Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Dedicated GUI customization forum?

View Poll Results: What do you think?
Poll Options:
Keep it here. Who cares loser? 8 votes (9.64%)
Dedicated MacNN GUI Customize forum! 72 votes (86.75%)
Move it offsite to BBXstudio maybe (with help) 8 votes (9.64%)
Take up the offer from PC GUI site 2 votes (2.41%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll
Dedicated GUI customization forum?
bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 4, 2002, 06:12 PM

Shouldn't there be one? Or is it just happy the way it is? I'm just curious as to what the OSX GUI developers and enthusiasts are thinking (if anything).

It must upset those with 'legitimate' 3rd party software questions that this forum is being slammed with tons of GUI + theme related threads. This forum is already becoming a hotbed for this stuff - you'd think that MacNN would dedicate a forum to it (and officially become the de-facto discussion site for this stuff)... it's wierd that the 'hardware modification' forum is here (must be rare), and yet an interface modification forum doesn't exist.

I'd love to host a forum on BBXstudio.com, but being somewhat internet-retarded I have no idea what's involved and how I'd go about setting that up (also, I have no idea just how involved moderating/maintaining this sort of thing might be). I'd need some help getting this up and running - but I do have pretty much unlimited everything and could host it easily enough.

I've also received a generous offer from an existing PC customization site with an offer to host such a forum (assuming I become a moderator, which I have almost zero time for if it involved anything beyond a few minutes a day). I'm torn as to whether there'd be too much distraction with the PC crowd (and trolling, which is going to happen anywhere).

So which should it be? I've had no problems with MacNN (and the way things are, really), but it seems to me that at the very minimum they should open a forum up to this stuff. Am I overestimating interest here?
( Last edited by bbxstudio; Dec 4, 2002 at 06:25 PM. )

schep
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2002, 06:23 PM

when is bbxstudio.com going to be online?

Synotic
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2002, 06:24 PM

Setting up a forum isn't that hard, if you need help I can't give you a hand. As far as maintaining... There isn't much to that either, and you can have other people moderate it. I suggest one of the free ones like PHP BB or Ikonboard, if you want to pay you can try vBulletin or UBB, or obtain a version some other way. If you're interested you can e-mail me at [email protected]

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 4, 2002, 06:28 PM

Originally posted by Synotic:
Setting up a forum isn't that hard, if you need help I can't give you a hand. As far as maintaining... There isn't much to that either, and you can have other people moderate it. I suggest one of the free ones like PHP BB or Ikonboard, if you want to pay you can try vBulletin or UBB, or obtain a version some other way. If you're interested you can e-mail me at [email protected]
Why would I need to email you if you can't give me a hand? Hehe - did you mean you can (typo with can't)?

zazou
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2002, 06:28 PM

Originally posted by bbxstudio:
Shouldn't there be one? Or is it just happy the way it is? I'm just curious as to what the OSX GUI developers and enthusiasts are thinking (if anything).

It must upset those with 'legitimate' 3rd party software questions that this forum is being slammed with tons of GUI + theme related threads. This forum is already becoming a hotbed for this stuff - you'd think that MacNN would dedicate a forum to it (and officially become the de-facto discussion site for this stuff)... it's wierd that the 'hardware modification' forum is here (must be rare), and yet an interface modification forum doesn't exist.

I'd love to host a forum on BBXstudio.com, but being somewhat internet-retarded I have no idea what's involved and how I'd go about setting that up (also, I have no idea just how involved moderating/maintaining this sort of thing might be). I'd need some help getting this up and running - but I do have pretty much unlimited everything and could host it easily enough.

I've also received a generous offer from an existing PC customization site with an offer to host such a forum (assuming I become a moderator, which I have almost zero time for if it involved anything beyond a few minutes a day). I'm torn as to whether there'd be too much distraction with the PC crowd (and trolling, which is going to happen anywhere).

So which should it be? I've had no problems with MacNN (and the way things are, really), but it seems to me that at the very minimum they should open a forum up to this stuff. Am I overestimating interest here?
Setting up a BB on BBXstudio.com isn't hard. As long as the server supports PHP I can install the PHPBB module in about 30 minutes.

Still, MacNN is already a draw. A UI thread here would draw the most views and input I imagine.

Haven't you noticed? Chronic cynicism takes no skills, little energy, no education, and if you do it really well in poorly-lit coffee-houses, it gets you laid.

