Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iDefrag - Any Opinions on this New App?

iDefrag - Any Opinions on this New App?
bergy
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 17, 2005, 06:14 PM

Hello ..

I am well aware of the issues surrounding defragging ..

What I was wondering was if anyone had used or knew anything about this new defragmentation app

iDefrag
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/16819

Your opinions on its reliability and capability if possible ..

Thanks ....
Tiger 10.4.8

jessejlt
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 17, 2005, 07:06 PM

OSX monitors the filesystem and does "defragging" on the fly. There is no need to defrag an X installation.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2005, 07:16 PM

"iDefrag"? Wow. Now, that is a legit-sounding app.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

bergy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 17, 2005, 07:33 PM

It's got good reviews from Macupdate users ...
And 4 out of 5 stars from Versiontrackeer

Here's an excerpt from one review

"Another objection�this time raised by Apple�is that existing defragmentation tools may actually slow your machine down by moving files into or out of the �Hot Band�, defeating Panther�s Adaptive Hot File Clustering code. As far as we know, iDefrag is the first defragmentation tool for the Mac that fully supports the Hot Zone, guaranteeing that this is not a problem. In fact, reading further, I see it actually optimizes and rebuilds the Hot Band, thus benefitting those who use it..."

I'm not looking for the pros and cons of defragging .. just if anyone knows if this does a good job on what it says it does .. It might be a cheaper alternative to Tech Tool for those who must defrag ....
Tiger 10.4.8

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2005, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by Chuckit:
"iDefrag"? Wow. Now, that is a legit-sounding app.
Actually, I think it's kinda clever

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2005, 08:40 PM

Disclaimer: I haven't defragged my drive in years, and don't really think it's necessary.

With that said, I had a casual look around the Web for information on iDefrag. As it turns out, a few people out there have reported that iDefrag is even slower than TTP's defrag feature! And if you've ever used TTP's defrag, well, it's hard to believe that anything could possibly be slower.

There have also been reports of data corruption with the original few versions, although to their credit it looks like they've quickly released bug fix releases every time a data corruption issue has popped up.

Something that could be interesting is this program, from Prosoft:

http://www.prosofteng.com/products/d...enius_info.php

It seems to have a pretty good selection of tools - it kind of reminds me of Norton back in the days when it was actually good. A disk repair program (unnecessary with DiskWarrior around), an optimizer, drive cloning, surface scan, hardware tests (the description is vague, so I don't know if they're as extensive as TTP), Fix Permissions (why? It's in Disk Utility already), SMART, benchmarks, and a sector editor possibly like Norton Disk Editor used to be (okay, this would be nice).

Of course, this thing being brand new, there are no reviews on the Web that I can find. I'm not sure I'd trust a brand-new utility that hasn't been in the wild at least long enough to get a few maintenance updates. However, it is made by Prosoft, and they have an excellent reputation for some of their other data recovery products, such as Data Rescue.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2005, 04:12 PM

I think speed for a defragger is not that big an issue. Typically you start it running before you go to bed. So long as it is done by the time you get around to using your computer the next day, the speed doesn't matter.

rslifka
Forum Regular
Aug 3, 2005, 06:47 PM

I also had a long read through the versiontracker feedback. If you're convinced by Apple marketing or developer support that the drive does not require defragging (note: this is different than optimization), then pass this by.

As one of the versiontracker's put it - debate is one thing, real world performance measurement is another. If you run it and your system speeds up afterwards, whether or not it "should" need degfragging or optimization is irrelevant.

There are several people who gave the tool high ratings based on dramatic performance improvements. Either they're lying (which I doubt), are prone to inaccurate self-reporting (more likely) or they had genuine performance improvements (probably even more likely).

Rob

p.s. I don't own any defragging/optimization tools since switching from the PC, but am also considering it.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2005, 06:55 PM

I hate this whole "OS X does it automatically" BS.

OS X only defrags certain files under certain conditions. Last time I checked I had tens of thousands of file and freespace fragments on my iBook's hard drive. I don't do anything out of the ordinary with my machine.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2005, 07:13 PM

Yes, the OS does defrag certain files under certain conditions. I don't think anybody ever claimed the OS defrags 100 percent of your files all they time. The OS performs some defragging and optimization, they say, and thus it is not necessary to do more yourself.

Incidentally, scads of people reported huge speedups on every 10.1.x upgrade even if Apple didn't do anything to speed it up. People often perceive speedups just because they're hoping for one and happen to have to restart at the time they expect a speedup.
Chuck
___

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 3, 2005, 07:30 PM

Optimization is a form of defragmenting that does not seek to completely eliminate fragmentation, nor to unify free space. What it does do is defragment critical files and some executables (I think) to ensure the system doesn't lag or hang because of fragmentation. It does NOT speed disk access to data files, nor necessarily speed loading of programs, both of which should be byproducts of full defragmentation.

In other words, disk optimization keeps OS X from being the "bad guy" if things slow down, but full defragmentation has benefits beyond optimization.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2005, 10:56 AM

Well, I wouldn't use it until you have a backup of everything.

But IF you have enough disk space for a backup, the best defragging is to create a Backup IMG of your disk, boot from another Disk and replace the backed up system with the IMG you created.

-t

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 4, 2005, 12:08 PM

Not to mention defragging is pretty much a must for anyone working with very large files (video editing, audio editing, etc) as last I knew OS X only defrags files up to 20MB in size when you use them (if they need it).
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2005, 02:14 PM

Defragging would actually be beneficial in video editing, I agree. Anything where you frequently work with large files and you have to frequently hit the on-disk copy will be helped by defragging. This isn't a limiting factor in most people's work, though.
Chuck
___

Forum Links
Forum Rules