Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Need miniDV buying advice

Need miniDV buying advice
corp miler
Jan 6, 2005, 06:06 PM

I have a 4 year old Sony miniDV camera ($1200 new in �00) and a Olympus Stylist 3MP still camera. I�m having humidity problems with the Sony where I didn�t before and wouldn�t you know, the extended warranty just ended! I�d like to get a camcorder that does both video and stills so I only need to carry one. I�m hoping you can offer suggestions.

I just bought the Olympus and can return it. With that, I�d like to stay under $1000 � the more under the better. I don�t need any extra editing features since I do that through iMovie or Photoshop � just the highest quality video/stills for the money.

I�d like something that will print 5 x 7�s with a good quality, but my main consern is video. I have a dedicated home theater with a 1280 x 720 projector and you can really tell a difference. I would like a camcorder that is fairly easy to use as a still camera and who�s still funtions aren�t after thoughs. The Sony I own (when it works) has a pretty good picture but I used a friend�s brand new $700 Sony and the colors were more acturate. I don�t love Sony, especially NOW, but would consider them.

I�ve read a little about 3 CCD�s but honestly I don�t know if that is just a sales pitch.

Also I�d prefer to shoot in 16:9, but that isn�t a big issue. My Sony�s 16:9 again seems to be an after thought. In widescreen mode it cuts off the top and bottom of the picture rather than adding more to the sides. When you shoot in the 16:9 ratio, the camera�s focal range makes everything way too close. Plus when I play video back on a 16:9 TV it doesn�t fill the screen � I have to use the �zoom� on the TV to fill the screen (perhaps this is true with all cameras). That makes me think the camera isn�t reallocating the pixels to just the image but also the black bars.

Thanks for your help.

wvx
Forum Regular
Jan 6, 2005, 11:22 PM

I'm going to take a Panasonic GS200 for a test drive soon... they have them at Circuit City which gives 14 day no questions asked returns if you don't like it, which is great for trying to find the right camcorder, but I've read so many good things about it.

I'm looking to replace a sony Digital8 which has always had problems with skin color and low light... and it's almost 5 years old. The 16:9 on consumer camcorders is pretty worthless. Only the high end dedicated 16:9 camcorders really work properly and offer acceptable quality.

Some 3 chip camcorders are great and some aren't.

I looked at a GS200 this week at Circuit City and it feels really nice, high quality, but I want to try it out for a few weeks to really see if it is what I want...

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...c-PV-GS200.htm

mikellanes
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2005, 03:53 PM

The panasonic PV-DV953 can be had for around $1200 or so.

I would go with a 3 chip CCD if you can, better color, very obvious over even the best 1 ccd cameras.

the PV-DV953 does native 16:9 and shoots 3MP digital stills.

I would check it out.

In all actuality, I you can spend around $2000 I would get the canon GL2 and step up to a higher end camera, if you must stay at $1000 look at the PV-DV953
"To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men."
- A Lincoln

Forum Links
Forum Rules