Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > HELP!! PowerMac 9500: Startup screen not kicking in...

HELP!! PowerMac 9500: Startup screen not kicking in...
pmbpro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2002, 11:31 PM

I hope someone here can help me out with this problem. I have NEVER heard of this happening before...Here are the specs of my machine:

- PowerMac 9500 with Sonnet G4/450Mhz processor upgrade
- 768MB RAM (6 128MB EDO DIMMs interleaved)
- 2 Gig Startup drive (came with machine but will be replaced very soon)
- 9 GIG LaCie drive (added on)
- original ATI Exclaim 3D card (came with machine and used with smaller 2nd Apple monitor)
- ATI Rage Orion 128 card (added on and used with main monitor -Optiquest)
- Asante Ethernet card (added on)
- Lava USB card (added on)
I had just got this set of RAM, replacing old original ones (96MB) and this problem started:

When I start up my machine with the power button on the keyboard, my monitors come on, but the startup screen doesn't come up and the hard drive doesn't continue to spin/startup. I had this problem with a first batch too (that 1st batch made Photoshop and TechTool freeze up as well, so I got a replacement batch...I still have this startup problem).

It seems like if I shut the machine down completely and it's off for a minimum of 15 minutes (this happened after being off overnight too) and then starting up perssing the power button on the keyboard, the problem happens. If it's off for a shorter moment and then I start it up immediately, everything is okay.

Have any of you heard of this?? It happens after the machine is off and cooled down. I don't get it.

To get around it, I would have to warm boot the machine when it starts up and the monitors are still black and it kicks in right away. I don't want to have to do this every time I start up. I should be able to walk away after pressing that power button, knowing that it's starting up...

I had put my old RAM back in, and it was okay. I took out the addon cards mentioned above (except the video ones) and it was okay. It looks obvious that it may be the RAM, but the Syatem Profiler or techtool didn't show any problems and I ran tests with the video too. Does anyine think it's the EDO aspect of the RAM that's doing it? It's not like I mixed the 2 types of RAM or anything, so I didn't think that would have made a difference...

Is my hard drive so slow that it's no longer starting up fast enough with this RAM?? I hope it's not my Sonnet G4 card either. If anyone has suggestions, please help. Thanks.

PMB
_ _ __________ _ _
"If you never get scared - if you never lay it on the line - you never get a shot at all the credit or all the blame." - (Kate Jackson, 1978)

Ra
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2002, 01:50 AM

I had a problem like that with a 7300 and a Newr 500Mhz upgrade. The problem was as follows: The computer would start, the drive would spin for a short period then stop, the monitor's power light would flash the green "power" light, then it would go to orange and stay that way. The monitor would not turn on. I asked lots of questions about this problem and the answers were as follows:

1. Zap the PRAM
2. Or, press and hold the CUDA button for about 30 seconds
3. Or, remove the battery for 30 minutes, then reinstall it

Nothing worked, so I reinstalled the original processor that came with the machine and this one worked fine. You may want to reinstall the original processor (don't forget to reinstall the cache memory if you had it removed for the Sonnet upgrade). Also, press and hold the CUDA button in accordance to the instructions in the Sonnet's manual.

It seems that the Newr upgrade I had bit the dust. I have been using a Sonnet upgrade since. The CUDA button in my computer is located immediately below the upgrade card.

The instructions on how to reset the PRAM is in the owner's manual. Follow the instructions in the manual, specially the part on "starting with the Extensions off" and later dragging the "Display Preferences" (in the Preferences Folder)to the trash.

BillyB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2002, 08:51 AM

Have you tried disabling the Startup Memory Tests in the Memory Control Panel? (Hold down the cmd-option keys while opening, to present this otherwise hidden feature.) This works on OS 9.0.4... I'm not sure what other OS versions it works with.
--"When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete."

pmbpro  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2002, 05:50 PM

That's it BillyB!! The "Startup Memory Test" option in the Memory control panel was the solution. To think I tried everything else and it boiled down to this?? Actually, I'm VERY grateful that's all it was...

I'm so happy about how fast my 9500 is. It's faster than my friend's *original* G4 at her work!!

Thank you "BillyB" and "Ra" for your suggestions and quick responses. I really appereciate it. That was my very first post here too!

PMB
_ _ __________ _ _
"If you never get scared - if you never lay it on the line - you never get a shot at all the credit or all the blame." - (Kate Jackson, 1978)

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2002, 01:44 PM

either you didn't wait for the RAM test to complete(it can take a long time) or you still have RAM troubles.
I have an 8500 w/ 704 MB EDO also interleaved and run without the RAM test. It does start with the test enabled, it just adds a minute or two to the start-up time.
Sometimes, on a restart, the 9GB IBM UltraStar(SCSI 7200rpm) isn't recognized. It came from an IBM Server, but was free. Now I use FireWire external drives. 20GB, 25GB and 80GB.
I have seen RAM test good but show a problem with ethernet and TCP-IP settings.(7500 and 8500)
I am curious about the Asante card, the 9500 has built-in 10bT Ethernet, with both a modular and AAUI connector.

8500/G3-454/704MB/2GB, 9GB int/4MB VRAM-15"VGA/UltRez 3D 8MB-17"VGA/USB card/FireWire card/OS 9.1

Zack

Mac-Guy
Feb 18, 2002, 03:38 PM

I had the exact same problem with a PowerComputing 132 and Sonnet G3 card. Same fix.
Otis Day?? He loves us!

pmbpro  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2002, 04:34 PM

It's true about the memory test taking forever. However, I sure ain't ready to wait THAT long to get my machine going every time I boot up. At least I have the option of bypassing the test. I'm just glad it's business as usual, and I have my RAM and the Sonnet G4 card. I'm actually going to get more RAM in about a month to fill the slots.

PMB
_ _ __________ _ _

Forum Links
Forum Rules