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 4, 2002, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by zazou:

Setting up a BB on BBXstudio.com isn't hard. As long as the server supports PHP I can install the PHPBB module in about 30 minutes.

Still, MacNN is already a draw. A UI thread here would draw the most views and input I imagine.
Yeah, the BBX server supports just about anything - but you make a valid point about MacNN (just wish I could post freakin' attachments - what's with that?).

I might be interested in setting up a member-based BB onsite anyways for BBX fans... I guess a general interest OSX GUI BB might become a hassle to host if I ever got burned out and never did another GUI (however unlikely).

Thanks for the input

Gatorzx2
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2002, 07:59 PM

I think it would be a great idea to have a "GUI Customization" forum here at MacNN. I don't know why they already don't since all of the great themers and designers frequent these boards.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2002, 08:08 PM

There is a thread about it a while ago:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...ht=theme+forum

I, for one, prefer a dedicated GUI customization forum in MacNN Forum.

smeger
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2002, 08:52 PM

This comes up every once in awhile. The last time, it was slammed pretty hard by the mods.

I don't really have much of a pref, but there are a few benefits of MacNN's current situation. The main one is that theme newbies become exposed just by hitting the Software forum - there's a lot of traffic.

A few other people have set up boards in the past year and they've sort of languished. Dunno why...
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

swiz
GUI Punk
Dec 4, 2002, 09:01 PM

Originally posted by smeger:
This comes up every once in awhile. The last time, it was slammed pretty hard by the mods.

I don't really have much of a pref, but there are a few benefits of MacNN's current situation. The main one is that theme newbies become exposed just by hitting the Software forum - there's a lot of traffic.

A few other people have set up boards in the past year and they've sort of languished. Dunno why...
Yeah, the mods usually point-counter-point this issue until the members just give in. Its a recurring cycle.

Ive got a domain Im considering setting up for OSx customization with regards to the GUI but Im waiting until M Stoton gets his project off the ground before I step on his toes.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

rgoer
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2002, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by swiz:
...but Im waiting until M Stoton gets his project off the ground before I step on his toes.
I wouldn't sweat that to much there, Swiz... I hate to sound so invective, but every time that moron opens his mouth, he basically screams out: "Please! Somebody step on my toes! That's what I'm looking for! Step on them! I promise, I will sit right here and whine like a little girl until these toes are stepped on!"
Even Einstein feared the power of "spooky action at a distance"

Dace
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2002, 11:58 PM

I love the look and feel of Neowin.net forums . Their forums are powered by Invision (http://www.invisionpower.com)

mrbiiggy2
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 5, 2002, 01:18 AM

I've wanted to get my theming site back up again (after it sitting dormant for awhile, due to my neglect), and then this opportunity jumped right into my lap. I've had a lot of forum experience (administering them), and I'd love to be able to do this for the community. One problem, my hosting (run off of my business line) isn't the most adequate for hosting a very active board. We can give it a try and go from there. If it doesn't work out and you want help on BBX Studio I'd love to admin/mod/whatever.. Wherever I can lend a hand.. Obviously I have a lot of time on my hands right now
( Last edited by mrbiiggy2; Dec 5, 2002 at 01:47 AM. )

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2002, 02:08 AM

I checked out Neowin.net. It has a nice design to it. The "N" logo kinda looks like the old NeoPlanet logo. I think having a GUI customization forum would be AWESOME! If the response to BBX Mercury X was any indication, there are lots of people interested in customizing their computer interface. Keep those themes coming!! Please!

Trekkie
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2002, 03:11 AM

I've also received a generous offer from an existing PC customization site with an offer to host such a forum...
And give PC users even more of an opportunity to rip off OS X themes?!? I suggest you turn the offer down and go with your own forum.
-Trekkie
To point, click and boldly go...

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2002, 09:33 AM

Yeah, the mods usually point-counter-point this issue until the members just give in. Its a recurring cycle.

Ive got a domain Im considering setting up for OSx customization with regards to the GUI but Im waiting until M Stoton gets his project off the ground before I step on his toes.
(A) My site is not going to centered around themes. Some people use them, some don't.

