Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Bug List For 10.3

Bug List For 10.3 (Page 4)
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2003, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by oexecbmug:
Spoke with Apple employee about the fact that my early ice book using panther will not give the cube action when switching users. This needs later version of video card. (time to purchase newer iBook?)
Okay.

The cube is cool. Really.

But it is NOT what makes Panther a hit OS. Really.

-s*

CIA
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2003, 05:29 PM

I'm using custom icons from xicons. I have two user accounts on my machine, admin and another. Admin has all Simpsons icons for the hard drives, the other account has random icons for the hard drives. It thought it was cool that you could have the same volumes use two sets of icons for different users. After an hour or so the custom icons on both user accounts started displaying funny (they turned pink to be exact) plus in some cases the icon itself changed to a random icon (also pink).
Anyone else have this problem? When I redid the icons they stayed the same for a bit, but changed when I clicked on them. (again, pink)
10.3 clean install, 1.5GB Ram, DP800 GF3.

ewiesner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2003, 09:31 PM

I am having the sleep problem mentioned above. I had not response from keyboard or mouse. Had to force a restart and then unplug the keyboard to get it to work. The mouse never did work. I then forced the machine to shut down using the cntrl-option-apple cd eject key combination. After shutdown I restarted my machine and everthing is working again. So... another sleep problem, surprise, surprise...

mcblue
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2003, 04:23 AM

I upgraded from 10.2 to 10.3 on Friday of last week. The installation was sucessful on my powerbook until my first restart! After the restart all my user settings were gone, and all the OS settings, access to my keychain etc, was lost. I also encountered problems with launching Safari, iChat and Entourage! I tried severl fixes using the First Aid utility but I ultimately had to clean reinstall the OS. These problems seem to only affect my system when filevault is turned on?
mcblue

Kate
Senior User
Oct 31, 2003, 04:57 AM

Originally posted by stoneage:
Does it help with this? iTunes (port 3689) is open and shut at the same time.
Yes, it should.

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 31, 2003, 12:38 PM

Icons on desktop- When i disable 'Snap to grid' i move my hard disk icons as far right on the screen as possible (name still visible), when i log out then back in the icons move over to the left about 2 cm..far enough over that my browser window covers them.

I remember this bug back in 10.0 and 10.1.x it was fixed when 10.2 came out now its back again...hella annoying. I guess this is the side effect to the grid Spacings being changed...no doubt the compression of the text in the Finder has something to do with this.

Icons in the 'Search Results' window (invoked after a command+f search) often on my system are NOT displayed. Some times, a FEW icons are displayed and most are NOT. Other times, i need to drag the scroll bar down then up then the icons appear...but this doesn't work sometimes.

Icons (again) not changing after setting the file type association. When i select a '.aif' or '.aiff' file, execute a 'Command+I' (get info) on these files then do the routine 'Select app using Open With' and hit 'Change ALL' i notice after logging back in that NOT ALL those file types have changed their icons.

Search Results window does NOT remember the View Settings when logging back in. When i change these view settings to the smallest font an select the columns i wish to view additional searches FINALLY remember the previously set variances, however if i log out then back in again an do a search :-(( BIG BOOOOOOOO the view settings default back to dumbassed settings the Finder thinks we should frickin look at...Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr These are the little things that do my head in b/c EVERYTIME i will be wasting time changing the shiot to the way I WANNA LOOK AT STUFF!!!

YES im compulsive-perhaps its a treatable condition...bah yeah just fix the shiet so me doesn't have to stress over it.

I noticed some other infrequent wiredo graphical glitches, can't explain them right now cos i aint remembering exactly what circumstances caused the glitch. Basically i noticed sometimes that when in list view some items were partially highlighted but not in fuil , oddly i never even selected them.

Anyways enuff time wasted here....hope someone @ the b!G � spends alot of time data mining this place to report our finding back to the mothership where the scientists over there resolve the issues ;-)

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2003, 06:03 PM

Here's a corker. My Macally iMedia USB keyboard can no longer type in Safari, even after installing current drivers. Weird. Back to Chimera for me for a while.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2003, 11:41 PM

Originally posted by Nonsuch:
Here's a corker. My Macally iMedia USB keyboard can no longer type in Safari...
Are you running Cocoa Gestures? If so, that's the problem and you need to update.

