Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > 16x9 CRTs, Cinema Display, and you...

16x9 CRTs, Cinema Display, and you...
Dan Szwarc
Senior User
Jan 30, 2002, 08:18 AM

I'm considering buying a cinema display with my new G4 to take advantage of the $500 rebate, but I have a dilemma.

I don't think that the resolution of the display is that high. 1600x1024 is kinda pathetic for a display that big. The other problem I am concerned about is the pixel aspcet ratio. The Cinema Display is a 16x9 display, right? That's 1.78:1. Well, if you do the math, 1600x1024 is only 1.56:1 which means the pixels aren't square. They are close, but not quite. Does anyone have a problem viewing digital pictures on this thing? Wouldn't video and all be distorted or does the computer compensate for the aspect ratio (thus sacrificing true picture resolution) and "resize" everything on the fly?

Another question is concerning alternatives to the CD. Sony makes a 16x10 nearly flat CRT, the 22.5" GDM-FW900. It's an all analog (no DVI port) CRT with a USB hub built in. The specs show the resolution as as everything from 640x480 to 2304x1440. It lists one resolution (1920x1080@72Hz) as the "MAcintosh G4" resolution. Does that mean that it only supports that res for macs? It comes with a Mac adapter which I think means I could use it with my old 7300 (if I really wanted to...not!).

Has anyone used this display, seen this display, heard about it? I'm interested in a 16xsomething monitor but unless I go with Apple's, I might be buying something that dosn't work with my new mac. The Sony lists for only $2000 and I can get it for about $1800. Are there any other 16x9 monitors out there, LCD or CRT?

Thanks for all help.

PS: Pismo for sale here.
Dan
"I guarantee that I am correct."
(not a guarantee)

Forum Links
Forum Rules