(B) Seriously, I don't mind if anyone steps on my toes.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2002, 09:40 AM

Originally posted by rgoer:

I wouldn't sweat that to much there, Swiz... I hate to sound so invective, but every time that moron opens his mouth, he basically screams out: "Please! Somebody step on my toes! That's what I'm looking for! Step on them! I promise, I will sit right here and whine like a little girl until these toes are stepped on!"
I admit freely to many stupid-@ss things I've said. Even a few I've done. I don't recall asking for someone to step on my toes though

Yet again I'll say I've got about as much interest in starting a theme site, theme forum or whatever as I've got in starting my own circus comprised of chimps.

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2002, 10:13 AM

I was just thinking about this the other day, I miss GUI Junkie, that was hell of a site and I hope whoever sets up a GUI Customisation site can live up to the standard that I feel has been set by GUI Junkie.

mrbiiggy2
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 5, 2002, 06:57 PM

Originally posted by ShotgunEd:
I was just thinking about this the other day, I miss GUI Junkie, that was hell of a site and I hope whoever sets up a GUI Customisation site can live up to the standard that I feel has been set by GUI Junkie.
What was GUI Junkie? I've never heard or seen it before..
( Last edited by mrbiiggy2; Dec 5, 2002 at 08:34 PM. )

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Dec 6, 2002, 07:25 AM

So how about if some mods would answer and tell us if this is possible? I don't see why not.

ambush
Banned
Dec 6, 2002, 09:33 AM

We need a big GUI customization forum/mini-community like those Windows Customization sites...

I want a site with the biggest theme archive, articles, forums, BETA TESTING, software section, etc!!!!

I *could* host it. But I'd need to buy more bandwidth / disk space... it'd cost me like 150 bucks.

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2002, 09:39 AM

One word: Resexcellence

ambush
Banned
Dec 6, 2002, 09:45 AM

Originally posted by invisibleX:
No, a new one

swiz
GUI Punk
Dec 6, 2002, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by invisibleX:
My only arguement for that is that I am only interested in OSX customization. I'd really like to do it but I'd need some reliable assistance, people who aren't going to fade away and lose interest in short amounts of time. Rather not do it if Its just gonna end up shooting me in the foot.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

ambush
Banned
Dec 6, 2002, 11:19 AM

So who wants to start a new community?

swiz
GUI Punk
Dec 6, 2002, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by ambush:
Well I could set up a phpBB on the swizcore site but thats already been discussed here before in one form or another and people just kind of know the macnn software forum as THE place for OSX theme discussion so unless it is a complete OSX GUI site theres really no point.

Y.A.S.R.O.S
(Yet another swizcore run-on sentence)

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 6, 2002, 02:02 PM

My only arguement for that is that I am only interested in OSX customization. I'd really like to do it but I'd need some reliable assistance, people who aren't going to fade away and lose interest in short amounts of time. Rather not do it if Its just gonna end up shooting me in the foot.
My biggest issue with ResExcellence on this is that they don't have a forum/bb.

I think OSX customization will only get bigger... it died off in OS9 only because of the shift to OSX. Right now is the pioneering /fumbling stage - once the foundations are in place, things can only expand. The time is ripe to start building these foundations - build it (decently, of course) and they will come in droves.

It's been said that the present situation using the MacNN 3rd-party forum offers some advatanges with regards to exposure to those who wouldn't be exposed otherwise, and i guess this is true. But to be honest, I had to hunt this place down (not MacNN, but the clandestine 'theme' community within) - I only stumbled across it by accident 6 months into hunting for OSX theming information and resources. I can just see my Kaleidoscope bretheren who may have decided to give it a go stumbling around online, yanking their hair out looking for a decent tutorial or resource list and freaking out when they can't figure out what's meant by 'baby sea urchin' in the diagram references at Desktopper.net... where does one go? There are no pointers out there to this place.

The biggest drawback to me about MacNN (aside from the fact that it's moderated by individuals outside of the OSX theming community) is that everything is public (not to mention unfocused at this stage without a dedicated GUI customization forum)...

...post a preview for a theme weeks from completion and a port will be released PC-side before the original on the Mac is released (those guys are like machines looking for new designs to adapt to every skinnable PC outlet available - Mac designs are ripe for the picking). There is no closed peer to peer review with the exception of private emails. A BB that required registration and an agreement to non-disclosure terms-of-use would be invaluable. It would also allow for endless reams of technical / troubleshooting discussion without filling up a generic software forum. Of course, you'd have to think up ways to keep it 'private' - that is, keep the PC-side idea-cruisers and non-developers out... (one solution would be a 'sponsorship' program whereby new users would need to be sponsored by known developers).