Xestrel
Nov 1, 2003, 01:10 PM

Here's a show stopper:

Periodically (like every 20 seconds or so) the menu bar widgets erase and redraw themselves. And if the additional motion in the corner of the screen wasn't distracting enough, occasionally the window i'm working in loses its focus when this happens. Now i have the fun task of figuring out where to put files and do a clean install on this puppy. ugh.

-xest

Le Flaneur
Senior User
Nov 1, 2003, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by Landos Mustache:
Go into MS Word, try to fax, then pull up the address book in the fax dialogue. Locks up.
Yup. Noticed that last night.

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2003, 07:09 PM

Originally posted by Dale Sorel:
Are you running Cocoa Gestures? If so, that's the problem and you need to update.
Yes indeedy, thanks for the tip.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

Mathue
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2003, 11:20 PM

Originally posted by geekwagon:
On a 23" Studio Display as icons show up on my desktop (from downloads, drive mounts, whatever) they will go down the right side of the screen and pile up in a little corner at the bottom right. They never start a new row to the left of the first one. This bug has been there since the first WWDC build. None of my Powerbooks do this so I think it must be related to the 1200 pixel vertical resolution on the 23".

Happened with an upgrade from 10.2.6 and a clean install.

Well, I have the same problem, but I'm on a CRT 1600x1200. Maybe it is indeed the resolution size?
--
MT - Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

masterx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2003, 03:18 AM

Originally posted by nedloftj:
Well, there seems to be a bug in that the Network Browser won't let you save/use passwords in the Keychain. (yet it attempts to do so and Mac Help says you can)
I can't seem to get the network browser to work at all. When I click on one of the listed servers it either locks up the finder or gives a password prompt and then locks up. So either way I don't get my network drives.

macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2003, 03:21 AM

Originally posted by masterx:
I can't seem to get the network browser to work at all. When I click on one of the listed servers it either locks up the finder or gives a password prompt and then locks up. So either way I don't get my network drives.:mad:
Because networking in Panther is pretty broken. We must wait.

tRr
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2003, 04:09 AM

Hey Guys,

I keep getting kernel panics whenever emptying the trash with file above 500MB as it seems. Here is what it says in the logs:

panic(cpu 0): jnl: transaction too big (1044992 >= 1048064 bytes, bufsize 4096, tr 0x19adf94 bp 0x1fac6a48)
It's really beginning to bug me, and I've tried different users and running disk utilities all showing fine.

Is it a reinstall for me or is anyone else seeing something like this?

macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2003, 04:12 AM

Try DiskWarrior 3? It's saved me a number of times.

tRr
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2003, 04:28 AM

Originally posted by macgyvr64:
Try DiskWarrior 3? It's saved me a number of times.
I don't own DiskWarrior 3, but 2 shows everything to be fine.

I don't think its a drive problem because OS 9 has no problem deleting the big files. And Panther has no problems deleting anything under 500MB, which of course is the majority of my deleting.

Even using the terminal and rm causes it to panic..... I haven't tried safe mode yet, but will when I find another file that causes it to happen.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2003, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by geekwagon:
On a 23" Studio Display as icons show up on my desktop (from downloads, drive mounts, whatever) they will go down the right side of the screen and pile up in a little corner at the bottom right. They never start a new row to the left of the first one. This bug has been there since the first WWDC build. None of my Powerbooks do this so I think it must be related to the 1200 pixel vertical resolution on the 23".

Happened with an upgrade from 10.2.6 and a clean install.
I noticed and have this bug too.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

matttichenor
Nov 2, 2003, 02:33 PM

Similar to this... open a Finder window then Hide The Finder by presing Apple-H. Now double click a folder on your desktop. Instead of opening your newly selected folder, it just displays your hidden Finder window(s) unactivated. You have to double click your preferred icon again to have it open. I don't remember this behaviour in Jaguar and it is an action I do all the time.

m

Originally posted by SomeToast:
Multiple windows open in the Finder, behind other open application windows.

Click the desktop to make the Finder active and do command-N to make a new window.

The window is created, but the top-most window in the Finder's window order is brought to the top too.

Never used to work this way, and I can see no good reason for it to do so now. Kind of blows the interleaved window concept to have app windows popping up seemingly at random.

matttichenor
Nov 2, 2003, 03:07 PM

Some bugs so far unmentioned.

1) Carbon Apps selected text looks awful: Quicken 2002, Word Print window.

2)Fax preferences:

A) Refuses to email me faxes, no matter what email address I use.

