Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > SETI Server down?

SETI Server down?
beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 3, 2005, 11:55 AM

Anyone else having trouble contacting SETI@home this morning? I've been trying since 0500 PST, and it's now almost 0800 - scheduler not responding, web site can't be contacted...

beadman

beadman  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 3, 2005, 12:16 PM

Never mind...checked again and the home pages says: "Our database is temporarily offline. Many website functions are not available. Please try again later"

Hope I don't run out of WU before they come back up...Not a big deal, really, as I'm also running CPDN...but I hate to have BOINC/SETI "deferring communications for 27 day, 3 hours, 17 minutes."

beadman

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2005, 10:44 PM

From the Seti page:
February 3, 2005 - 23:30 UTC
Around 12:40 UTC today the BOINC database server didn't crash as much as hang there doing nothing, spinning on hundreds of threads (and prohibiting any new connections). After hours of troubleshooting we had to kill it ungracefully which resulted in several hours of rebooting and recovery. Eventually, we were able to get back on line with (seemingly) everything intact.

There remains two outstanding issues, though. The current database continues to produce heavy I/O for no obvious reason, and we still need to migrate it all the data to the new server (this task is slated for this upcoming Monday).

Sebastian
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2005, 11:52 AM

I've not been able to get a SETI WU for about 3 days now (don't recall the error - 600 perhaps? can't connect to server).

Sebastian
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2005, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by Sebastian:
I've not been able to get a SETI WU for about 3 days now (don't recall the error - 600 perhaps? can't connect to server).
edit - not running boinc, good 'ol fashioned seti on x. want to hit the 5000 mark before i switch 8-)

reader50
Administrator
Feb 24, 2005, 02:11 PM

I noticed this last night

http://setiathome2.ssl.berkeley.edu/sstatus.html

Data Server Status
The data server process is not running

macintologist
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2005, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by reader50:
I noticed this last night

http://setiathome2.ssl.berkeley.edu/sstatus.html
Bump. Still nothing....

When are they coming back online?

mikkyo
Senior User
Mar 7, 2005, 03:53 PM

This is and has always been one of the major complaints about Seti.
I hope all your crunchers are also attached to Predictor or another boinc project so they are all at least getting work.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 7, 2005, 03:58 PM

March 1, 2005
Power Outage Update: Since the cause of the random power outages is still unknown, we are leaving the data server off during the evenings (users will not get workunits/send results at that time, and various web site facilities will not operate correctly). We can handle power outages during the day while we're at the lab, and are working towards a better system to handle outages at night. Meanwhile, campus is trying to diagnose and fix the problem (which effects the entire building - not just us).

and we're going to be out for the entire weekend:

March 5, 2005
Power Outage Update: The data server is down for the weekend. The power in the building is still not trustworthy and our graceful shutdown procedures are not yet working. There will probably be a power outage next week so that campus can track this down.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 8, 2005, 02:26 AM

Looks like it is back up. At least, the stats functions are working again, for the first time in a week.

From the SETI web site:
March 7, 2005
Power Outage Update: The data server is currently up but very busy.

DrBoar
Senior User
Mar 8, 2005, 08:19 AM

Yes, SETI classic seems to work again.
I just got my hand on two 8200/120 and one 8500/180, time to add some serious folding power

Forum Links
Forum Rules