Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > New iMac Weirdness

New iMac Weirdness
pesto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2000, 11:00 PM

I recently bought an iMac DV Special Edition � awesome piece of equipment.

For several weeks now I�ve been trying to load all my favourite apps, utilities, control panels & extensions. When I install just about anything and restart, just as the last extension loads I get a bomb message either �Illegal instruction�, �Error type 10� or �Bus error�. The message says to restart with the shift key down to turn extension off. I do this but a bomb message appears of any of the 3 mentioned above.

I have been running all the exact same soft ware on a PowerBook G3 bronze 333mhz for over a year using OS 9.0.4 ( the same version that came with the iMac) so this seemed very strange.

Just to see what would happen I used the �Install� CD that came with the iMac to do a clean install of OS 9.0.4 on the PowerBook, and guess what, the same problems began to occur!!!!!

:-{

So I clean installed OS 9.0 from the CD, down loaded the OS 9.0.4 update and installed that and, you guessed it, it all works fine.

My Apple Centre says the Os supplied with the iMac and the update are the same but they definitely are not. For one, the Sound Control Panel in each is different.

Has Apple done something funny here and not told any one (shades of MS)?

Am I domed to use Apple Works only and a vanilla OS for the rest of my life. To say the least it is very disappointing & frustrating, to pay so much money for a computer that you expect to be an amazing jump forward and discover that in the month I�ve had it I have only been able to use it for a few hours.

Can any one shed some light on this � please!

------------------
People don't care how
much you know until
they know how much
you care.
People don't care how
much you know until
they know how much
you care.

Jsnuff1
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2000, 03:20 PM

wow i only thought micro$oft had error messages like "an illegal operation has been performed" never heard "illegal instruction" on the mac os before

proton
Senior User
Nov 29, 2000, 01:28 AM

Simply reinstall your system software from the "Software Install" CD that came with your iMac. Make sure when you do it you use the Clean Install option or you will keep your corrupted/incompatible extension.

The reason that the version of the Mac OS for these machines is different is due to some modifications to the motherboard and the new keyboards. You have basically got a Mac OS 9.0.4/9.1. Don't worry, you're iMac will run OS 9.1 when it is released and OS X.

The Proton

Forum Links
Forum Rules