B) When I hit Fax in the print window and then try to send a fax manually by typing in just the telephone number there are some nasty Address Book Autofill bugs.

C) When typing in the Fax Cover Page Text Box while sending a Fax, if I hit return to go down a line it just sends the fax becuse the Fax button is automatically highlighted.

3) Color Labelled icons' text looks awful when Highlighted on the desktop (minor)

That's about it for my complaints so far,

Thanks for listening,

Matt

Orion27
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2003, 03:09 PM

I also find upon reboot Boot disk and my other disks and partitions are all over the place. When I move them to the right upper corner where they belong, upon log out and login they move back to random places. Arrange by name puts the disks in the upper right corner but now I can't move files and folders where I want. Even after deslecting all options, icons revert to another place regardless of where I put them.

masterx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2003, 03:09 PM

this "bug" has been present in every version of mac os X that had a terminal that supported transparency. Its not a bug, the window shadow code trys to make a shadow around the text, and it because the coders assumed that the shape of the window probably doesn't change all that much, made it so that it doesn't update constantly, such as when you clear the text in the terminal.
It seems to be worse in panther because the back shadow seems so much darker especially if you use white text on 100% transparency and place the window infront of a white window. I'm not complaining because I would never use transparency in my terminal.
Originally posted by EatingPie:
I was in the middle of posting this exact "burn-in" bug!!! (Note to self: type faster.)

I can verify that it occurs at any transparency, most noticable at 100%. It also occurs after about 10-20 seconds of static text. It's not immediate!

It also seems to be a Panther bug and not necessarily a Terminal bug. I tried this with Jaguar's terminal loaded into Panther, and it did the same thing (it doesn't in Jaguar).

I think Panther is creating a shadow of the text against your desktop. When you clear your window the "shadow" or burn in remains behind. To clear it, click another running application in your Dock.

-Pie

masterx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2003, 03:32 PM

Originally posted by CatOne:
Easy... From terminal, go to preferences. There's an option for 'Declare terminal type ($TERM) as:"

Select vt100 (the default is color). Then it will behave as before.

The downside is that with vt100 you can't get color directory listings. With xterm-color, if you do an 'ls -G' you'll see all sorts of pretty colors now :-)
setting it to type ansi has both

tRr
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2003, 05:48 PM

Originally posted by tRr:
Hey Guys,

I keep getting kernel panics whenever emptying the trash with file above 500MB as it seems. Here is what it says in the logs:

It's really beginning to bug me, and I've tried different users and running disk utilities all showing fine.

Is it a reinstall for me or is anyone else seeing something like this?
I just did a Archive and Install and the issue remained so I did another one without preserving Usernames and settings and it still panics when emptying large files................

Safe-Mode made no difference as well as cleaning up the Cache files of OS X. I've also tried removing .Trash folders but nothing seems to want to work.

Am I the only one that is having problems with the trash? Any other idea's?

tRr
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2003, 09:39 PM

Finally got it fixed!

I had noticed that even though I was doing an Archive and Install without preserving usernames and settings, it was still moving some of my Applications into the new Applications folder. That got me thinking what else it was moving and possible not replacing. I decided to completely remove Mac OS X and just start over again, but I didn't want to reformat my hard drive.

I booted into OS 9 and moved the Users Folder and the Applications folder into new folder called Backup-- so the Panther's installer couldn't see it. Then using ResEdit to make invisible files visible, I deleted every file from the root of my hard drive that had to deal with OS X (System, Library, etc, var, private, etc.)

Once that was all done I installed Panther again and now everything works perfect. Now its just moving all my old files back from the Backup folder and I'm back in business. I also notice things to be much faster like removing discs that were accompanied by delays before.

So I guess even if your having a problem sometimes "Archive and Install" can't fix it. Obviously a reformat would have solved the problem as well but I didn't want to loose all my files so if you can still boot into OS 9 you can use the way I did it or if you have another Mac handy I suppose you can use target disc mode to do the same thing.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2003, 09:59 PM

Originally posted by zachs:
Finder draws random icons incorrectly:

I've been seeing that problem a lot. It's f**king driving me nuts.

macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2003, 10:03 PM

Same here...sometimes it just displays garbage data in the icon... bleh

Palafo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2003, 12:19 AM

Had some problems with mail, but repairing permissions seems to solve that; only problem is, every time I reboot, I have to repair permissions, it seems.

