Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > gender roles/marriage for the 20-30 crowd.

gender roles/marriage for the 20-30 crowd.
crazeazn
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2005, 04:40 PM

Why is that women (especially in that age group) demand the guys to do everything nowadays? I noticed alot of my friends (females) who want the guy to cook, clean, buy them nice ****, treat them like a princess, etc. but wtf are they bringing to the table? hell, some dont even want to raise kids? Its one thing if the woman is making a higher salary than the guy is, but in most cases the guys bustin his butt bringing home money and doing all the above...

I'm a second gen korean, so i watched my mom pamper the crap out of my dad (treat him like a king basically) and ive seen that extreme end as well but what are women of this generation bringing to the table? I think its a given that both male and female need to share the household duties and such. my mom says im gonna end up making money and being a housebitch =( i'm all about women's rights and freedoms but seriously wtf is going on.
12" AI book REV B, mac mini core duo 1.66

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2005, 04:51 PM

Sex.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2005, 04:52 PM

I guess the game is up for us guys. Oh well, it was nice for the 6-7 millennia that it lasted.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2005, 04:53 PM

I think it is great that women are invading the workforce, even if that means less jobs for men. I mean can you imagine hiring all female plumbers fixing your pipes, female electricians changing your bulbs, female pool cleaners sweating under the Florida sun, female ITs to reinstall your Tiger, milkgirl coming to your door every morning, female grease monkey changing your oil. It would be a much better world, yes.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2005, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather
I think it is great that women are invading the workforce, even if that means less jobs for men. I mean can you imagine hiring all female plumbers fixing your pipes, female electricians changing your bulbs, female pool cleaners sweating under the Florida sun, female ITs to reinstall your Tiger, milkgirl coming to your door every morning, female grease monkey changing your oil. It would be a much better world, yes.
Not for you because they would be lesbians with workmen's hands and plumber cracks

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2005, 05:04 PM

this is not a double post

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2005, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by crazeazn
Why is that women (especially in that age group) demand the guys to do everything nowadays? I noticed alot of my friends (females) who want the guy to cook, clean, buy them nice ****, treat them like a princess, etc. but wtf are they bringing to the table? hell, some dont even want to raise kids? Its one thing if the woman is making a higher salary than the guy is, but in most cases the guys bustin his butt bringing home money and doing all the above...

I'm a second gen korean, so i watched my mom pamper the crap out of my dad (treat him like a king basically) and ive seen that extreme end as well but what are women of this generation bringing to the table? I think its a given that both male and female need to share the household duties and such. my mom says im gonna end up making money and being a housebitch =( i'm all about women's rights and freedoms but seriously wtf is going on.
Stop being a pussy, basically. Define your own gender role and if they fit into it, fine, if they don't get shut of them.

Next time your female friends start on about this, just say to them something like "well, I don't want a girl like that - she'd better be able to cook or she can go home and cry into her pillow alone". I guarantee that at least one of them will start hitting on you.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2005, 05:23 PM

I require they bring a trust fund.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 14, 2005, 05:35 PM

I think women are starting to take a stand as a group about the "second shift." Typically women who work also do the majority of housework as well, and that's not a good thing for a number of reasons.

First, if a marriage is a real partnership, why should one partner get the crappy end of the stick? Housework basically sucks, but doing it is better than living in a pigstye and buying new clothes all the time because the old ones are dirty. It's something you have to live with, so why not divide and conquer?

Second, who says women are better cooks than men? Why? Is there a female-linked "cooking" gene? Nope, it's just a traditional household chore. So what happens when Mr. and Mrs. Tradition get old and Mrs. Tradition passes away? Mr. Tradition is almost always in no shape to learn to cook by that time. Or to clean, mend, do laundry, or any other housekeeping chore. It's beneficial to both partners to share the load.

Third, do you think all that housework is easy? It can be hard work, and both tiring and taxing. Now what kind of position does that put Mrs. Tradition in when it's time to hit the sack? Yep, worn out-particularly after her full day at work. So it's in everybody's interest that nobody gets all that worn out, right?

