Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" Battery Life - What SHOULD it be?

12" Battery Life - What SHOULD it be?
trevorM
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2005, 12:25 AM

Hey Y'all,

I got a new 12" Powerbook about 12 days ago or so now and am really happy with it. I have a 15" TiBook and a G5 with 30" display so though the 12" would be the ultimate replacement for my TiBook becuase its small, light, fast and not over priced in the scheme of things.

In the first week of using it, I was delighted to discover my battery was happily running for 4 hours with airport and bluetooth turned off (Perfect when doing Legal research; Briefs etc) but now this week I notice battery run time is 2 hours only off a full charge.

Is 2 hours what I should be expecting - that is without bluetooth or Airport being on and the best possible power saving settings?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Apple Powermac G5: Dual 1.85GHz | 80Gb System | 3Gb Ram | GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL | BT | Airport | Apple 30" Cinema HD Display Apple Powerbook AL G4: 12" | 1.5Ghz | 60b System | 1.25Gb Ram | Airport | BT Other: Airport Express | Airport Extreme | TiG4 PB 800Mhz | 20" iMac G5 w/ built in iSight | Swivel Screen iMac G4 800Mhz | iPod Mini | iPod Nano | Maxtor One Touch 250GB | Sony Ericsson T630

Fusion
Senior User
Jul 26, 2005, 01:33 AM

Not on the 12", with those services off and the brightness down a couple of bars, you should be getting at least 3 hours, if not 3 and a half.

trevorM  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2005, 02:47 AM

Sounds like I should return my battery to the shop.

Is there something I can do, by virtue of running the battery flat or charging it for a shorter (??) or longer period, to get the most out of my battery?
Apple Powermac G5: Dual 1.85GHz | 80Gb System | 3Gb Ram | GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL | BT | Airport | Apple 30" Cinema HD Display Apple Powerbook AL G4: 12" | 1.5Ghz | 60b System | 1.25Gb Ram | Airport | BT Other: Airport Express | Airport Extreme | TiG4 PB 800Mhz | 20" iMac G5 w/ built in iSight | Swivel Screen iMac G4 800Mhz | iPod Mini | iPod Nano | Maxtor One Touch 250GB | Sony Ericsson T630

crazeazn
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2005, 10:10 AM

brightness setting turned down a little and turn off a/p and b/t but u already knew that
12" AI book REV B, mac mini core duo 1.66

trevorM  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 28, 2005, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by crazeazn
brightness setting turned down a little and turn off a/p and b/t but u already knew that
It turns down two clicks by default so I have noticed but I always turn it up. I like a healthy bright screen.

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2005, 01:22 AM

My 12" PB is a year old and I still get 4 hours, even when using AirPort (but not bluetooth) and several apps. I'd exchange the battery. 2 hrs -- That ain't right.

trevorM  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 29, 2005, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by brettcamp
My 12" PB is a year old and I still get 4 hours, even when using AirPort (but not bluetooth) and several apps. I'd exchange the battery. 2 hrs -- That ain't right.
Thanks for that. I am going to ring them right now!!!!

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 29, 2005, 02:39 AM

2 to 2-1/2 hours is about all I get on my powerbook off the battery... it has always been like that.
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

jaknudsen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2005, 06:56 AM

Use this handy app: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/15417 (it's free)

It reports what your current battery capacity is, compared to the full capacity of a new battery. I think Apple replaces your battery if it drops to below 50% in the first year (or something like that).

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 29, 2005, 06:33 PM

woah, do not calibrate your battery if it is below 50% capacity... I checked mine and it was at 2152 capacity out of 4200 (not sure why that program reports 4600 as a new battery's capacity... my battery's absolute capacity is only 4200)...

Anyways, I calibrated my battery to see if I could get any boost at all... no such luck... the capacity is now 2032...

I've only had 160 some cycles, which is well below the 300 quoted by Apple for battery lifetime before significant degradation.

Though I've just run iBatt and from its statistics, it shows the median capacity for my model of powerbook (12" revB) is 1841 from a 398 person sample size. iBatt gives me a B+ rating, probably based on the sample distribution... but considering a new battery for my model has a capacity of 4200, it's only had 160 some cycles, and its not that old (about 2 and 1/2 years), I'd give it a D-

It seems most people loose well over 50% capacity within a couple years (many loose it within the first year). This is absolutely ridiculous and unacceptable considering Apple's boastings that the battery will maintain most of its capacity to 300 recharges.
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

trevorM  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 30, 2005, 10:29 PM

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies and comments.

2Hrs full charge disappointments me greatly, but I suppose I'll live.

I downloaded Capacity Meter and it provides that my batter capacity is 4400/4600 and that the battery status is excellent at 96%.

Nevertheless, after contacting my local apple store they said that the battery performance I am getting is not good enough and thus have suggested I return it for service. No complaints from me. Here's hoping I get more than 4 hours eh?

jlgrandam
Forum Regular
Jul 30, 2005, 11:51 PM

Mine is about 1.5 years old and if finally petering out. Right now I get around 1 hour and 45 minutes from a full charge. But when it was new I would get at least 3 hours.
12.1" Powerbook G4

Forum Links
Forum Rules