Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Non iPod MP3 Player

Non iPod MP3 Player
nibeck
Forum Regular
Jun 11, 2002, 07:50 AM

Just got a 10GB iPod and LOVE it. My wife is now hooked as well, but she only needs one for when she works out. I'm looking for a very small capacity MP3 player that will connect to the Mac for transfers. Looking for under $100 any ideas?

- Mike

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2002, 09:39 AM

Hey Mike,
You should now be able to find a plethora of MP3 players for under a hundred bucks... We found the Rio One player for around $89, and it works quite well and takes smartmedia cards (which are farely inexpensive). You should take a look at CNET's MP3 section. They have a good selection of reviews (the best part of the reviews are the user reviews on a product), and they also link to the best pricing... <a href="http://www.cnet.com/electronics/0-6342420-8-19999655-1.html?tag=sd" target="_blank">http://www.cnet.com/electronics/0-6342420-8-19999655-1.html?tag=sd</a>
They even have an MP3 personality test which purportedly matches you to a potential MP3 player.
regards,
dave

jtc
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2002, 11:59 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by nibeck:
<strong>Just got a 10GB iPod and LOVE it. My wife is now hooked as well, but she only needs one for when she works out. I'm looking for a very small capacity MP3 player that will connect to the Mac for transfers. Looking for under $100 any ideas?

- Mike</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">The nomad IIc is a great mp3 player. It also has a mic for recording (useful for taking notes, etc). I've owned a couple of rios, and a CD mp3 player - the nomad is much better than either of those.

talisker
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2002, 12:55 AM

I too fancy the idea of a small, light, cheap solid state MP3 player for the gym etc, but what I'd really miss compared to iPod would be the ability to play random songs from hundreds of albums. A great app. would be one that, each time you connected your player to the computer, randomly selected an hour or two's worth of songs from your hard drive and dumped them onto your player. Dont suppose anything like this exists?

Mizuymikal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2002, 10:33 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by jtc:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by nibeck:
<strong>Just got a 10GB iPod and LOVE it. My wife is now hooked as well, but she only needs one for when she works out. I'm looking for a very small capacity MP3 player that will connect to the Mac for transfers. Looking for under $100 any ideas?

- Mike</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">The nomad IIc is a great mp3 player. It also has a mic for recording (useful for taking notes, etc). I've owned a couple of rios, and a CD mp3 player - the nomad is much better than either of those.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I also have the Nomad IIc that I use while working out and I love it. Adding more memory would be my only additional recommendation.
El gato
600 MHz iMac 512M OS X 10.1.5/ OS 9.2.2

Disco Stu 131
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2002, 09:50 PM

hey, im in the same boat, wanna get fairly inexpensive solid state player for walks ect. . . Has anyone tried out the Irock! 520 player? anyone know if it will work with itunes?

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2002, 10:38 PM

it won't snyc with iTunes if that's what you mean.
Nothing but the iPod to my knowelege can sorry

But you can put files on it yourself I'm sure.

Disco Stu 131
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2002, 11:32 PM

are you sure it wont sync with itunes? ive seen a Rio player work with itunes, i mean show up as a device on the left. . . . Will any mp3 player work with OS X? do they just show up as removable drives?

Forum Links
Forum Rules