Practical aspects aside, I like to do things for my wife. She works VERY hard at her job (she's a nurse who works 12 hour shifts), and my tasks are fairly easy in comparison. Plus I like to cook, and vacuuming is one of those "quality time" things like mowing the lawn-the mind checks out and gets to wander and ponder, and something useful gets done at the same time. It's cool.

The way I see it, the only thing being "macho" about who does what around the house gets most people is a chance to give an attorney a lot of money.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2005, 05:58 PM

Women tend to be better cooks then men, but I suspect that this is mostly because they're taught to cook from an earlier age (many men still don't get much of an education in this field at all!), and with more of a sense of importance. I suspect this is linked to gender in two ways rather than just one: girls get taught this because it's considered important, but they're also more curious because they see their mother -an adult of the same gender- doing it most of the time, because gender roles dictate that the mother does the cooking, and so the cycle repeats.

My wife and I generally divvy up the tasks. We have two bathrooms, and we've each claimed one as our own, so each of us takes responsibility for cleaning our own bathroom. She does more of the cooking, but we've got it worked out such that if one person does the cooking the other one does the dishes, so the tasks remain divided pretty well as far as that goes (doing more of the cooking suits her just fine, since she's not a fan of doing dishes; not that I like the task, per se, but I don't mind it). As for generally cleaning up the place, we tend to do this together, mostly because each of us starts to feel bad if the other does the majority of the work. She probably does more when it comes to picking up stuff, but she has trouble handling the vacuum cleaner, so I deal with that.

Apparently, her colleagues at work are really jealous of her because of this. I always thought this sort of thing was just Something People Do in two-income homes, to keep either person's workload from becoming too high, but then again, I was raised in a one-income family. Are men who are willing to do this really so rare?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2005, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell
I guess the game is up for us guys. Oh well, it was nice for the 6-7 millennia that it lasted.

Post of the day.®

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2005, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell
I guess you could join your local Amish community and reap the benefits of women exploitation for the rest of your life.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2005, 06:30 PM

It's called being a loser. That's all. Nothin' new here.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2005, 06:37 PM

Deppends on where you shop for your bride. At Bible college I was really frustrated because all the girls there wanted to be barefoot and in the kitchen exclusively. They looked at it as, their job was to stroke the guy's ego, look pretty, birth children and cook. His job was to go out and work and be doted on by his wife. Annoyed the crap out of me, I can't stand wilting flower women who wear white on their wedding day so they match the other appliances.
Not to mention I'm gona be a pastor... an extra source of income would be great

LeftWingLock
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2005, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Practical aspects aside, I like to do things for my wife. She works VERY hard at her job (she's a nurse who works 12 hour shifts), and my tasks are fairly easy in comparison. Plus I like to cook, and vacuuming is one of those "quality time" things like mowing the lawn-the mind checks out and gets to wander and ponder, and something useful gets done at the same time. It's cool.
Same here. My wife is a nurse who works 12 hour nights (7pm - 7am). She generally works 2 or 3 days in a row and then is off for 2 or 3 days. During her stretch of days on pretty much all she does is sleep and work so I take care of the household chores during that time, especially during the summer when I am off work (I'm a teacher) and we share the load on her days off. During the school year she does a lot on her days off when the kids and I are at school. It all comes down to respect for your partner and pitching in to get done what has to get done, no matter what the "traditional gender" role is.
Half The People I Know Are Below Average

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2005, 06:46 PM

They looked at it as, their job was to stroke the guy's ego, look pretty, birth children and cook.

Superchicken are you crazy?? If they actually do look good (which I bet they don't) then you would be a fool to pass them up.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2005, 06:48 PM

Yeah, could you pass some of those women down to the Chicago area? Near Elk Grove Village would be preferable.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2005, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Ghoser777
Yeah, could you pass some of those women down to the Chicago area? Near Elk Grove Village would be preferable.
Kenilworth, Wilmette, Winnetka, NorthBrook, and Deerfield breed them.
But you need to make at least six figures to land one.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

crazeazn  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2005, 07:10 PM

like i said i have no problem bearing some of the duties and or 1/2 or more!, i currently live by myself and cook, clean, laundry (and frankly dont mind doing it since im pretty anal compulsive about cleaning). i just find it somewhat odd that some girls have never even lifted a spatula or a sponge.
12" AI book REV B, mac mini core duo 1.66

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2005, 07:18 PM

First, if a marriage is a real partnership, why should one partner get the crappy end of the stick?
damn skippy - i wouldn't want to do all the housework, so why should i expect someone else to do the jobs i don't like? i'd think my wife was a doormat if she did it all for me. my wife and i share household stuff, though she tends to clean more as i do 99% of the cooking - she doesn't enjoy it but i do.

