Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Work for older Mac

Work for older Mac
beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 17, 2005, 11:04 PM

Since Scotttheking wants some chatter, here's a request. Would someone with the knowledge to do so please compile a version of BOINC that will run BOINC/SETI under OS 10.2.8? I have an older iMac (333MHz tray loader) that has been faithfully crunching SETI classic for many years - but, SETI classic is being killed in about a month, and I won't have anything to crunch with this machine. I've tried to upgrade it to OS 10.3.x, but it won't boot off the 10.3.x CD-ROM - it just spins and spins and does nothing. It boots fine off the 10.2.x CD, so I don't think the drive is bad. I've got 256 Meg RAM in it so it has more than the minimum necessary, but it just won't work. If someone cold compile a version that runs under 10.2.8, I'd be able to add a second computer to my Team stats.

Thanks,
beadman

mikkyo
Senior User
Mar 18, 2005, 04:46 AM

Boot off the CD and leave for a day, when you come back you should be in the installer.

Running boinc under 10.2.8 yields varying results, so if you get it up to 10.3 it might be worth running.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 19, 2005, 02:13 AM

I'm still on 10.2.8 myself, so I can't check this. But is 10.3 distributed on DVD? That would explain why an older iMac's CD-ROM could not boot from it.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2005, 10:46 AM

The 333s don't have Firewire, either, right? I guess this is why you see a nice price jump on the used iMacs between 333 and 350. Is there any chance your iMac would boot off of an external USB drive?

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2005, 10:48 AM

Originally posted by reader50:
I'm still on 10.2.8 myself, so I can't check this. But is 10.3 distributed on DVD? That would explain why an older iMac's CD-ROM could not boot from it.
I think the retail box is still CDs. I installed it on my Quicksilver 2002 which just has a CD-RW in it. System Restore disks that ship with DVD-capable machines come on DVD these days.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

JacobS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2005, 02:39 PM

So am I the only person still using os9.2.2? Unless there are other options, I will need to come up with reasons other than just SETI to motivate doing an upgrade.
Jacob

Originally posted by beadman:
Since Scotttheking wants some chatter, here's a request. Would someone with the knowledge to do so please compile a version of BOINC that will run BOINC/SETI under OS 10.2.8? I have an older iMac (333MHz tray loader) that has been faithfully crunching SETI classic for many years - but, SETI classic is being killed in about a month, and I won't have anything to crunch with this machine. I've tried to upgrade it to OS 10.3.x, but it won't boot off the 10.3.x CD-ROM - it just spins and spins and does nothing. It boots fine off the 10.2.x CD, so I don't think the drive is bad. I've got 256 Meg RAM in it so it has more than the minimum necessary, but it just won't work. If someone cold compile a version that runs under 10.2.8, I'd be able to add a second computer to my Team stats.

Thanks,
beadman

mikkyo
Senior User
Mar 21, 2005, 07:11 PM

Originally posted by JacobS:
So am I the only person still using os9.2.2? Unless there are other options, I will need to come up with reasons other than just SETI to motivate doing an upgrade.
Jacob
As you are the only person, isn't that reason enough?

Forum Links
Forum Rules