com: Macally GS350SUAB Hi-Speed eSATA/1394A/1394B/USB2.0 Storage Enclosure for 3.5inch SATA HDD: Electronics

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2010, 12:17 PM

Apple had FW800 and FW400 ports on their iMacs.

I was hoping for a new iMac Apple to drop FW400 and keep FW800, but to add eSATA as well.

I was pissed to learn that as predicted, Apple dropped FW400 and kept FW800, but added nothing.

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
Suprisingly, there aren't many FW800 enclosures out there, and if there are, they are ridiculously expensive.
Yeah, that was my point. Despite the fact FW800 has been out there so long, it has very very little adoption. USB 3 isn't very common either, but it's nearly as common as FW800, despite being brand-spankin' new technology.

Because FW800 is so uncommon, everything FW800 is bloody expensive, like my simple and fugly 3-port hub that cost me $80 plus shipping.

cgc
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2010, 07:53 PM

Which means I'm going to return the FW400 enclosure to MacMall. Their own fault if they sell me such outdated stuff.
It's not their fault you bought it but luckily most places accept returns

I have a quad interface enclosure and FW800 is quite a bit faster than FW400 (e.g. 55MBps vs 42MBps) but eSATA runs sustained at 70-80MBps.
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 18, 2010, 08:13 PM

I found the FW800 version of this same enclosure for only $12 more on Amazon, so I'll be fine then.

Amazon.com: Macally GS350SUAB Hi-Speed eSATA/1394A/1394B/USB2.0 Storage Enclosure for 3.5inch SATA HDD: Electronics
I'd get one with an Oxford chipset instead. Oxford chipsets are known to have better performance than the Initio chipsets that Macally uses.

Here's one I found that has an Oxford 934DSB and costs less than the Macally:

Oxford 934DSB SATA II Hard Drive Enclosure with Firewire 800/400 USB 2.0 and eSATA from CoolDrives.com

If you like the Macally's Mac Pro-ish look, OWC has a similar-looking one that has an Oxford 924:

OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro Quad Interface eS... (MEFW924AL1K) at OWC

edit: never mind! It appears that with their latest enclosures, Macally has finally switched to Oxford. Oddly enough, though, they only seem to mention this on their European site and not on the American version.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2010, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
It's not their fault you bought it but luckily most places accept returns

I have a quad interface enclosure and FW800 is quite a bit faster than FW400 (e.g. 55MBps vs 42MBps) but eSATA runs sustained at 70-80MBps.
FW 800 does up to 80 MBps, sustained, but yes, eSATA is a good 20% faster.

USB 2.0, FireWire, Or eSATA: Which Interface Should You Use? : USB/FireWire/eSATA: 2.5” And 3.5” Storage Options

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2010, 05:28 AM

I'd get one with an Oxford chipset instead. Oxford chipsets are known to have better performance than the Initio chipsets that Macally uses.

Here's one I found that has an Oxford 934DSB and costs less than the Macally:

Oxford 934DSB SATA II Hard Drive Enclosure with Firewire 800/400 USB 2.0 and eSATA from CoolDrives.com

If you like the Macally's Mac Pro-ish look, OWC has a similar-looking one that has an Oxford 924:

OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro Quad Interface eS... (MEFW924AL1K) at OWC

edit: never mind! It appears that with their latest enclosures, Macally has finally switched to Oxford. Oddly enough, though, they only seem to mention this on their European site and not on the American version.
Do you think it possible Europe gets Oxford, and the US a different chipset?

Actually, the drive from Cooldrives is the same price as the Macally and looks good.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2010, 05:57 AM

The serial number's the same, so I assume it's the same unit. The US site just doesn't mention the chipset for some reason.

cgc
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2010, 09:10 AM

FW 800 does up to 80 MBps, sustained, but yes, eSATA is a good 20% faster.
I know, I posted my real-world numbers.

Actually, the drive from Cooldrives is the same price as the Macally and looks good.
My CoolDrive has been working perfectly for the last 2-3 years and it's got an Oxford chipset although I forgot the number). Highly recommend the CoolDrives.

Chito
Senior User
Dec 19, 2010, 03:09 PM

Their fault? Don't you read product descriptions before you buy?
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2010, 03:46 PM

The serial number's the same, so I assume it's the same unit. The US site just doesn't mention the chipset for some reason.
I'll take another look at the Cool Drive, but I think I'll go for that Oxford Chip Macally. They seem to be built very solidly, and I love the design.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2010, 10:53 PM

Semi-OT, but do modern FW enclosures suffer from the same issues as older FW enclosures, where certain chipsets can cause data corruption and such?
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2010, 01:57 AM

You need to buy a good one, and the better version of the Macally (with FireWire 800) that got just delivered, has an Oxford chipset.

All my externals (except one Iomega portable drive) have now Oxford chipsets in them.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 27, 2010, 03:10 AM

So you've inspected the enclosure, and it does indeed have an Oxford chipset in it?

Good to know. Macally may now be a good option for drive enclosures.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2010, 03:41 AM

So you've inspected the enclosure, and it does indeed have an Oxford chipset in it?

Good to know. Macally may now be a good option for drive enclosures.
Yes.

Had to peel the OK sticker off.

It says "Oxford Semiconductor OXUF 9319SB-LQAG SL9185.1

Nice build, good quality screws, easy fit.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 27, 2010, 04:14 AM

Nice. Those enclosures aren't too expensive, either.

Forum Links
Forum Rules