Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Image File thumbnail Icons

Image File thumbnail Icons
phkc070408
May 8, 2018, 10:21 AM

Before upgrading to High Sierra, I used to be able to create icons for my pictures using the automator. I am not referring to the "Show Icon Preview" option that is listed under "Show View Options". What I'm referring to is an actual icon that is unique to that picture, an icon that can be copied and pasted to another file by going to "Get Info" and then clicking on the icon at the upper left hand corner and copying the icon, and then pasting into another document in the same format.

I used to be able to create these using Photoshop but that feature was removed. Then I learned that I could use the Automator and create a Workflow that would do this.

Unfortunately this does not work in High Sierra, which is funny because it is still listed as an option in the automator.

I take LOTS of pictures and would like to find a way to do this quickly. I know I can open the image in Preview and copy it and then Paste it in the "Get Info" window, but that is time consuming. While I'm hoping that Apple fixes this in the next version of MacOS, I am stuck using two different Operating Systems, using High Sierra for the Live Photos and then Sierra to create my icons.

Does anyone know of a way to do this rather than using brute force? I really would like to get this to work.

andi*pandi
May 8, 2018, 01:31 PM

Huh. I sometimes customize folders and such, (ah, the old free icons from iconfactory.com... ) but have never customized image icons because usually the thumbnail that is automatically generated is accurate enough.

I am not on High Sierra yet though. Hopefully someone will come along who is.

Forum Links
Forum Rules