Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Is my ibook hard drive failing?

Is my ibook hard drive failing?
MAC365
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2011, 03:37 AM

hi. im a bit worried as i think my hard drive is failing, but im not sure what i should do. just wondering what others thought.

what happened was, i was listening to music on itunes yesterday, and it suddenly stopped playing. i looked at the dock, and itunes had quit, so i clicked the app but it wouldnt launch, and no other app would start either. so i restarted the ibook. however, it just showed a blinking question mark icon - no startup disk!

argggg.

and on starting from the cd, i couldnt even find my startup disk in disk utility to check its status or repair it. so i naturally thought my hard drive was dead and i had lost my data. i powered off the ibook.

but this is when it gets really weird. when i started again from the power button, just to check it really was dead, the ibook started normally and has run normally for a few hours - no glitches or noises from the drive or any sign of impending doom. its SMART status is also 'verified' and no problems were reported on a verification of disk run.

i only fitted a replacement drive under a year ago. i right game that was, so im a bit disappointed this one might me on its last legs as well.

but that showed very obvious, and increasingly bad signs of failure for weeks before it finally gave up. this one has been absolutely fine up till now

im hoping its just some sort of software glitch, or even a very rare hardware issue that might never happen again. what do you think?

btw, this is on an ibook 1ghz, running 10.4.11. cheers

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2011, 04:49 AM

I'm sorry to say that your hopes are unrealistic. A maor problem like this is not a small, rare glitch, and it will happen again. Make sure you have a backup of that drive and prepare to replace it.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

MAC365  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2011, 04:54 AM

thanks for the warning, ive taken your advice; backed up what stuff i have, so i can use the laptop with impunity until it dies.

i'll post an update if the HD eventually fails. it has been fine since the problem although its most likely early stages of failure that will accelerate. my last hd also took a long time to die, although the symptoms were far more obvious from the start - some kind of bearing failure as it made a weird noise when the ibook was tilted.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2011, 08:54 AM

You can replace the iBook hard drive for cheap. It's a big pain, but I was able to do it with ours.

BTW, Leopard 10.5.8 runs just fine on our iBook 1.07.

MAC365  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2011, 09:52 AM

yes its a pain, takes several hours.

ive already done it on this white ibook, and i replaced hds several times on a clamshell ibook. they should have designed the ibook like the titanium powerbooks - hd simply reached by removing the bottom cover - nice and simple.

Forum Links
Forum Rules