I know this all sounds paranoid - but I caught wind of PC guys porting Max' remix of BBX Mercury from the time the first Screenshot went up. Who cares, really (still windows, still hellish), but it can be discouraging when you've spent hundreds of hours on something and somebody lifts it instantly like that. I just think it would be nice to have a place dedicated to the discussions involved in developing this stuff where there would be no worries about GUI rape and the like. Not an elitist 'developers club' (although it may sound that way), but a distraction-free testbed / community thinktank / peer support area.

Just ideas at this point. Discussion, discussion - trying to get some thoughts out in the open is all. I myself would be incapable of implementing anything like this near-term, anyways... I still can't figure out why my webpage won't load for cryin' out loud! I feel like an infant with a bazooka at this point... the power to do anything and no idea how to do it Man, I suck - how's that for horn tootin', Swiz?

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2002, 02:10 PM

I dunno, X Themination got a fair number of Kaleidoscope people including yourself. I haven't a foggy clue if it was easy to find or not but a large number of people found it. Unfortunately things fell apart due to my friend vanishing

I feel like soldier with a pea-shooter.

zazou
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2002, 02:28 PM

--snip--

Preach it brother BBX.

OK, now I think we should set it up.

Efforts have failed in the past. Synotic had a really good thing going with www.interfacestudio.net, but he abndonned it for some reason.

I can instantly think of maybe a dozen guys that could be part of the project. The question is are they willing and can we not make it a pissing match and can we do this as a serious endeavor?

What we need is a plan! I am certainly not the talented designer and themer, but I have a strong biz sense and can help plan the endeavor.

So, what...? Shall we get a tally of those that are game?

Max, Swix, Adam, Dace, Matt, Smeger? Others? What do you say?

Haven't you noticed? Chronic cynicism takes no skills, little energy, no education, and if you do it really well in poorly-lit coffee-houses, it gets you laid.

swiz
GUI Punk
Dec 6, 2002, 02:29 PM

I think OSX customization will only get bigger... it died off in OS9 only because of the shift to OSX. Right now is the pioneering /fumbling stage - once the foundations are in place, things can only expand. The time is ripe to start building these foundations - build it (decently, of course) and they will come in droves.

It's been said that the present situation using the MacNN 3rd-party forum offers some advatanges with regards to exposure to those who wouldn't be exposed otherwise, and i guess this is true. But to be honest, I had to hunt this place down (not MacNN, but the clandestine 'theme' community within) - I only stumbled across it by accident 6 months into hunting for OSX theming information and resources. I can just see my Kaleidoscope bretheren who may have decided to give it a go stumbling around online, yanking their hair out looking for a decent tutorial or resource list and freaking out when they can't figure out what's meant by 'baby sea urchin' in the diagram references at Desktopper.net... where does one go? There are no pointers out there to this place.

The biggest drawback to me about MacNN (aside from the fact that it's moderated by individuals outside of the OSX theming community) is that everything is public (not to mention unfocused at this stage without a dedicated GUI customization forum)...

...post a preview for a theme weeks from completion and a port will be released PC-side before the original on the Mac is released (those guys are like machines looking for new designs to adapt to every skinnable PC outlet available - Mac designs are ripe for the picking). There is no closed peer to peer review with the exception of private emails. A BB that required registration and an agreement to non-disclosure terms-of-use would be invaluable. It would also allow for endless reams of technical / troubleshooting discussion without filling up a generic software forum. Of course, you'd have to think up ways to keep it 'private' - that is, keep the PC-side idea-cruisers and non-developers out... (one solution would be a 'sponsorship' program whereby new users would need to be sponsored by known developers).

I know this all sounds paranoid - but I caught wind of PC guys porting Max' remix of BBX Mercury from the time the first Screenshot went up. Who cares, really (still windows, still hellish), but it can be discouraging when you've spent hundreds of hours on something and somebody lifts it instantly like that. I just think it would be nice to have a place dedicated to the discussions involved in developing this stuff where there would be no worries about GUI rape and the like. Not an elitist 'developers club' (although it may sound that way), but a distraction-free testbed / community thinktank / peer support area.