Women tend to be better cooks then men
not too sure about this, but... do i have a strange group of friends, cos in every relationship between people in my age group (25-30ish) it's the guy who does the cooking. maybe we're just weird. personally, i like playing with knifes and fire - brilliant!

So what happens when Mr. and Mrs. Tradition get old and Mrs. Tradition passes away?
i know far too many people who have had this happen to them, and they end up living the rest of their lives on microwave dinners, and need someone to come around to wash their clothes for them. if i ended up in that situation i'd feel like an idiot.

I always thought this sort of thing was just Something People Do
too right - it amazes me when people don't have a similar set up. if the husband is working and the woman is a housewife (or vice versa, with a house husband i guess) then i can kinda understand one doing most of the work, but even then i think it's a bit harsh to expect them to do all of it, esp if they've got kids (which must be a full time job). i spent two years in japan and my workmates couldn't believe that i cooked dinner every night and often prepared our lunches as well. hell, i think they were amazed that i could cook at all. in japan i can almost let it it slide as they're generally hell traditional, and this was backwoods japan as well which doesn't help, but back in the west it strikes me as weird that women will put up with this kind of treatment!

hell, some dont even want to raise kids?
i don't blame them, crazeazn - i totally don't understand why anyone wants to change nappies while the kids scream and cry and puke everywhere, and try to fit in the shopping, cleaning, and cooking so that your spouse can cruise in from work and have their dinner ready. i fully respect anyone who does want to do that, but i'll be buggered if i can see any appeal at all in the prospect and am stoked that i've found a wife who agrees

sminch

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2005, 07:20 PM

women who wear white on their wedding day so they match the other appliances
i'm totally writing that one down for safe keeping.

sminch

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2005, 07:49 PM

i think it depends on the man, the woman, and the relationship. my wife really doesn't like to clean so i do the cleaning, yeah it sucks but its a small price to pay for a great wife & marriage. she helps with other things around the house like laundry, dishes, and cooks every once and awhile as i do too. its a 50/50 thing but everytime i go home to visit my parents it funny cause my mom does everything, then again my dad makes the money

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2005, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Salty
Deppends on where you shop for your bride. At Bible college I was really frustrated because all the girls there wanted to be barefoot and in the kitchen exclusively. They looked at it as, their job was to stroke the guy's ego, look pretty, birth children and cook. His job was to go out and work and be doted on by his wife.
Where can I get one?


davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2005, 10:38 PM

My wife and I pretty much have a 50/50 relationship. But I've seen relationships with a "dominant" female and the vice versa. I think every relationship is unique.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2005, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious
Kenilworth, Wilmette, Winnetka, NorthBrook, and Deerfield breed them.
But you need to make at least six figures to land one.
I need a pretty big raise over my current teacher's salary for that to happen.

strictlyplaid
Senior User
Aug 14, 2005, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver
Where can I get one?
Duh!
At Bible college
Praise the Lord!

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2005, 11:15 PM

if all you want is someone to cook and clean for you surely it's cheaper, easier, and more enjoyable just to get a cleaner in once a week and eat out every night? prostitution's legal here now, so that's sorted too.

honestly, i don't get it!

sminch

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2005, 11:16 PM

I'd go to Bible College but I'm worried that God might touch me

jcadam
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2005, 11:50 PM

My wife stays at home. I cannot tell you the fights that ensue when I would come home from working a 16-hour day to a filth-nasty house. "What the HELL do you do all day?"

But she knew that I would eventually get tired of looking at the mess and clean it all myself (I would TRY to see how much I could let the place go, in the hopes that I would come home from work one day to find that she had done something other than watching TV and talking on the phone).

Now we have an arrangement: I handle the kitchen (dishes, etc.), she does the rest. Can you guess what the cleanest room in the house always is? I knew you could.......

