Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Everybody Praises the iCurve--I Want a Stand That Brings the LCD Closer to My Eyes

Everybody Praises the iCurve--I Want a Stand That Brings the LCD Closer to My Eyes
STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2004, 04:48 AM

Everbody on here seems to just love Griffin Technology's iCurve stand (http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/icurve), but I'm looking for a stand that not only raises the PowerBook, but one that also brings the PowerBook's screen closer to my eyes. Basically, by the time you put the PowerBook on the desk, then the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard in front of it, then a wrist pad in front of that, the PowerBook's screen is a good 24" or so from the eyes. I want a viewing distance more like the one achieved when using the PowerBook with no stand at all (but I don't want it to be that low on the desk).

Am I crazy here? Everybody seems to love the iCurve so much, but it doesn't let you do this. The Lapvantage stand (http://www.lapvantage.com/products) does, but you don't hear much about it here.
Apple user since 1987

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2004, 04:57 AM

It depends on how you have your desk setup. I love the iCurve. Works just fine. Besides, if you really need the screen closer than iCurve brought the edge, you should either a) get new glasses b) get an external screen or iMac you can stick your face right up to c) change the resolution on your screen (and font sizes, etc).

Didn't your mother ever tell you not to sit too close to the TV set?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

STAT  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2004, 05:21 AM

Apple user since 1987

tavilach
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 06:25 AM

Originally posted by STAT:
http://www.phildorsett.com/images/albooksetup.jpg
You're forgetting that most people have keyboard trays. I'm in a dorm, using a cheap little desk, and even it has a keyboard tray.

Because most people have keyboard trays, most people don't share in your concern.
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

-Q-
Nov 8, 2004, 09:54 AM

Originally posted by tavilach:
You're forgetting that most people have keyboard trays. I'm in a dorm, using a cheap little desk, and even it has a keyboard tray.

Because most people have keyboard trays, most people don't share in your concern.
I don't think you can say 'most' people have a keyboard tray. Of all my friends with computers, I know of one that has a keyboard tray.

I second the suggestion for a new glasses prescription.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2004, 12:45 PM

I use the iCurve and don't have a keyboard tray and dont sit far from the monitor at all, atleast not 2 feet. I guess you could try something like this or this.
( Last edited by iREZ; Nov 8, 2004 at 12:51 PM. )
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

mrmister
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 12:56 PM

I tried a bunch of stands, and at the end of the day I use a very simple solution--a Podium CoolPad, no external keyboard. This makes the system look slim and simple, and I have to say that I love the keyboard of the AlBook so much that it's a pleasure not to have to switch back and forth to other options. Using the CoolPad the screen is 12-14 inches from my eyes, which feels about perfect.

STAT  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2004, 01:21 PM

Originally posted by Randman:
you should either a) get new glasses...

Didn't your mother ever tell you not to sit too close to the TV set?
Originally posted by -Q-:
I second the suggestion for a new glasses prescription.
Alright, you Mac-using smartasses ()... Rather than ragging on my vision (which is 20x15--better than 20x20, thank you very much), how about some constructive replies? For example, are there some add-on keyboard trays that would attach to my desk?
Apple user since 1987

RonnieoftheRose
Nov 8, 2004, 01:26 PM

I use the iCurve on a low coffee table in front of my couch. No external keyboard or mouse. The angle and posture I have for typing in this position is excellent and the screen is not far away from me.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2004, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by STAT:
Alright, you Mac-using smartasses ()... Rather than ragging on my vision (which is 20x15--better than 20x20, thank you very much), how about some constructive replies? For example, are there some add-on keyboard trays that would attach to my desk?
What kind of desk do you have? Have you checked the PB setup thread for possible ideas? Have you ever used an iCurve?

STAT  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2004, 02:22 PM

My desk is the one pictured. It's a custom stainless steel desk made by a company that makes stainless steel kitchen equipment. I can drill into it though.
Apple user since 1987

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2004, 02:46 PM

Ok, looking at the photo of your desk, I'd say any laptop riser will help. I'm partial to the iCurve myself, but look around and see if anything catches your eye.
While it may not bring the screen that much closer to your eyes, physically, raising it higher than you have now will make it easier (the computer screen being closer to eye level rather than you looking down.
You could also try and ditch the arm rest and bring the external keyboard and the PB a little closer to you. That will also help and not sacrifice ergonomics. Finally, if all that fails, get an external monitor, even a used one.

