Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.14 - Making SMB shares persist between network disconnects

10.14 - Making SMB shares persist between network disconnects
shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2022, 02:20 PM

Is there a way to make SMB shares persist regardless of network connectivity in 10.14, or am I better off just making aliases for the shares I care about and using those? Seems a little kludgy.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 13, 2022, 05:05 PM

My impression is a network mount that's not in use when you go to sleep, will quietly reestablish in the background when you wake up. ie - the mounted volume will only vanish if it can't reestablish, or if you try to use it before it reconnects. I haven't tested it recently though.

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2022, 07:38 PM

That's kind of what I remember with my MBP (which I admit has remained unused for months). This early 2015 11" MBA seems to lag like a mofo on the network after waking from sleep.

Like, just now I woke it up to do things, and it took way too long before I could load anything in Edge.

I think that might be interfering with my SMB connections.

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2023, 12:04 PM

Bumping this.

My 11" MBA is constantly failing to preserve network share connections after coming out of standby, because it sometimes takes awhile (like 30 seconds to a full minute) for the network to reconnect.

Once the share auto-disappears, it takes any pinned folders with it, so I can't even favorite stuff in the Finder sidebar.

Forum Links
Forum Rules