I've seen my wife clean, and it takes her ALL day (pick something up and move it, take a break. Wipe off this table, take a break. And anything she 'cleans', is only marginally so) Jeez man, I put the iPod on, grab the rubber gloves and corrosive cleaning agents and clean the sh*t until it's done. Then I sit down, and she complains about how she spends more time cleaning than I do.
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2005, 12:05 AM

I give you two six more months.

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2005, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
Superchicken are you crazy?? If they actually do look good (which I bet they don't) then you would be a fool to pass them up.
Right... cause having a Trophy Wife is AWESOME!

Sorry I can't afford a trophy anyway, I'm gona be a pastor.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2005, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium
Women tend to be better cooks then men...
I wouldn't be so sure about this. Maybe more women take an interest in domestic cooking because (traditionally) husbands have been the money earners while wives have been child bearers. However, of the world's top chefs, an overwhelming majority of them are male.

When it comes to professional cooking, it's not even close. Men dominate.

Warung
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2005, 12:55 AM

Errrr, what's keeping you from doing exactly as you please? Right, - only you! Stop blaming women!

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage?

Warung
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2005, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by spacefreak
When it comes to professional cooking, it's not even close. Men dominate.
Absolutely right. I've also wondred about this. Why do "we" always expect the women to cook, when almost all of the premier chefs in the world are men (and traditionally have been)?

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2005, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Warung
Absolutely right. I've also wondred about this. Why do "we" always expect the women to cook, when almost all of the premier chefs in the world are men (and traditionally have been)?
Because guys like to eat, we don't like to make the food ourselves... and girls like to make us happy... sometimes?

Cooking is something that requires lots of work, but not necessarily a lot of strenuous manual labour. Since guys are typically more capable of carrying heavy loads, and generally LIKE doing heavy lifting and stuff more (if you're an exception just shut up nobody needs to hear it.) so they can tended to cook while guys did harder stuff.

That said I gota learn to cook... I might even after I move out have one day a week when a lady from my church teach me how to cook...

Warung
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2005, 01:12 AM

That said I gota learn to cook... I might even after I move out have one day a week when a lady from my church teach me how to cook...
You should. It can be a lot of fun and very relaxing. Right now it's one of my top priorities to learn how to cook really well...

Oh, and cooking a nice dinner also seems to be a successful tactic to get the girl you like where you want her to be (hint: NOT in the kitchen )

Railroader
Banned
Aug 15, 2005, 02:38 AM

Right... cause having a Trophy Wife is AWESOME!

Sorry I can't afford a trophy anyway, I'm gona be a pastor.
You certainly can. The wife of the pastor of our Church doesn't work. They are sending their 4th child to the University of Michigan this Fall. He makes about $35,000/year. He does get free housing though. And people are constantly donating things to him. I gave him a Mac-mini and 15" LCD this year.

BOT: My wife and I agreed on household duties before we ever moved in together and got married. I take care of all repair duties, everything outside the house (landscaping/lawncare), bill paying/finances, construction, heavy object lifting, and in addition I do all of the cooking. She can make simple dishes, ie. scrambled eggs, but anything complicated she doesn't do well because she has never been taught how to cook properly. Her mother makes things that started out as food and became inedible as she processes them.

My wife cleans. That's it. I got the better end of the deal.

We split the laundry too. I do create a lot of laundry I'll admit.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 15, 2005, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by Warung
Oh, and cooking a nice dinner also seems to be a successful tactic to get the girl you like where you want her to be (hint: NOT in the kitchen )
What's wrong with the kitchen? Women like creativity and adventurous men.

Naplander
Senior User
Aug 15, 2005, 05:52 AM

What's more worrying than any gender roles is the fact that so many people are getting married in their twenties!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2005, 05:55 AM

The only thing that has changed is your age. As you are leaving your teens and early 20s, you're starting to see relationships in a new light.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2005, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium
Women tend to be better cooks

Not in my experience. Most of my male friends are excellent and enthusiastic cooks, with almost all of the girls seeing it as more of a chore than fun.
I do 99% of the cooking in our house, simply because I love it.

