Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Can't send mail from my work POP account

Can't send mail from my work POP account
ahollywoodcraig
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2007, 08:48 PM

Hey hope someone can help me out with this.

I have a separate account for my work email. my problem is that when I hit send it prompts me with a message saying it cannot send message using my smtp server it also says that the server response was: sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts.

this is all from a macbook 2ghz and it has previously worked, but as of late the above problem is what occurs
Any help would be awesome and if you need more details let me know

thanks in advance

Craig
http://www.purevolume.com/ahollywoodlegend
Check it out. You won't regret it.

iranfromthezoo
Senior User
Aug 14, 2007, 09:16 PM

have you updated recently? I had recently updated my iMac and the same thing happened. I had to call Applecare and they said they`ve been getting a lot of calls on that. Our solution was to completely remove the preferences folder from the library and then restart and re-do Mail.

ahollywoodcraig  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2007, 09:36 PM

delete the entire preferences folder or just some specific item? How will this affect my other apps? also is it system library or user library?

Thanks for the help

Craig

iranfromthezoo
Senior User
Aug 14, 2007, 09:43 PM

I had to delete the entire library. It reset my entire system prefs. It's the user library.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2007, 09:53 PM

If you are getting a server response from an SMTP server such as a domain not being in the relay list, there is absolutely nothing you can do on the client side that will change this, so don't bother.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 14, 2007, 09:58 PM

A number of ISPs (as an example) block the use of port 25 for anything but their own domain. My own is one of them. Fortunately, many other mail providers acknowledge this and provide for alternate ports. Check the support for the service you're trying to use and see if they offer an alternate port.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ahollywoodcraig  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2007, 10:07 PM

ghporter,

I am using my email account provided to me by my work and I am only trying to email other employees on the server. Please explain to me how to go about doing what you said

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2007, 10:09 PM

ahollywoodcraig: sounds to me like a misconfigured mail client to me, or possibly a change on the server. I'd work with your email provider on this. Frankly, I don't think you'll find much help here, unfortunately.

Forum Links
Forum Rules