Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > asf player?

asf player?
maitthas
Mar 17, 2000, 10:18 PM

does anyone know of a player for .asf files besides media player?

jaysones
Mar 18, 2000, 01:27 PM

We need one bad! This is a great oppurtunity for third-party programmers, though I think MS keeps .asf format pretty close to its chest.

Ulysses
Mar 18, 2000, 02:20 PM

MS just released Media Player for Macintosh, which plays .asf files. It's not a very good player, and pales before Quicktime, but here it is (be sure to get the whole URL):
http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0...st.titledetail

maitthas
Mar 18, 2000, 03:13 PM

if there isn't a player besides media player, than is there an application that will convert .asf files to something that can be played by quicktime?

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2000, 03:56 PM

Real Networks just licensed Microsoft's streaming technology.

I would look for .asf support in the next version of RealPlayer...

Also, cross-licensing agreements between Apple and Microsoft surely include this format. Come on Apple, include it in Quicktime for compatibility sake!

drewman

Ulysses
Mar 18, 2000, 07:31 PM

.asf, in a word, _sucks_, and is one more attempt at a proprietary format by Microsoft.
If you're desperate for an .asf viewer, well, consider buying a Windows box, rather than bleating "Aw c'mon, make my Mac like a Windows box!"

If you want a PC that operates just like Windows, why own a Mac? Sheesh...

ppps
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2000, 08:41 PM

ASF sucks? Not really. If you forget about the politics once, you get the best compression quality I've seen in a long way (and I work in that field) since they are the only ones so far to use MPEG4 and Wavelets. No good player out for Macs, though...

Ulysses
Mar 18, 2000, 11:50 PM

You work in the compression field? Then you're aware of the codecs and associated issues that affect quality--and how .asf compares to others players in the field.

You also must be aware of where .asf came from, and why Microsoft pushes it so hard--Mac, Windows, or whatever. Do you have any idea what Media Player is about?

It's not a politics thing at all--.asf (and Mother Microsoft) objectively suck.

MaczRuleZ
Mar 19, 2000, 12:58 AM

I am pretty unhappy too seeing M$ once again pushing a proprietary technology and signing up content providers for exclusive use.

The best thing you can do about it is complain to content providers who release content in ASF exclusively. They're not stupid, if many people complain they'll address the problem and release their content in the most popular format: QuickTime.

If you can access the ASF content, what's your incentive to complain? ;p

Arkham
Mar 19, 2000, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by MaczRuleZ:
I am pretty unhappy too seeing M$ once again pushing a proprietary technology and signing up content providers for exclusive use.
Well, you guys seem to be prejudiced to me. Microsoft's ASF (which they bought as VideoXtreme) does not suck. It is better than RealVideo in terms of quality, and unlike the RealServer, it doesn't crash. If you want to know why so many people use Windows Media, it's because it's free to do so, whereas with Real they have to buy the server.

Before all of you chime in with "Quicktime server is free", bear in mind that (1) Quicktime server is still new, so many have not adopted it yet, (2) until Quicktime 4.1, no one in the corporate world could watch streaming Quicktime, and (3) there is still no streaming Quicktime server for Windows boxes, so anyone running a Windows server is out of luck.

I do streaming media for CNN.com, and we stream Real, Windows Media, and Quicktime. Right now, Quicktime is BY FAR the most difficult format to automate.

davidf01
Mar 19, 2000, 02:19 PM

Originally posted by Arkham:
I do streaming media for CNN.com, and we stream Real, Windows Media, and Quicktime. Right now, Quicktime is BY FAR the most difficult format to automate.
I am thinking of creating a site for QTSS issues for people who administer media.

Would there be enough interest from people like you to get this going?

regards:dlf

------------------
david faibish
CTO
intermedia development
613 232 7000 X2
[email protected]

valentinedwv
Mar 19, 2000, 02:56 PM

But the most difficult to automate means what?

memento
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2000, 03:41 PM

This seems to have gotten off topic. Windows MEdia Player for the Mac cannot play all .asf files. There are some which need an additional codec from Microsoft, which is not available for the Mac. If I have a .asf file that I can't play (error message something like "data rate >500kbps...), then I load it up in VirtualPC and can watch it after the WMP in Win95 downloads the additional codec automatically. Then I use a Win95 program called "Virtual Dub" to convert it to AVI, which I can view in Quicktime. I don't just watch it in VPC because it's too choppy and too much of a pain to use VPC as opposed to QT in OS9.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

James_Rolevink
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2000, 08:20 PM

Hello there,

What is the URL to this Virtual Dub thing?

I would like to do the same. The Mac version of Microsoft Media Player (beta version for one) does suck actually, and I will always have an ethical problem using anything by MS.

In fact, I must disagree with some of the postings above; there ALWAYS is a political dimension to using MS products, as the DoJ case has proved beyond doubt. Just as I would never buy a tiger skin rug because I know what it means, I try to avoid anything MS.

Cheers,

James

Roberto Michelena
Mar 20, 2000, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by Arkham:
and (3) there is still no streaming Quicktime server for Windows boxes, so anyone running a Windows server is out of luck.
That's not true... there is at least one (I believe there are more) and it's free for up to 30 streams, and relatively inexpensive for unlimited. www.entera.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules