Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X beta and PowerBook (Wallstreet) G3

OS X beta and PowerBook (Wallstreet) G3
dopeavy
Sep 17, 2000, 10:53 AM

My WallStreet G3 book has a 2GB HD. Always too small, but for a strict, text editor using Web Developer, all I need is BBEdit, IE/NN, and FTP. And 2BG was cheaper. So, I have always needed to upgrade but find it cheaper to do so as needed instead of buying top of the line.

I just ordered a 6.5 GB removeable drive for the media bays on the book ($316) and OS X Beta ($30). Seems to be the best way to play with this thing and if it's bad, I'm only out $30, since I needed the drive and I have the added protection of getting rid of OS X beta altogether if needed, without downgrading.

I plan to leave my HD as is (OS 8.1). Runs great! Instead, I will install OS X beta on the removeable and then slip it in when I want to play with it.

My questions:
1. Does anyone know for sure that the beta will run on the PB G3 WallStreet (M4753)?
2. Will 96 MB RAM be enough for just OS X Beta and NO classic environment?
3. Any problems booting from a removeable drive and OS X Beta?
4. How much will the speed of the machine and boot time be affected by installing on the removeable drive, considering the device is a DMA drive? (Or is it?)
5. I have a cable modem and fast net access. Any problem with cable net and OS X Beta?

------------------
==========================
In all things, Moderation.

cfoster611
Sep 17, 2000, 11:02 AM

Booting from the Media Bay may not work. And Classic won't work with Mac OS 8.1. It 'needs' OS 9. 96 MB of RAM should be ok, because VM is great on *NIX.
I know that my WallStreet, 300/DVD/8GB, runs it. I don't know about yours. It should do fine.

schwei
Sep 17, 2000, 11:04 AM

You won't be able to use any classic apps. Apple assumes OS9 is present somewhere on your system already. As far as I know right now, OS 9.0.4 is necessary to "officially" beta test X.

No way is SteveAviPhil et al. gonna support 8.1 users for the Classic environment. The X installer will probably tell you so: "Sorry, couldn't find OS9; you won't be able to use Classic Apps"

If your cable modem implementation is DHCP, you'll probably be able to get on the 'net under X pb. Since you're using 8.1 right now, that's probably the case. The OSX setup will probably ask you for your settings the first time, so make sure your cable modem is up and shows you're connected.

When SteveAviPhil et al. say OS X is good for any G3 (except the earliest pb G3), they mean a G3 running OS9, and preferably 9.0.4.

Good luck anyway.
Mac evangelist since 1986

dopeavy  (op)
Sep 17, 2000, 11:12 AM

Accorsing to the Apple site: http://a224.g.akamai.net/7/224/51/1d...X_PB_FAQ-a.pdf

...you should be able to install the Beta on it's own, provided you do not want to use the classic environment. And I do not, which is why I would use the removeable for BETA. At worst, I can copy my HD to the removeable and put OS X on the drive.

I just hate the thought of buying OS 9 when it's going to be obsolete immediately. But if needed, I guess I could upgrade. But, jeez, I hate the thought.

As far as 8.1 running under classic, don't want to do that anyway and I know it's not possible.

------------------

dwebb
Sep 22, 2000, 03:45 PM

I have a PowerBook G3/300, 192MB, 8G disk, bought in Jan. 1999. (I believe this makes mine a WallStreet?)

The MacOS X installer doesn't show my hard disk in the list of disks to install on. It only shows the (disabled) MacOS X CD-ROM. My hard disk is formatted as Mac OS Extended.

The installed log shows this:
Gathering info for Apple_HFS
Couldn't open /dev/disk0s1s9. (-1) May be mounted.
GetParent: partnNum = 9.
GetParent: partnType = Apple_partition_scheme

Any ideas?

------------------
Dan Webb
[email protected]

tutru
Sep 22, 2000, 11:09 PM

Originally posted by dwebb:
I have a PowerBook G3/300, 192MB, 8G disk, bought in Jan. 1999. (I believe this makes mine a WallStreet?)

The MacOS X installer doesn't show my hard disk in the list of disks to install on. It only shows the (disabled) MacOS X CD-ROM. My hard disk is formatted as Mac OS Extended.

The installed log shows this:
Gathering info for Apple_HFS
Couldn't open /dev/disk0s1s9. (-1) May be mounted.
GetParent: partnNum = 9.
GetParent: partnType = Apple_partition_scheme

Any ideas?

I partitioned my drive and installed X on the first partition. That worked for me.

graphixmaker
Forum Regular
Sep 23, 2000, 04:49 AM

dopeavy,

I tried to install to my media bay HD with no luck. When it installed, it rebooted and then all I got was a grey screen and a system folder icon that was torn in half. I thought I might have messed up the install, but it did the same thing the next time. Sorry, it doesn't work, you have to use the internal. Good Luck.

Jim

Veerle
Forum Regular
Sep 23, 2000, 09:22 AM

I have Mac OS X running on an orginal Wallstreet 250Mhz model with a 4 GB HD and 160MB installed. Mac OS 9 is on the first parttion on OS X on the other. I did a clean install and everything works fine. It is not that slow, but if you compare it to MacOS X running on a G4/500Mhz then you'll want to switch instandly :-) I should recommend on installing Mac OS 9.04 otherwise you can't use many programs that are not availible yet on Mac OS X. You can also switch between the two, much needed if you use Airport for Internet access. I also think 96MB will be not enough to work comfortly on your Mac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules