Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > FontBook vs. Extensis Suitcase in 10.3?

FontBook vs. Extensis Suitcase in 10.3?
iChelle
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2004, 12:22 PM

Hi all,
I just upgraded to Panther from Jaguar and it is AWESOME! I'm wondering about the new feature it comes with, FontBook. What is the difference between that and Extensis Suitcase? Pros and cons? Do I need to have Suitcase or can I trash it?

siMac
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 02:29 PM

FontBook is an extremely lightweight font manager.

It depends what you use your Mac for. Since you're posting in this forum I assume you do something design related and therefore use lots of fonts. In this case, FontBook is not for you.

I would still bin Suitcase though. I used it for years because it was one of, if not the the first font manager for OSX, but it's always been slow and buggy. I recently switched to FontAgent Pro and it wipes all kinds of floors with Suitcase.

There's a free trial version available, I suggest you check it out.
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

iChelle  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2004, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by siMac:
FontBook is an extremely lightweight font manager.

It depends what you use your Mac for. Since you're posting in this forum I assume you do something design related and therefore use lots of fonts. In this case, FontBook is not for you.

I would still bin Suitcase though. I used it for years because it was one of, if not the the first font manager for OSX, but it's always been slow and buggy. I recently switched to FontAgent Pro and it wipes all kinds of floors with Suitcase.

There's a free trial version available, I suggest you check it out.
Thanks siMac! I'll check it out...am glued to the TV right now though...what a race.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2004, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by iChelle:
Thanks siMac! I'll check it out...am glued to the TV right now though...what a race.
I rally liked Font Agent Also. Would like to replace Suticase but we can't aaord 5 copies.

Now, why would you torture yourself with projections and exit polls?

designbc
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2004, 01:23 PM

Another vote for FontAgent Pro here!
There is no spoon

raynebair
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2005, 10:24 AM

I'm testing out the demo of both programs and I like that Suitcase doesn't move my fonts from their original location. That's one of the things I didn't like about Font Agent Pro. It created a library who knows where and copied all the fonts to the new library into alphabetical folders. I have all my fonts in one folder on my external HD. Can I tell Font Agent Pro to keep all the fonts the way I have them or will it always organize alphabetically? And can I tell it to store them on the external HD?

Suitcase appears to be working fine, but I just installed it last night, so I haven't had much time to test it out yet. I like the preview in Suitcase better than FAP...on the right side where I can select multiple fonts and preview them all at the same time. But something I did notice. It didn't group my fonts by family. If I have 10 loose font files of various styles of the same font, it thinks each is a separate font. I think I remember that FAP recognized that they were in the same family. Do I need to create font suitcases for Suitcase to recognize that they are in the same family?

Forum Links
Forum Rules