Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > PCI FW Card: What OS?

PCI FW Card: What OS?
Dan Szwarc
Senior User
Dec 28, 2001, 05:13 PM

I've got a 7300/200 running OS8.6 with 160MB of RAM.
My wife's Sawtooth G4 doesn't want to work with our FW burner. (I think her FW ports are fried or something).

Can I run a FW burner using Toast 4.1 and OS8.6 or do I need OS9/9.1?

Regardless, what is a good FW card to get that works and isn't too expensive?
Dan
"I guarantee that I am correct."
(not a guarantee)

BTP
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2001, 02:13 AM

Dan,

I think you might find some good information on Xlr8yourmac. For me, I got lucky and bought a cheap 2-port FW card for $20 on Ebay. To work on a Mac certain chipsets will work, I got lucky and I don't recall the brand. (Sorry).

I think that you can get the info you need at Xlr8yourmac. If I were anywhere near the card, I'd tell you more about it.
A lie can go halfway around the world before the truth even gets its boots on. - Mark Twain

Dan Szwarc  (op)
Senior User
Dec 31, 2001, 09:59 AM

According to most mac cards I've found (some are really expensive), OS 8.6 is the minimum (that's what I've got).

$20 is a fair price for a 1394 card. I just missed a CompUSA sale at that price (according to dealmac.com). I will continue to look.

Thanks.
Dan
"I guarantee that I am correct."
(not a guarantee)

BTP
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2002, 03:02 PM

Dan,

I just remembered that the card I bought had a Lucent chipset, which is said to be the most compatible on the market. That might also help you in your search.
A lie can go halfway around the world before the truth even gets its boots on. - Mark Twain

Forum Links
Forum Rules