And yes, being able to cook will get you ahead in the dating game. I figured that out in my teens and never looked back. Food and sex...

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2005, 07:34 AM

My g/f and i split the cooking, not 50/50, maybe 65/35 in favour of me. I love cooking, so does she, we both love cooking up tasty dishes, continually trying to impress each other.

She does the laundry, and most of the cleaning, I'll help out with whatever, when asked. I usually get her breakfast in bed on a sunday morning as well.

Oh and if you can call footrubs and backrubs chores, then I do those too. Maybe 3 a week.

We both work full time, she's earning a little more than me at the minute, but I'm four years younger, and still trying to find that career.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2005, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Naplander
What's more worrying than any gender roles is the fact that so many people are getting married in their twenties!
Although it's true that many people rush into marriage far too quickly, I don't see anything wrong with getting married in one's twenties, provided you've known your partner long enough and well enough to be truly comfortable with a lifelong commitment. This can still happen in one's twenties. Although two people are somewhat less likely to be that comfortable at this age -owing mostly to not having been alive enough to know all that many people for that length of time- it can happen sometimes.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Super Mario
Aug 15, 2005, 07:47 AM

Woman's place is the kitchen and bedroom. Sometimes in the shower

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 15, 2005, 07:52 AM

I get the distinct feeling that all the guys (and I have yet to see a post in this thread from a female) who are saying "a stay-at-home, barefoot and in the kitchen all the time wife would be awesome!" have never been married, or if they have it was in the past and probably very short-term. Who would want to commit to a long-term relationship with someone who was basically ONLY doting on them? I mean a golden retriever will do that, and having a dog is a lot less time consuming and emotionally involving than getting married. Unless you actually get intellectual stimulation from watching TV all the time, wouldn't you want someone you could talk to?

I think Millenium has a valid point-if everyone would read the whole thing-about women being better practical cooks than men. When I was in high school girls were expected to take at least two home economics courses; one was in kitchen skills and the other was something like creative sewing or something similar. Boys were almost (but not quite) completely excluded from all home-ec classes. If the system is rigged to teach girls to cook and NOT teach boys to cook, that means that girls get a leg-up in terms of training and experience. And since that same system discourages boys from trying to cook, they either wind up being "Mr. Griller" or not cooking at all.

Well my parents BOTH worked way back then, and Dad had some pretty crazy rotating shifts, so he cooked frequently-and VERY well. And they both taught me to cook because I was around every evening when they weren't necessarily. So I can and do cook-I enjoy doing it most of the time. I think a person of either gender who can't cook, clean, launder and otherwise keep up a house is ill prepared for the world in general.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Warung
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2005, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader
What's wrong with the kitchen? Women like creativity and adventurous men.
See, that's why I would prefer a table in a crowded restaurant...the kitchen is far too cliché by now!
( Last edited by Warung; Aug 15, 2005 at 12:07 PM. )

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2005, 12:03 PM

I want to chime in here for the benefits of division of labor.

A few months after we had our first child, my wife went back to work part time, and I have the type of job where I could be home around her schedule. So we both worked part time and stayed home part time. We didn't have to use regular daycare, but it was extremely hard on both of us. It's quite stressful juggling work and home like that.

Now that we've had our second, my wife has taken a long leave of absence from work and stayed home with the kids. We don't have as much money, but we're both much less stressed.

I wonder if both husband and wife having intense careers and sticking the kids in daycare when they're a week old really is good for, well anyone. You might only be able to buy your $40,000 SUVs every 5 years instead of every 3, which is no doubt embarrassing in front of the neighbors, but you can lead a much healthier life.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2005, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather
I guess you could join your local Amish community and reap the benefits of women exploitation for the rest of your life.
Any links and tips for signing up ?

-t

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2005, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Naplander
It only bothers me because the number of eligible women in my age range keeps going down... and younger women (like 20-21) always look like jail bait even if they're not.

jcadam
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2005, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Who would want to commit to a long-term relationship with someone who was basically ONLY doting on them? I mean a golden retriever will do that, and having a dog is a lot less time consuming and emotionally involving than getting married.
But golden retrievers don't give good head (all them big teeth).
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

Forum Links
Forum Rules