Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > error in terminal

error in terminal
horix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2003, 12:31 PM

since i installed 10.3 whenever i launch a new terminal window i get the error "tcsh: /usr/bin/manpath: Command not found." i had issues with X11 and fink, and i think i just messed everything up. is there some way for me to reinstall everything? i cant even use telnet.... thanks for any help in advance.

superlarry
Senior User
Oct 27, 2003, 01:20 PM

what happens when you try to run telnet?

you might try reinstalling X11 from the third panther cd (it's an installable package on there).

horix  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2003, 01:36 PM

it says that the command isnt found... telnet isnt in /usr/bin, but ssh is.. im using that now, so i guess im ok, but id still like telnet... just wondering why it isnt there.....

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2003, 01:46 PM

Telnet is here:

/usr/bin/telnet

You've probably got problems with your path. I notice that you're on panther but are still using tcsh. I'd recommend going to bash since it's the default shell now (and IMHO it's better than tcsh anyway).

The manpath error is because something in your .profile or .tcshrc is trying to run manpath. I am not sure why you would not be able to run it though -- the path /usr/bin/manpath is correct. Do this and report what you get:

ls -l /usr/bin/manpath /usr/bin/telnet

Maybe it's a permissions issue.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

horix  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2003, 02:07 PM

ls: /usr/bin/manpath: No such file or directory
ls: /usr/bin/telnet: No such file or directory

my os hates me.... i swear.... i just want to run fink so i can use gaim! ahhH! im not even gonna start on how bad i screwed that up when i tried to get it going once i installed panther

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2003, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by horix:
ls: /usr/bin/manpath: No such file or directory
ls: /usr/bin/telnet: No such file or directory

my os hates me.... i swear.... i just want to run fink so i can use gaim! ahhH! im not even gonna start on how bad i screwed that up when i tried to get it going once i installed panther
Your install seems messed up. Did you install the BSD subsystem?
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

horix  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2003, 02:26 PM

i dont know... i thought i did... should i just do a custom install of 10.3 again and just put in BSD sub and X11?

incandenza
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2003, 03:34 PM

manpath and telnet are both in the BSD subsystem. You can install it by just putting in the first Panther install disc and double-clicking on the package (under "Optional Installs"). You probably don't need to reinstall X11 if it successfully installed already.

horix  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2003, 04:11 AM

i installed BSD and dont have any more errors when launching terminal.. but now im trying to get gaim going in fink and im running into problems... i try to do a selfupdate and when its getting fink all updated it gets up the unzip program or whatever and it stops saying its got an error and to check for circular dependancies. now whenver i try to selfupdate i get this:

sudo /sw/bin/fink selfupdate
Password:
I will now run the rsync command to retrieve the latest package descriptions.

Updating stable/main
rsync -az --delete-after -q 'rsync://master.us.finkmirrors.net/finkinfo/10.3/stable/main/finkinfo' '/sw/fink/10.3/stable/main/'
Updating stable/crypto
rsync -az --delete-after -q 'rsync://master.us.finkmirrors.net/finkinfo/10.3/stable/crypto/finkinfo' '/sw/fink/10.3/stable/crypto/'
find . -name CVS | xargs rm -rf
rsync -az -q rsync://master.us.finkmirrors.net/finkinfo//VERSION /sw/fink/VERSION
touch stamp-rsync-live && rm -f stamp-cvs-live
Information about 1106 packages read in 2 seconds.
The following 13 packages will be installed or updated:
apt apt-shlibs bzip2 bzip2-dev bzip2-shlibs debianutils dpkg gettext
gettext-bin gettext-dev libiconv libiconv-bin libiconv-dev
The following additional package will be installed:
fink-prebinding
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
Failed: Problem resolving dependencies. Check for circular dependencies.

i installed and did selfupdate with cvs first instead of rsync and got the same problem...

Forum Links
Forum Rules