Just ideas at this point. Discussion, discussion - trying to get some thoughts out in the open is all. I myself would be incapable of implementing anything like this near-term, anyways... I still can't figure out why my webpage won't load for cryin' out loud! I feel like an infant with a bazooka at this point... the power to do anything and no idea how to do it Man, I suck - how's that for horn tootin', Swiz?
I totally agree bbx. I am by no means a hardcore developer but I do have the ability to setup a forum which requires authentication to even access the base area and then only allow administrator approved persons to participate but again, like you, I dont have enough free time to get this ball rolling on my own. I'd need to be pretty damn well convinced that I would have long lasting assistance from folks who aren't the fly-by-night kinds. I mean, I could do all the forum related stuff for setting up and all but I would definitely want assistance with the whole design of the site, navigation, what areas to develop and provide. It would be really great, I am just looking for a collaboration with other creatives who are also very motivated. Even after the work starts, not just with the idea of it.

swiz
GUI Punk
Dec 6, 2002, 02:40 PM

Im leaving for Chicago for the weekend right now but I hope some more comes of this topic by the time I return sunday.

Dace
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2002, 02:49 PM

Preach it brother BBX.

Efforts have failed in the past. Synotic had a really good thing going with www.interfacestudio.net, but he abndonned it for some reason.

I can instantly think of maybe a dozen guys that could be part of the project. The question is are they willing and can we not make it a pissing match and can we do this as a serious endeavor?

What we need is a plan! I am certainly not the talented designer and themer, but I have a strong biz sense and can help plan the endeavor.

Woh my alias was mentioned. I'm honored. Sure, I think it would be great if we had a forum that required authentication and "sponsorship". Kind of like a "Secret society" The dark and secret Mac Community of GUI Enthusiasts, were you have to perform a few tests of loyalty before being accepted. Then once you're accepted...you get branded with a hot iron and are given a ring

Ok, so I watch too many movies. But seriously, I do think it's a good idea and I'd be willing to provide any help that I can...after all I have no life

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2002, 03:20 PM

I think that just an other "page" in the general MacNN forums would be best. The problem is that while many of us posters check here every day, many only check about once a week or so. There are SO many theme posts here that questions regarding problems often get lost. This means that if one of the regulars can't answer a question that the question frequently doesn't get answered. I know that last month a few people were complaining that many questions don't get answered as much as in the past. I can't say for that, but if it is true, this might be the reason.

Compare this to slower sub-forums, such as the Unix forum or the PowerMac forum. There questions stay much longer and are easier to deal with.

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Dec 6, 2002, 03:24 PM

I'd be very happy to post in such a forum, but I can't help setting one up, because I don't know how. I and swiz have a good thing going per mail though. We have started comment on each other upcomming themes to make sure that they are topnotch. Something like that would be cool in a little larger scale. I also think the most cunning people should make an extensive tutorial together (in english). I would like to write one myself, but I feel I would have hard to explain everything.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2002, 03:27 PM

Preach it brother BBX.

I'm all up for it. We only need a serious people who are willing to devote most of their time on theme community (ie: interfacestudio, etc)

Right now in this forum, it feel like we are borrowing a pong table and use it as a drawing desk. I'd rather us to get our own art desk.

Even though if the demand of new themes are low, I'd still love to work with all other themers here. It's always fun to compete (in a good way). Maybe someday all of us themers could work on one theme and make it kick some serious ass
( Last edited by Adam Betts; Dec 6, 2002 at 03:32 PM. )

zazou
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2002, 04:33 PM

Site name suggestions? These are off the cuff

xuichat.com
xuistudio.com
xuigroup.com (zooie-group, may fav so far)
x-ui.com
osxui.com
uiconsortium.com
pixelmages.com
xpixel.org, .net
resourceid.com (another fav)
and
pixums.com

(I am gonna keep this ball rolling)

Synotic
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2002, 04:36 PM

Preach it brother BBX.

It wasn't really abandoned, it was just hosting that was a problem. I have the entire site backed up on my HD thanks to tinrib. Oddly enough some of the elements looked slightly BBXish. Maybe you might want to see them for some reason. Mike made some really nice site graphics.

And BBX (do you prefer Billy, William?), erm yeah I meant "can"

I am willing to help out, I am good at dedicating a lot of time for something, it took me like 2 hours to put up 10 themes. Mainly because of the slow process. If I actually could have kept it up (i.e. if I could host it) then I know someone who says he could help me create a program to develop the previews and whatnot

So do you have a particular forum you like? PHP boards are generally faster...

smeger
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2002, 04:50 PM

I'd be glad to help out with whatever I can. I do web design & php/mySQL stuff for a living, so I'm pretty competent in those. My problem is that the amount of time I have available to donate is on the scale of minutes per month, so probably all that I can do is troubleshoot tech issues and maybe moderate forums - I just don't have the time to be in charge of backend development.

