Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 2008 Mbp?

2008 Mbp?
thickdrummer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2006, 06:26 PM

I've asked a few people about this already, as I think its safe to say, the laptop performance increases Apple has introduced with the MBP line over the PB have been tremendous.

I currently own a 1.67Ghz PB which I'm planning to add another 1GB of RAM and a 7200RPM HDD to, in order to see me through another two years of University.

However, as a graduation present, I will be looking to replace my dated PB with Apple's latest pro notebook...

So my question to you is...what do you think we can expect of Apple's MBP in July 2008?

1) 15" display supporting 1080vert resolution for true HD video
2) Blu-Ray/HD-DVD combo drive?
3) 4/6GB Standard of ram?
4) 7200rpm 120GB drive as standard?
5) 512MB kick-ass GPU?
6) Even thinner enclosure?
7) Carbon fiber?

Any other additions?

I'd love to know what you think...
( Last edited by thickdrummer; Sep 27, 2006 at 07:05 PM. )

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2006, 06:48 PM

1) Yes.
2) Yes.
3) 4 GB is already possible, but it will only detect 3 GB. 6? Maybe.
4) Yes. Probably bigger standard on the higher end models.
5) Probably.
6) Doubtful. The enclosure is already pretty damn thin. it would be very hard to make it thinner while maintaining current features.
7) Probably not.
Linkinus is king.

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 27, 2006, 07:04 PM

im thinkin Steve will have a "just one more thing", and then Bam! ....G6, you better believe it. and it will be quad G6. i miss power PC, it was the soul of a mac.

thickdrummer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2006, 07:07 PM

HAHA...don't you mean..."and then 'boom' G6..."

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2006, 07:37 PM

Bah! We're going back to the 68030 chips!

thickdrummer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2006, 07:43 PM

Don't you think a 16Mhz chip is a bit over the top...who would ever use that much power...

ibook_steve
Sep 27, 2006, 08:03 PM

You're joking, right? It can barely be predicted what will come out in the next month and you want to jump ahead 2 years? What purpose could this possibly serve? Work hard, get good grades, and finish school while having as much fun as possible is my advice to you. Worry about your graduation present when you graduate! Enjoy the use you get out of your current Powerbook!

Steve

thickdrummer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2006, 08:08 PM

Haha, thanks for that Steve. But come on, indulge your fantasies a little...go crazy, make some predictions...

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2006, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by thickdrummer
So my question to you is...what do you think we can expect of Apple's MBP in July 2008?

5) 512MB kick-ass GPU?
7) Carbon fiber?

Any other additions?

I'd love to know what you think...
1) These have been available for over 3 years now and Apple has shown no interest in offering them.
2) Yes.
3) Standard? No, more likely 2GB. Option? Probably up to 16.
4) Probably bigger, ~160GB.
5) 512MB, but substantially underclocked from nominal clockrates.

salaryman
Sep 28, 2006, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by thickdrummer

5) 512MB kick-ass GPU?
7) Carbon fiber?
Yes, you're right. Everyone will expect this in July 2008 but Apple won't deliver it until 2009, around the same time the rest of the industry has moved onto the next big thing

(or do I mean )

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2006, 12:40 PM

there is a guy that i go to for all my custom carbon fiber parts for my collection of motorcycles and during the race season as well, he can def make a carbon fiber case now if you want, all he needs is your gutted casing, and he can do it. Im might actually just do that, but i wanna know the pros and cons first. anyone care to chime in on that?

Saunatonttu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2006, 04:31 PM

12-inch Core 2 Duo would be enough (for this year)
Saunatonttu

Apple 12" Powerbook G4 1.5 GHz | 768Mb | 80Gb | Airport | Bluetooth | Superdrive
PC AMD Athlon 64 3000+ | 1024Mb | 200Gb | Radeon 9800 Pro | 17" CRT | Cd-asema
iPod Shuffle 1Gb

thickdrummer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2006, 02:25 PM

I'm not sure what the heat transfer is like through carbon fiber to be honest. I thought one of the advantages of the aluminium alloy case was that it helped with heat transfer from the processor, but maybe im wrong. From what I know, the case would only be slightly lighter, but would be much stronger and more rigid.

Its true Apple may not deliver on certain aspects of new technology right away, but i was reading about the possible inclusion of NAND technology to achieve faster boot-time of Mac computers, and i think that it may actually make it into all Mac computers within the next year or so.

Sound reasonable?

PER3
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2006, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by cbrfanatic
there is a guy that i go to for all my custom carbon fiber parts for my collection of motorcycles and during the race season as well, he can def make a carbon fiber case now if you want, all he needs is your gutted casing, and he can do it. Im might actually just do that, but i wanna know the pros and cons first. anyone care to chime in on that?
Just for curiosity, how much would that person charge to make such a case? The moulds must be very expensive for fine tolerances, surely?


