Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS 8.5 Themes in OS X Classic?

OS 8.5 Themes in OS X Classic?
PerfectlNormalBeast
Sep 19, 2000, 03:59 PM

Does anybody remember how OS 8.5 and later had support for "Themes" natively? It only came with the platinum theme, but there were a few others floating around on the web, including a "Techno" theme and a "Gizmo" theme.

Well, I was wondering if these themes will affect the classic environment under OS X? Perhaps someone could create an Aqua theme for the OS 9 classic environment, so it's not so glaringly different. I wonder if this is not what Apple had in mind when it added the unsupported themes feature to OS 8.5? I have yet to recieve my copy of OS X to play around with this.

I'll bet Greg Landwebber is working on something like this now anyway.

Muahdib
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2000, 04:06 PM

Kaleidoscope will do this, assuming you have a Mac OS X theme. They are hard to find because Apple jumped hard on these Kaleidoscope themes that resembled the Aqua interface.

I have Kaleidoscope running on my MacOS 9 partition and use it for my classic environment in MacOS X. The classic environment follows whatever Kaleidoscope theme I have running. Hope this helps.

PerfectlyNormalBeast
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2000, 04:10 PM

That's great to hear. I'm still a little curious about native themes. I'll play around with it when my system comes.

cfoster611
Sep 19, 2000, 04:27 PM

From what i've seen, all the theams that you had in OS 9 still work in the classic enviroment. But only in the classic enviroment, they don't effect the rest of the system.

One of the things people are doing is using a aqua theam in os 9 to match the aqua in the rest of the system.

I don't know if kaleidoscope still works.

Muahdib
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2000, 09:50 PM

Kaleidoscope does work. At least it does on my Powerbook.

Squidgy
Sep 19, 2000, 10:46 PM

The issue of "Aqua" themes for OS 8.6 - 9.0 involves Apple apparently threatening legal action and this got websites to pull their Aqua themes a few months ago.

I managed to find this link, however it looks lousy, the window buttons are all wrong, and it makes the system slow down.

I have another Aqua theme which I got off of Hotline awhile back. I have no idea who authored it but it looks like the screen shots I've seen of the OS X PB (without the transparency and drop shadows, of course). The frontmost window's title bar is gray, while background windows are blue (I think this is opposite OS X Aqua). It seems stable, although the double scroll bar arrows (double arrows at each end) worry me a bit - I turned them off. Anyway, I'd be happy to email it to anyone interested.

- Ken A.

[This message has been edited by Squidgy (edited 09-20-2000).]
- Ken A.

Squidgy
Sep 19, 2000, 11:41 PM

Sorry - double posted.

[This message has been edited by Squidgy (edited 09-19-2000).]
- Ken A.

PerfectlyNormalBeast
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2000, 01:58 AM

Yeah, I found an Aqua theme file for OS 9 that is working great. Combined with Greg Landweber's PowerWindows, it looks pretty close. I'm looking foreward to loading it on OSX PB.

Now if only Epson would release some drivers...

Forum Links
Forum Rules