STAT  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2004, 03:17 PM

Good post, Randman. I'm currently using a Road Tools Podium CoolPad, but am considering the Lapvantage iMac-like dome stand.
Apple user since 1987

pipflypip
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2004, 04:00 PM

Got the solution for you: icurve+better glasses.

tavilach
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 08:52 PM

Originally posted by pipflypip:
Got the solution for you: icurve+better glasses.
Dude, he has better than perfect vision...
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Casper Crane
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2004, 12:55 AM

i thought the iCurve was beautiful, until i tried to use it. if you are using an external keyboard, i guess it is fine. doesn't the space under the iCurve give you enough room to use the keyboard in almost the same location as the actual keyboard on the powerbook?

anyway, i gave up on the external keyboard ages ago. switched to the Podium CoolPad, which raises the screen about 3 inches, without hardly rasing the front of the keyboard at all. you never see it, which is more beautful than clear plastic. and the best part is you can really use the keyboard. the one Apple wanted you to use in the first place. which feels great, by the way.

i thought i would miss the number pad and hate the key combos for function keys. not really. if i were an accountant, i'd miss the number pad.

nothing looks better than a powerbook with nothing attached to it. which is why you need a bluetooth mouse. and airport. express. and someday soon, wireless USB and Firewire.

Podium CoolPad

Kermy
Nov 9, 2004, 02:16 AM

Hey guys, if you have any suggestion for a new laptop stand, please post. I'm about to do a senior project and I'm planning on manufacturing an aluminum laptop stand for powerbooks. I haven't decided on a design yet, so I'm trying to see what users want. Only thing I have down is that the finish will be like that of the Powerbooks.
Powerbook G4 12" Combo

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2004, 02:41 AM

There's one other option: Get a bt keyboard. That a trackball setup like Logitech's optical Trackman (a great track system, I use one at home and work).

STAT  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2004, 02:55 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
There's one other option: Get a bt keyboard.
The keyboard in that picture is the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard.
Apple user since 1987

tavilach
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2004, 04:49 AM

Originally posted by Kermy:
Hey guys, if you have any suggestion for a new laptop stand, please post. I'm about to do a senior project and I'm planning on manufacturing an aluminum laptop stand for powerbooks. I haven't decided on a design yet, so I'm trying to see what users want. Only thing I have down is that the finish will be like that of the Powerbooks.
I don't know if I agree with the finish being like that of the PowerBooks. Just like a blue shirt with blue pants don't match, aluminum with aluminum might not match. If they were two separate things, then that'd be different...but the PowerBook being on the stand changes things a bit. Note the gray and white of the iBooks, rather than just pure white, and the gray finish of the PowerBooks.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2004, 04:59 AM

Originally posted by Kermy:
Hey guys, if you have any suggestion for a new laptop stand, please post.
One, most people are going to have their laptop on it. Two, what about iBook users? Three, extra weight of alu vs something like the iCurve.

Kermy
Nov 9, 2004, 11:47 AM

Well aluminum isn't that heavy to begin with but I see your point about the aluminum on aluminum.
Powerbook G4 12" Combo

gbarill
Nov 9, 2004, 05:18 PM

as long as the aluminum wasn't totally different it would look cool. i'd rather have an aluminum stand than a plastic one (am i the only one that likes metal so much more than white plastic or is it just me, jesus)

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2004, 07:39 PM

I use an iCurve and love it. Of course you need to have an external keyboard. But you're in luck because this article just came out today and provides a pretty comprehensive roundup of laptop stands.

STAT  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 10, 2004, 05:37 PM

I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner. Here is my "Poor Man's Laptop Stand" that does exactly what I wanted it to do...for FREE!!!

It:
� Raises the PowerBook to my desired height (top of the screen level with my eyes)
� Overhangs the PowerBook's wrist rest over my external keyboard
� Allows me to move the PowerBook around some for varied viewing

Anyway, here it is!

Apple user since 1987

Forum Links
Forum Rules