For some reason, I am asked for the administrator password when I try to unmount my external firewire drive. This didn't happen in the beginning, so I'm wondering if there is some setting I clicked. I am the sole user and I work in the administrative account.

Safari and some other internet connection problems, may be related to my airport network. I have a TiPB so it's always had a crummy connection to the airport, but it seems like I have a lot more failure to find server errors in Safari and Watson. I often have to click the URL a couple of times. But it's hard to know if that's Panther or just a problem with my network -- aggravated by a minor Panther bug...? Hard to say. I have my old system 10.2.8 on another drive, so I may boot from that and see if anything's different with the wireless network.

Any suggestions welcome on the external drive/password issue (it is a FW 400 and I don't think it's got the Oxford chipset issue)

tRr
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2003, 12:38 AM

Originally posted by macgyvr64:
Same here...sometimes it just displays garbage data in the icon... bleh
I had this issue with some of the earlier builds of Panther.

Here is a link to the fix.

I think this program might also be able to help you.

macbuddha1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2003, 01:51 AM

Maybe I'm crazy, but my display calibration works great. For the first time in OSX I can actually adjust color, tint, and contrast on my powerbook, among other things. The old calibration in 10.2 only let me adjust white point correction and gamma settings- pretty useless. So far this one is much better!

re: "The first deals with display calibration. It just doesn't work. If anyone else here can get it to work (in the Display Preference pane) please let me know the haps. A related bug: Previously created display calibartion profiles don't take under Panther unless you restart after selecting a profile, and even then it doesn't always apply. This sucks mad rocks."
All Mac since 1987.
www.mactechedu.com

timmerk
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2003, 06:27 AM

Didn't see it mentioned, but I could have missed it:

"Hide Extension" checkbox doesn't work on files.

Le Flaneur
Senior User
Nov 3, 2003, 10:13 AM

Put a folder with a custom icon in the sidebar. I find that that folder's custom icon will disappear periodically. Doing a command-I on the folder seemed to bring it back for a while in the past, but that no longer seems to work.

Anyone else?

reactor
Nov 3, 2003, 12:30 PM

This is what I get when I connect to another Mac, running Panther on both:

After connect, the disk containing the OS (on the computer I'm phisically at), shows in a finder-window, with all the normally hidden root files and folders visible! I can navigate through them all, deleting files at will.....

I have to click another disk's icon and go back to get things right. This is hard to get rid of though, as every new finder-window appears in this state.
if there were no Mac
it would be necessary to invent one

mikemako
Senior User
Nov 3, 2003, 02:01 PM

Originally posted by reactor:
After connect, the disk containing the OS (on the computer I'm phisically at), shows in a finder-window, with all the normally hidden root files and folders visible..
Is root enabled on that computer? If so, try disabling it.
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

reactor
Nov 3, 2003, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by mikemako:
Is root enabled on that computer? If so, try disabling it.
I checked, it's not enabled.
if there were no Mac
it would be necessary to invent one

noka
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2003, 03:47 PM

Safari Crashes: Safari has been constantly crashing on me... about twice a day every day since i've installed Panther 10/24/03.

Active Dir Network Browsing: Also, I can't browse the shared volumes/devices on our WinActiveDirectory Network.... The AD stuff in Jaguar sucked, but atleast it worked.

Besides those two gripes, Panther kicks ass... great speed improvements.

noka
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2003, 03:54 PM

Safari Crashes: Safari has been constantly crashing on me... about twice a day every day since i've installed Panther 10/24/03.

Active Dir Network Browsing: Also, I can't browse the shared volumes/devices on our WinActiveDirectory Network.... The AD stuff in Jaguar sucked, but atleast it worked.

Besides those two gripes, Panther kicks ass... great speed improvements.

kelesh
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2003, 07:28 AM

Originally posted by EatingPie:
I was in the middle of posting this exact "burn-in" bug!!! (Note to self: type faster.)

I can verify that it occurs at any transparency, most noticable at 100%. It also occurs after about 10-20 seconds of static text. It's not immediate!

It also seems to be a Panther bug and not necessarily a Terminal bug. I tried this with Jaguar's terminal loaded into Panther, and it did the same thing (it doesn't in Jaguar).

I think Panther is creating a shadow of the text against your desktop. When you clear your window the "shadow" or burn in remains behind. To clear it, click another running application in your Dock.

