Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How long do your reboots take?

How long do your reboots take?
kevs
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2006, 11:53 PM

I"m now on 10.4.6.
Dual G5 1.8, 2 Gb ram,

only have couple of log in items, my reboots take 1 min and 25 seconds. Bad?

eeeaa
Forum Regular
Apr 9, 2006, 04:56 PM

Mine take much less now that I have upgraded the hard drive in my iBook, for whatever reason. Your time doesn't seem that bad at all, though. Is that from the time you turn it on, until the time you get logged in and can start opening applications? If so, that's not that bad at all, considering that I'm sure mine takes longer. But that also might have something to do with the fact that you are running a G5, and I'm running a G4 iBook. :-)
Dennis R. Metzcher
MyMacBlog.com: My experiences with the Mac OS, a switcher's point of view. With a new Mac tip each week day.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2006, 06:07 PM

I've not timed a reboot but I would guess well under a minute. G5, 1.8 SP, 1.5GB RAM.

But since I rarely reboot, I don't worry about it.

NeilCharter
Senior User
Apr 9, 2006, 10:14 PM

For me it takes far less time to start up than it does to shut down. I estimate about 30 secs on a G4 sawtoth with a 1 ghz upgrade.
If I had a signature, it would look something like this

FS-Zero
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2006, 01:51 AM

I got a macbook pro and my reboot only takes 30 seconds

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2006, 03:36 AM

My iBook is booting MUCH quicker after 10.4.6 - about 50 seconds compared to about 80 seconds before 10.4.6
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2006, 04:09 AM

I've done some tweaking to my OS X installations, and I generally count my boot time in terms of how many times the little activity circle thing goes around. On my iBook G4 it's 11 times, then the progress bar zips across in about 1.5-2 seconds. Desktop loading time after I type my password in is about ~6 seconds.

eeeaa
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2006, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Tomchu
I've done some tweaking to my OS X installations, and I generally count my boot time in terms of how many times the little activity circle thing goes around. On my iBook G4 it's 11 times, then the progress bar zips across in about 1.5-2 seconds. Desktop loading time after I type my password in is about ~6 seconds.
Regarding your Desktop loading time, how many login items do you have starting up when you log into your Mac? Also, what kind of tweaking have you done?
Dennis R. Metzcher
MyMacBlog.com: My experiences with the Mac OS, a switcher's point of view. With a new Mac tip each week day.

JKT
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2006, 05:16 PM

After installing 10.4.6 I found my log-in time increased dramatically but it was fairly obvious why - all my disabled fonts had been re-enabled (suggesting that the font caches etc had been deleted as a part of the 10.4.6 installation process) and I have a lot of fonts installed. Once I disabled most of them again, log-in times are back to normal.

Forum Links
Forum Rules