Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Disc Burner and a 2000 G4

Disc Burner and a 2000 G4
Camali
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2001, 02:11 PM

I realized that I didn�t use my DVD drive as much in my G4 (purchased in May 2000).

So I went ahead and purchased a Sony 12x8x32x internal drive. Since that is the brand Apple is using (albeit the 8x model) in the 2001 G4s and pretty much everyone else is having success using Sony with G4s.

Installation was quick, quite surprised there was really nothing to it either. I setup the internal Zip a master and the CDRW as the slave. I used tomeviewer to install disc burner and iTunes was already installed.

So I�d like to know how I can get disc burner to use another partition or drive instead of the root? I have only 1 gig left on the boot partition and when I copy files the CDR icon, I have about 300mb left but then once I start burning an image gets created and then it stops, telling me that there is not enough room to create the image.

I can make more room, but I�d rather just designate another drive/partition where there is tons of space for disc burner to use. Can it be change elsewhere?

Also what can I do to get better performance when converting MP3s to actual Audio when using iTunes?

Somehow I don�t feel like I�m actually getting 12x on my CDRW, and maybe Apple limited the burning process (through the Finder) to 8x? Since they�re configurations use the 8x speed model.

I hope someone can help me out here.

snodman
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2001, 12:03 AM

Diac Burner makes the disc image twice. Once as you rip it and another "optimized" copy that is the one that actually writes to the blank CDR (which is why you are running out of room). I have never seen any preference in Disc Burner that lets you choose a volume for your scratch files. Probably the easiest workaround is to boot from a different (large and mostly empty) volume when you want to burn CDRs and hope Disc Burn uses that boot drive for the scratch files.

Forum Links
Forum Rules