Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > MAC OS X 10.0.1 UPDATE!!!!!!

MAC OS X 10.0.1 UPDATE!!!!!! (Page 3)
Lord Kronos
Senior User
Mar 28, 2001, 03:50 PM

Originally posted by incandenza:
It always did that.
Actually, I believe this feature appeared in k60, or was it k50...
"Sing you fools ! But you got it wrong..."

bitfly
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 28, 2001, 03:51 PM

So everyone is saying this update has "bug fixes, bux fixes". but has anyone actually found a bug that has been fixed? Not me.
system prefs still has to be quit from the menu and not just by closing the window.

davidski
Forum Regular
Mar 28, 2001, 03:51 PM

I think I can post one definite bug fix in this update.

I use a Pismo notebook with an external monitor. OS X 10.0 had a bug in which after connecting once to the external monitor, I could no longer bootup the notebook without the external monitor attached. When I tried, I'd just get a spinning wheel and no desktop - guess it was looking for a monitor that wasn't there.

This is fixed in the update, and since it really was my biggest problem, I'm a happy camper now! :-)

Lord Kronos
Senior User
Mar 28, 2001, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by bitfly:
So everyone is saying this update has "bug fixes, bux fixes". but has anyone actually found a bug that has been fixed? Not me.
system prefs still has to be quit from the menu and not just by closing the window.
Again, Sys Prefs not quitting is not a bug.

donm
Mar 28, 2001, 03:58 PM

>Now it says "80x24" in the titlebar when re-sizing. Can anyone with the pre 10.0.1 update confirm if this is there and I am imagining things, or if this was actually added by the update?

You're imagining things. It was there before.

bitfly
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 28, 2001, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by Lord Kronos:
Again, Sys Prefs not quitting is not a bug.
Why?

ekoelbel
Mar 28, 2001, 04:07 PM

all apps have that behavior, don't they, i.e. just closing the window doesn't close the app? terminal behaves the same way, as does itunes..why should system prefs be different?

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2001, 04:08 PM

installed the update, things seem quicker. Very nice. also some things seem to be fixed.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Lord Kronos
Senior User
Mar 28, 2001, 04:08 PM

Why?
Although Sys Prefs doesn't take long to load on my machine, it appears to take some time on some systems. Then keeping the app open allows users to quickly access their preferences. Other than that, closing a window shouldn't quit an app.

DannyVTim
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 28, 2001, 04:10 PM

bitfly why do you think is should close because it's a one window app and the one window is closed?

It's a small app and they left it running after the window is closed.

If you don't like there choice then give apple feed back and perhaps that will change, but it's not a bug. It's just not what you prefer.
Dan

Mar 28, 2001, 04:11 PM

On more definite bug fix: Nomad MG II Player didn't work before with iTunes. /var/log/system.log reported before update:

Mar 28 14:14:46 localhost mach_kernel: IOMemoryDescriptor: repare mach_make_memory_entry_64 failed: 2
Mar 28 14:14:46 localhost mach_kernel: ControlReqInAsync err 0xe00002c8

Everything OK now after update to 4L5.

wclarkson
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 28, 2001, 04:15 PM

My sherlock app was shot when I first tried it . I then reopened it and it worked flawlessly. 10.0.1 Definitely has benefits. I think that I'll switch over full time now.

If apple releases the "official update" tomorrow will I still be able to install it over this "unofficial update"?

Thanx. OS X ROCKS!!!
G4 Cube Owner :-)

self
Mar 28, 2001, 04:15 PM

has anyone timed start up of osx after update on a DP450?

JustinHoMi
Forum Regular
Mar 28, 2001, 04:16 PM

I've always thought that was kind of annoying too....

Colonel Panic
Senior User
Mar 28, 2001, 04:19 PM

I was having sherlock problems at first ("unexpected errors") but a reinstall of the update took care of it. it may have been since i ran the 10.0.1 update, then the software update update. sherlock failed after teh software update .running the 10.0.1 update again fixed it. dunno. either that or the reboot somehow fixed it.

Syseworks
Mar 28, 2001, 04:21 PM

Has anyone installed this on a beige G3 and noticed any real speed increases?

JB72
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2001, 04:23 PM

Looks like my Sherlock fixed itself too .

------------------
JB71.339b

Dock Perverts still rule OK?

Lord Kronos
Senior User
Mar 28, 2001, 04:24 PM

According to MacNN they're going to release an update tomorrow, maybe they had time to work a bit more and it's even better than 4L5, but 4L5 would be good too .

