Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Hack a Mac ROM on OS 8 for G4

Hack a Mac ROM on OS 8 for G4
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2000, 05:16 PM

I posted this to the hack the hardware section, but I thought it applied to both forums and am really looking for some help:

Not directly hardware related, but it used to be. Now that the Open Firmware loads its settings from the MacOS ROM, is there any way to hack the ROM and disable the compatability check?

To tell you the truth, I'm quite sick of MacOS 9. I've had nothing but problems. I would really like to get good ol' MacOS 8.5.1 back on my Mac. Unfortunately the 500MHz G4 is restricted to MacOS 9 and above.

I was thinking of somehow editing the MacOS 8.5 ROM into bypassing the compatability check, thereby just continuing to boot.

I would apreciate any comments or suggestions. I know a similar task was accomplished with MacOS X and a UMAX clone (but it was Open Firmware direct since it wasn't a New World Mac.)
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

wlonh
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2000, 08:31 AM

here's a suggestion, give us a few details of why you have such difficulties with 9.04 (when it would seem that most others have found it to be very stable indeed, as i have on three Macs) and maybe you will like it as do so many...

Forum Links
Forum Rules