But I'm totally willing to help out however I can.

Oh, btw, synotic ditched his site because of bandwidth costs. If the site we create hosts themes, instead of just linking to 'em, this is going to be a concern. Once a site gets above around 20GB per month, bandwidth can become a real cost. 20GB of download bandwidth equals 6827 downloads of a 3MB theme - that's not an insanely large number of dl's at all.

Who's gonna pay for it? How's it going to be funded?

I don't like the idea of a private forum at all. I'm still willing to be involved, but I'd way rather see something public.

I guess if the majority of the discussion were public, with a small private section, I'd be cool. I understand that it sucks to have a design ported before you're even done with it, but I think that the benefit off newbies being able to be inspired by seeing the work-in-progress far outweighs the drawbacks of porting.

This is, of course, just my opinion.

Originally posted by bOOzo:
I also think the most cunning people should make an extensive tutorial together (in english). I would like to write one myself, but I feel I would have hard to explain everything.
I had hoped to create that with this. I'd really like to get feedback and suggestions on it and make it into a collaborative project.

Unfortunately, the tutorial has thus far received fewer comments & suggestions than I had hoped. I had sort of expected to receive something slightly larger than zero suggestions or requests.

If people would like me to continue work on this, please start contributing ideas. Damnit. Or at least tell me that you appreciate that it exists or something!

: cricket chirps :
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

zazou
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2002, 04:53 PM

Originally posted by Synotic:
It wasn't really abandoned, it was just hosting that was a problem.

--snip--

So do you have a particular forum you like? PHP boards are generally faster...
Well, I have a couple ideas as far as hosting. And ultimately, even if it were a paid non-ad carrying server, 12 charter members at once forking over just a few bucks (caertainly less then $20 US)each could have it running for a year.

Syn, you own interfacestudio.net, and that would be a great URL... but if this is gonna work like it should it needs to be a ground up process that everyone is a part of. That way no ones toes get munched. I don't think you should have to surrender something you own for that... it is yours.

It will take a community effort. Pre-existing weight may be a bad thing.

As for BBs, I would probably say PHPBB is top candidate. Fast, free, lots of mods and VERY skinable.
( Last edited by zazou; Dec 6, 2002 at 05:06 PM. )

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Dec 6, 2002, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by smeger:

I had hoped to create that with this. I'd really like to get feedback and suggestions on it and make it into a collaborative project.

Unfortunately, the tutorial has thus far received fewer comments & suggestions than I had hoped. I had sort of expected to receive something slightly larger than zero suggestions or requests.

If people would like me to continue work on this, please start contributing ideas. Damnit. Or at least tell me that you appreciate that it exists or something!

: cricket chirps :
Sorry about that, I had a quick look at it, but I have not read the entire thing yet. I do appreciate that you're taking the time to write it though. I will see if I can take some time and read the whole thing. But I can tell you it's way different from my way of doing themes, but I'm still (mostly) using Sprocket.

ambush
Banned
Dec 6, 2002, 05:46 PM

it's very easy to code a php/mysql page that can display a DB of themes and it's even possible to add a search engine ( pretty easy to do but time-cosuming ).

A PHP/MySQL theme archive would be nice and EASY to maintain.

I know - I'm not a themer - but I'm just supporting you guys I'm here to help.

mrbiiggy2
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2002, 11:59 PM

As I posted before, I have the hosting, the forum, the resources, the time, and everything.. I just lack the people.

ambush
Banned
Dec 8, 2002, 12:35 AM

Originally posted by mrbiiggy2:

As I posted before, I have the hosting, the forum, the resources, the time, and everything.. I just lack the people.
Oh my god - this site renders soooo badly on chimera..

mrbiiggy2
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2002, 12:49 AM

Oh my god - this site renders soooo badly on chimera..
I'm using the latest nightly with no issues.

yukon
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2002, 01:12 AM

interesting idea....i dunno, it would be cool to have, but i don't think it would be used properly. just a bunch of people asking for hacks.

interesting though, interesting....maybe a central thread? can vbulletin do sticky threads?
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

Forum Links
Forum Rules