StRaNgE
Mar 28, 2001, 04:30 PM

All finder stuff is much much faster. Also opening stuff up in classic far better too. I've never had photoshop open in 3 seconds before.

so far I can't see anything differnet with regards to status bar, contrl panels.. is there anything?

StRaNgE

Gametes
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2001, 04:33 PM

For those involved in the sub-discussion regarding System preferences.app:

1) It is not a "bug" that it stays open. Nothing is happening other than what the programmer implemented.
2) It is a mistake on the programmers half, and I'm sure Apple will fix it. The reason for this is
3) Better than Windows' stupid method of always quitting apps when their last window is closed, Macs have this rule of thumb: A multi-window app (OmniWeb, ProjectBuilder, Mail, Terminal, etc) remains running until it is explicitly quit, and a single-window app (System Preferences, iTunes, Sherlock) quits when its only window (for all intents and purposes, the app) is closed.

Therefore, System Preferences should should quit, and this is a big annoyance in the meantime.

------------------
you are not your signature

plaidpjs
Mar 28, 2001, 04:36 PM

After reading so many of you had run the update and had success I was all set to do the same. I actually got the files off a link in this thread (something about a non-iDisk mirror) I unstuffed the two packages included and before executing them I did a command-i to check the file information. Bothe packages have created dates of January 1, 1904.

NOW THAT SACRES ME.

Last I heard Macs didn't suffer from Y2K issues, but that sure as shootin' seems like one. Anybody notice the same thing or have a reasonable explanation for this?

Gametes
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2001, 04:40 PM

1) It is not a "bug" that it stays open. Nothing is happening other than what the programmer implemented.
2) It is a mistake on the programmers' half, and I'm sure Apple will fix it. The reason for this is
3) Better than Windows' stupid method of always quitting apps when their last window is closed, Macs have this rule of thumb: A multi-window app (OmniWeb, ProjectBuilder, Mail, Terminal, etc) remains running until it is explicitly quit, and a single-window app (System Preferences, iTunes, Sherlock) quits when its only window (for all intents and purposes, the app) is closed.

Therefore, System Preferences should should quit, and this is a big annoyance in the meantime.

------------------

Lord Kronos
Senior User
Mar 28, 2001, 04:40 PM

I understand Gametes, but now that we've switched from a cooperative to a preemptive multitasking (maybe the best there is out there by the way ) keeping apps open is not a problem, and since launching apps is not too fast (yet) it's a good idea to leave them open. That's just the way I see it.

Actually, I still can't help quitting every app I don't use, including System Preferences, filthy OS 9 habit .

Lord Kronos
Senior User
Mar 28, 2001, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by plaidpjs:
After reading so many of you had run the update and had success I was all set to do the same. I actually got the files off a link in this thread (something about a non-iDisk mirror) I unstuffed the two packages included and before executing them I did a command-i to check the file information. Bothe packages have created dates of January 1, 1904.

NOW THAT SACRES ME.

Last I heard Macs didn't suffer from Y2K issues, but that sure as shootin' seems like one. Anybody notice the same thing or have a reasonable explanation for this?
That's a good old Mac OS 'bug', I'm glad it made it to X .

Gametes
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2001, 04:46 PM

Well, by that logic not only would apps accumulate indefinitely in the dock, but those running apps still take up memory (even if paged to the hard drive).
It's just simple conservation, not to mention organization.
I get ill when I close sys prefs and then, lo and behold, it's still in my Dock with a black arrow under it. UGH.

Single-window apps : quit when closed
Multi-window apps : quit when quit

------------------

Kosmo
Senior User
Mar 28, 2001, 04:51 PM

I don't want to alarm anyone....

I went out today and picked up another Airport Card. This one for my DP 450 tower. When I left OS X was working great. I came home and shutdown my computer...installed the Airport card (done it 100 times for clients)... Restarted my tower...OS X froze on startup...rebooted 4 times, each time it froze...
Then I rebooted with a 9.1 CD...chose 9.1 on my drive and rebooted again... My OS 9 on my tower was completley chewed up. My Raedon Card was displaying only half a screen and all system level operations were gone...it booted but nothing worked. when I attempted to shut down it warned me that there was no operating system available...

Very weird. Anyway, I rebooted with 9.1 CD and did a clean install..everything seems ok now...

Either it was the Airport installation or the OS X update..I'm not saying which it was, I can only say that I have never had a bad install of an airport card...

Will someone (that installed the X update) try to boot into 9.1 and post here if you have any problems...

thanks

Kosmo

http://www.macnet2.com

Munin
Mar 28, 2001, 04:53 PM

Maybe this will help stop the System Preferences issue. Check out Apple's Tech Info Article on the matter.
http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n106195

Lord Kronos
Senior User
Mar 28, 2001, 04:55 PM

Unless you have 64 Mb of RAM, keeping Mail, TextEdit, Terminal, and Sys Prefs open, for instance, shouldn't be an issue.