-Pie
hehe, i was about to post this bug. this has been pissing me off to no end ever since I noticed it. it never happened in 10.2, but it plagued my upgrade install and now my format install. i hope they fix this stupid bug soon.

Orion27
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2003, 07:35 AM

Has anyone else noticed while scrolling in list view in the Finder, there seems to be a funky redraw of text at along a certain point in the window. I thought it may have been a screen anomaly but it only happens in the Finder as opposed to scrolling a line of text in say Safari.
By the way I have a 20" cinema display set 1680 x 1050

Le Flaneur
Senior User
Nov 4, 2003, 09:06 AM

Originally posted by Orion27:
Has anyone else noticed while scrolling in list view in the Finder, there seems to be a funky redraw of text at along a certain point in the window. I thought it may have been a screen anomaly but it only happens in the Finder as opposed to scrolling a line of text in say Safari.
Yes, I see it on my PB G4/867. Must be the video driver.

greener
Nov 4, 2003, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by goMac:
I cannot use more than one network connection at once. For example, if I dial up with my modem, I can no connect to servers on my network via Airport. It appears to be related to the network connection priorities. This is a big one for me. Any time I need to fetch something off my server I have to disconnect.

And before you ask, my server would be sharing my internet connection over my network, but Panther server does not recognize the internal modem as a valid networking port under NAT, only the ethernet and firewire. It works fine under everything else for simple dialing up, but not NAT.
I think this one is worth bumping, I'm having the same problem except with Airport and ethernet. Can anyone else confirm this? Looks like multihoming isn't working in MY Panther.
"There is no spoon" - Spoon Boy

barbarian
Senior User
Nov 4, 2003, 01:27 PM

The installer is still pretty dumb and still relies on files to be in specific places. I don't understand why the OS X after several revs installer can't at least have the smarts that the OS 9 installer had. Is it a bug? Don't know, but it sure is annoying.

Software Update suffers from the same stupidity. For example, if I move any of the iApps into a folder within the applications folder, I get a request to update them every time the program runs. This is just dumb.

mcsjgs
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2003, 05:02 PM

If you delete all cookies while in Sherlock, it will delete all your Safari cookies. Very annoying. Sequence is:

Preferences>Show Cookies>Remove All

Prahn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2003, 05:19 PM

Here is my Panther bug contribution:

When opening the Terminal, I get a really small window. It is just the title bar with the close button, but it is even not possible to resize it! I tried to delete the prefs but had no luck... :-(

Had this on three machines, but on my TiBook I have no probs?!?!

Prahn

himself
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2003, 12:06 AM

Originally posted by Prahn:
Here is my Panther bug contribution:

When opening the Terminal, I get a really small window. It is just the title bar with the close button, but it is even not possible to resize it! I tried to delete the prefs but had no luck... :-(

Had this on three machines, but on my TiBook I have no probs?!?!

Prahn
I had this problem, but deleting the prefs is what did the trick for me...
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Ligander
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2003, 12:08 AM

I have been experiencing a problem where I will go to copy text or picture and paste and both stop working. When it happens copy and paste are lost in all programs. When I restart, the problem is fixed. Is anyone else seeing this?

I'm using a G4 Titanium Powerbook 15 in.

broca
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2003, 11:14 AM

after a clean install of panther, i couldn't put date/time, battery indicator, airport signal indicator on the menu bar!!! help pls

nforcer
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2003, 05:22 PM

For some reason, when I set my screensaver by moving the mouse the designated corner, it will sometimes turn off on its own unless I require a password not too. I am trying to track down and determine if a particular application is responsible for this, or something else.

MDA
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2003, 07:17 PM

Originally posted by Ligander:
I have been experiencing a problem where I will go to copy text or picture and paste and both stop working. When it happens copy and paste are lost in all programs. When I restart, the problem is fixed. Is anyone else seeing this?

I'm using a G4 Titanium Powerbook 15 in.

Yes I've had that happen as well. If I log out and back in everything is back to normal.

MDA

scadboy
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2003, 10:05 PM

this one's fun.

I activated expose while launching mail, and when I came back to mail, the drawer was a little c0ck-eyed. Opening and closing the drawer didn't help the situation, but all was well after I relaunched mail.

Seems any window, or drawer for that matter, that is spawned while expose is in action is immune to the effect and just draws where it thought it was going in the first place.

funny that

michael

Forum Links
Forum Rules