Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Print Center is Fubared!

Print Center is Fubared!
Dan Szwarc
Senior User
Jan 3, 2002, 11:37 PM

OK, so-called OS Xperts,

Updated: See below.

I have been trying to change the default printer back to my Canon S600 after using my bros HPDeskJet 9XX. It won't set it back.

In fact, it gives me a message, "Print center's list of printers doesn't match your printer queues. Some printers have been deleted or added." Then is unexpectedly quits.

Is there some way to reset what printers are installed? I usually have no printers attached and then plug in the USB to print when I need to (no hub).

Can I trash preferences for print center? Where are they located?

[ 01-26-2002: Message edited by: Dan Szwarc ]
Dan
"I guarantee that I am correct."
(not a guarantee)

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2002, 12:14 PM

Home/Library/Preferences/com.apple.print.PrintCenter.plist

Dan Szwarc  (op)
Senior User
Jan 5, 2002, 10:41 AM

Didn't work. Same problem. It says it updated the printer list then unexpectedly quits.

Any other suggestions?
Dan
(not a guarantee)

Dan Szwarc  (op)
Senior User
Jan 26, 2002, 06:50 PM

OK, I may have trashed one file too many, but here's what happens.

Open printer Center, go to add printer, select my S600 from the USB list and I get a -108 Error (Unknown error).

What the F*ck should I do now? I have tried reinstalling the Canon drivers (don't work). I have deleted every printer preference from the machine. I have lost all ability to print from X except through classic.

Ironically, the print utilities detect the printer and it prints test pages and does the head cleaning fine. It's print Center that is f*cked up!

Apple, you suck!
Dan
(not a guarantee)

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2002, 07:39 PM

Mmmm... Time for a clean re-install!

Dan Szwarc  (op)
Senior User
Jan 26, 2002, 11:42 PM

A reinstall is what I've been preparing for. Except, I have to reformat, reinstall 10.1, then either get the 10.1.2 update from Apple and install that or wait for many downloaded reinstalls! Ugh!!! Why can't I just reinstall the print center??
Dan
(not a guarantee)

Scrod
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2002, 12:41 AM

No! You don't have to do a clean install! It's not too late! The only thing you have to do is fix the permissions on the executables in your Print Center.app!

Here's a story that I submitted to macosxhints.com on how to fix it: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...11103221438198
I abused my signature until she cried.

Dan Szwarc  (op)
Senior User
Jan 27, 2002, 09:29 AM

I followed the instructions exactly and it didn't work. I even logged off. I'm gonna try rebooting.

I still get the "-108" error, but now Print Center is smart enough to tell me "You don't have any printers installed. Would you like to add one now?" (something it didn't do before).

Any MORE clues? There must be rights issues somewhere else! I'm not a Unix person so these commands are pretty much greek to me.

I'm in over my head here...

[ 01-27-2002: Message edited by: Dan Szwarc ]
Dan
(not a guarantee)

Dan Szwarc  (op)
Senior User
Jan 27, 2002, 11:38 AM

I did it! After a little reading, I realized if I could try to add printers as "root" I could probably get it to work.

Well, I couldn't figure out how to log in as root, or enable the root account, but I found a program called "Pseudo" that basically allows you to run any app as root. I installed it, dropped print center onto it and it worked! I can now print from X again!!

Thanks Scrod!
Dan
(not a guarantee)

nibeck
Forum Regular
Jan 27, 2002, 05:46 PM

Glad to hear that things are working, but the fact that you had to have root persmissions points to some other problem. You should have no problem using your normal account, as long as it has admin right on the machine. My hunch us that there are still some permissions wrong at the OS level. Again, glad to hear that things are working, but you might run into some other problems in the future.

- Mike

Dan Szwarc  (op)
Senior User
Jan 27, 2002, 07:24 PM

Oh, I fully expect to have to use Pseudo again to add another printer, or possibly make changes to the printer setup, but now I know why.

If you read Scrod's tip on MacOSXhints.com, you see that it's the HP printer drivers that f*ck up the permissions. HP doesn't know how to write for X yet.

I am getting a new mac as soon as Apple announces them (c'mon 1GHz base G4s!!!) so I will end up with a clean system soon.
Dan
(not a guarantee)

Forum Links
Forum Rules