But the dock is an issue, somehow we should be able to hide some apps, so that they appear only when you want them too.

Edit: I hate to see System Preferences in the dock, it should be invisible (or at least you should be able to make it invisible) since it can be accessed at any time from the Apple menu.

[This message has been edited by Lord Kronos (edited 03-28-2001).]

fmalloy
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 28, 2001, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by Syseworks:
Has anyone installed this on a beige G3 and noticed any real speed increases?
Sadly, no speed increase. OmniWeb still takes >24 bounces to open. Graphics performance seems the same.

incandenza
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2001, 04:59 PM

Gametes, your "for single-window apps, close window means quit" rule is not the norm in OS X. Look at the other single-window apps (iTunes, Sherlock): they don't close when you close the window either. The System Preferences behavior is entirely consistent.

You may consider this poor design, but it's not a bug, and it's something I seriously doubt Apple would change.

incandenza
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2001, 05:02 PM

Gametes, your "for single-window apps, close window means quit" rule is not the norm in OS X. Look at the other single-window apps (iTunes, Sherlock): they don't close when you close the window either. The System Preferences behavior is entirely consistent.

You may consider this poor design, but it's not a bug, and it's something I seriously doubt Apple would change.

jmatero
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 28, 2001, 05:11 PM

Just so people understand, there are no longer control panels in OSX...

System Prefs. is an application, so when you close the window it is still running. Personally, I wish apps like system prefs and the ppp connect program would quit when you close the windows, but I also understand the need for consistency

Guy Incognito
Banned
Mar 28, 2001, 05:22 PM

Well pinch my ass and call me Sally.

With this update, OS X went from barely usable to MUCH MORE USABLE!

�uckin' amazin'! One more boost like this will make this OS feel zippy even on a Beige G3 266 with only 64MB of RAM.

I CAN ACTUALLY SEE THE GENIE EFFECTS EVEN WHEN THE COMPUTER IS UNDER HEAVY LOAD!!! AHHHHHH!

Menues pop up faster...I see less of the spinning rainbow CD, I have less HD thrashing (sh!t I hated that noise...made me wonder how longer my HD would last under OS X).

I appologize to everyone about my earlier anti-OS X posts...my main gripe was speed...and with this update, Apple has proven that it is possible to optimize OS X.

I swear, I must be getting 20-50% more speed now...YEEEHAAAW!

Doktor Schmidt
Mar 28, 2001, 06:04 PM

Originally posted by Gametes:

2) It is a mistake on the programmers half, and I'm sure Apple will fix it. The reason for this is

Why on earth would you ever want System Preferences to quit? OSX provides you with enough VM to choke an elephant. It does not slow you down in anyway, it does not keep you from doing anything. The only consequences of leaving it running are (A) A tiny triangle in the Dock, and (B) next time you need it, it's there for you more quickly.

BlankMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2001, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by Kosmo:
Will someone (that installed the X update) try to boot into 9.1 and post here if you have any problems...
Kosmo, that must have been just some weird abberation - no problems here with switching between os X update and 9.1

BlankMac
BlankMac

"Who was that masked
macintosh?"

C-Eye
Forum Regular
Mar 28, 2001, 06:32 PM

I've got to agree with Gametes about the System Preferences. Just as previous Control Panels, it should quit when you close the window. Why the hell would you want to leave System Preferences open all the time? I've sent my feedback on this issue to Apple and I suggest you do the same.

As for this mysterious OS X 10.0.1 update... You guys are really asking for trouble by installing it. MacNN indicates Apple will officially release this update tomorrow, so be patient. It's well worth waiting a day for two for the official update than possibly destroying your system or losing files.

MusicMac
Forum Regular
Mar 28, 2001, 06:45 PM

I just installed the update. Sherlock is working fine. Overall speed of navigation in the finder and with the dock seems to have increased, but no noticeale difference in application performance. Kepp 'em coming Apple!
G4/400 - 20/10GB HD -256MB RAM -OS X 10.1.2

cfoster611
Mar 28, 2001, 06:58 PM

The new build did nothing for me, but more importently, my WaveLAN card still doesn't work!!

Man, Apple sure likes to burn those who buy into their new tech. Man, I can't do anything without Airport. This is a huge loss!

Colonel Panic
Senior User
Mar 28, 2001, 07:15 PM

After reading Kosmo's post I rebooted into 9.1.

All was OK in 9.1, EXCEPT my desktop file had taken a severe beating and needed to be rebuilt.