Sep 29, 2006, 03:05 PM

We haven't even started planning for the 2008 MBP, so not even Steve Jobs can answer your question.
-

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2006, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by 
We haven't even started planning for the 2008 MBP, so not even Steve Jobs can answer your question.
2008? We don't know what Apple is going to do TOMORROW!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 2, 2006, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by PER3
Just for curiosity, how much would that person charge to make such a case? The moulds must be very expensive for fine tolerances, surely?
i would more then likely get it for free, he is my carbon guy during the race season, he makes the race bodywork for my bikes. hes coming back to ny in about a month so i am going to have take a look at it and let me know if he can do it. if he can how many would be interested?

PER3
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2006, 03:21 AM

i would more then likely get it for free, he is my carbon guy during the race season, he makes the race bodywork for my bikes. hes coming back to ny in about a month so i am going to have take a look at it and let me know if he can do it. if he can how many would be interested?
Well, about how much for one of us who are unlikely to get it for free?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 2, 2006, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by MattJeff
im thinkin Steve will have a "just one more thing", and then Bam! ....G6, you better believe it. and it will be quad G6. i miss 68000, it was the soul of a mac.
Fixed for those of you obviously not old enough to remember when Apple sold its soul to the then-acknowledged devil IBM to create the unholy bastard hellspawn that was PowerPC.

Unless you were actually one of the guys programming assembly, chip-architecture nostalgia is just utterly lame.

trevorM
Forum Regular
Oct 2, 2006, 04:42 AM

Whilst I'm well aware of carbon fiber (my road bike was all carbon; lots of carbon components on my MTB etc) but why on earth would carbon fiber be used for laptops. I couldn't think of a more unattractive material to use.
Apple Powermac G5: Dual 1.85GHz | 80Gb System | 3Gb Ram | GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL | BT | Airport | Apple 30" Cinema HD Display Apple Powerbook AL G4: 12" | 1.5Ghz | 60b System | 1.25Gb Ram | Airport | BT Other: Airport Express | Airport Extreme | TiG4 PB 800Mhz | 20" iMac G5 w/ built in iSight | Swivel Screen iMac G4 800Mhz | iPod Mini | iPod Nano | Maxtor One Touch 250GB | Sony Ericsson T630

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2006, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by trevorM
Whilst I'm well aware of carbon fiber (my road bike was all carbon; lots of carbon components on my MTB etc) but why on earth would carbon fiber be used for laptops. I couldn't think of a more unattractive material to use.
are you joking? i think carbon is sexy, im not talking about raw carbon fiber, im talking laquered gloss finsih carbon fiber.

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2006, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by PER3
Well, about how much for one of us who are unlikely to get it for free?
in the $400-$500 range maybe, but then you could sell your aluminum casing and make money back off of that...

trevorM
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2006, 04:10 AM

are you joking? i think carbon is sexy, im not talking about raw carbon fiber, im talking laquered gloss finsih carbon fiber.
No I am not joking. Indeed, I have plenty of carbon fibre (Mountain and Road Bike frame and parts) products.

My point is not with regards to the aesthetics of it, but ultimately the practicality of it on a laptop (ie it is impractical).

If we have carbon laptops we will have a heat dissipation issue. This will give rise to bigger fan or constant need for fan and more heatsinks which in turn requires more space and battery power.
Apple Powermac G5: Dual 1.85GHz | 80Gb System | 3Gb Ram | GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL | BT | Airport | Apple 30" Cinema HD Display Apple Powerbook AL G4: 12" | 1.5Ghz | 60b System | 1.25Gb Ram | Airport | BT Other: Airport Express | Airport Extreme | TiG4 PB 800Mhz | 20" iMac G5 w/ built in iSight | Swivel Screen iMac G4 800Mhz | iPod Mini | iPod Nano | Maxtor One Touch 250GB | Sony Ericsson T630

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2006, 04:33 AM

Apple's going out of business 4 or 5 times between now and then.

ImpulseResponse

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 3, 2006, 02:40 PM

Most will underestimate unforseen advances in technology; laptops will use half the energy they use now and battery life will double. Cases will certainly be thinner. The heat/whine/RSD problems that caused us to pull our hair out will be a thing of the past. Built in HSDPA/EVDO Rev "?" or better will be the norm in most laptops, and 13" screens will be the most popular. BlueRay sure. Maybe carbon fiber, but also possibly aluminum of different colors, including black (not painted), what's the word, iodized? There will also be a mass movement toward Macbooks/MBPs when people know they are more dependable and don't whine, overheat or have RSD's. The Windows only PC laptop will begin it's march into infamy and Apple will take it's rightful place as a leader in world technology, and we will finally have the perfect laptop as there will be double the variety from Apple. We will bless Steve Jobs in our hearts, our eyes always set to the ends of the earth as we wait for those golden words "One More Thing..."

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2006, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
Unless you were actually one of the guys programming assembly, chip-architecture nostalgia is just utterly lame.
Thank you, finally someone with a lick of sense in 'em.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 3, 2006, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by buddy1065
but also possibly aluminum of different colors, including black (not painted), what's the word, iodized?
Anodized.

Forum Links
Forum Rules