Upon rebuild, everything was OK in 9.1.

immediately got back OUT of 9.1 and into my beloved X....

noisefloor
Forum Regular
Mar 28, 2001, 07:23 PM

"I get ill when I close sys prefs and then, lo and behold, it's still in my Dock with a black arrow under it. UGH."

Well, then don't CLOSE sys prefs, QUIT it.

Just get in the habit of hitting command-Q to quit "one window" apps instead of command-W. (and no, sherlock isn't a "one window" app - it actually makes sense for it to not quit on command-w)

I don't consider this a bug or mistake at all (although it's a little confusing the first time you encounter it). Q means quit - why would you expect closing a window to EVER quit an app?

Chet Ript
Forum Regular
Mar 28, 2001, 07:26 PM

Sadly, my system seems slower now! I don't know if did something wrong but I've noticed solid window dragging is now choppier and as I'm typing right now in Omniweb I'm actually getting ahead of the words appearing on screen. Hell my dad's old LC II didn't even do that. Maybe that is just a problem with OmnWeb. Something has to be wrong. Just for the record I have a AGP G4 tower(400) with 320mb o RAM. I ran the software update pkg before the 10.0.1 updated. Was this wrong to do? I don't know....not happy.

Chet Ript
Forum Regular
Mar 28, 2001, 07:39 PM

Sadly, my system seems slower now! I don't know if did something wrong but Solid window dragging is now noticably choppier. Something has to be wrong. Just for the record I have a AGP G4 tower(400) with 320mb o RAM. I ran the SoftwareUpdate131.pkg before the 10.0.1 updater. Was this wrong to do? I don't know....not happy. Has anybody else experienced this.Damn it! First my RAM and now this. Suppose I should have waited til it was actually "released" to install it. May not have mattered though.

garretwp
Mar 28, 2001, 07:57 PM

Can someone do me a favor and send me the update to my email or give put it in my idisk for me? This would be a big help. my idisk is garretwp or my email is [email protected]

thanks

JustinHoMi
Forum Regular
Mar 28, 2001, 07:58 PM

Installed it. Ran some benchmarks before and after installing. My system is a beige G3/300 with 768 megs of RAM.

Before update/After update

Boot to login prompt: 2:17/1:50
Login to all startup apps launched: 0:36/0:39
Classic launch: 0:51/0:47
Classic relaunch: 0:35/0:35
IE Launch: 0:14/0:18
IE relaunch: 0:10/0:09
AIM (classic app) launch: 0:07/0:04
AIM relaunch: 0:5/0:04

So, seems like overall, the system is faster. WIndow resizes are noticable quicker too. I was suprised about IE launching slower, but it's possible that I just looked at the watch wrong. I just don't feel like waiting another 2:29 for this think to boot Sorry.

I did have a couple of major problems though. First of all, my logitech USB optical mouse no longer works!!! It's recognized by the Apple System Profiler, but simply doesn't work .
I also suffered from a hard freeze when inititally clicking on the final install button in the updater, then another hard freeze after rebooting, and attempting to go to www.versiontracker.com (froze while beginning to load page). Other than that, I've been using it for just a few minutes and haven't noticed anything else....

Justin

garretwp
Mar 28, 2001, 07:59 PM

Can someone do me a favor and send me the update to my email? This would be a big help. my email is [email protected]

thanks

Tom6973
Mar 28, 2001, 08:02 PM

Has Apple fixed the "maximize window button" bug in the current version. What's the purpose of a maximize button that doesn't maximize?

garretwp
Mar 28, 2001, 08:03 PM

Can someone do me a favor and send me the update to my email? This would be a big help. my email is [email protected]

thanks

garretwp
Mar 28, 2001, 08:07 PM

Can someone send me the update to my email address or send me an email with the update on there idisk privatly. It would be very helpful if they can send me the update. I thank you all.

Garrett

holiday
Forum Regular
Mar 28, 2001, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by plaidpjs:
I did the exact same thing and had to do a double take. Came up as the same creation date. It gave me a good laugh. I bet you didn't know the Wright brothers helped to write this update. As far performence, I havn't noticed much difference except, as already mentioned several times in this thread, that once classic fires up (still takes as long to start up) the apps themselves start up more quickly and are a bit snappier than with 4k78.

soybomb
Mar 28, 2001, 08:14 PM

Originally posted by incandenza:
Look at the other single-window apps (iTunes, Sherlock): they don't close when you close the window either.
Look again -- iTunes and Sherlock aren't single-window applications.
(Try double-clicking the items on the left in the main iTunes window for one...)

Forum Links
Forum Rules