Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Car Talk

Car Talk (Page 5)
Thread Tools
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 4, 2016, 04:45 PM
 
All this time rotaries may have been running upside-down: Mazda Rotary Turbos: Were All Those RX Motors Just Upside Down? - Motor Trend

So the gist is: the reliability, emissions, and efficiency issues that rotaries have been plagued with likely could have come from them not being oriented "correctly". Personally, I love them. I have a SII Cosmo and both FB and FD RX-7s, and they're such rev-happy little engines, there's nothing else like them. Most V engines have always felt wrong to me. However, if you're a person who dislikes the repair shop, they're absolutely not the right cars for you.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 4, 2016, 04:49 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
She saw a CX-3, and now wants to take out a loan.

We officially have mission creep.
No loans. She'll hate having a crossover, I'm convinced they're only for people who despise driving and have given up on life.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 4, 2016, 05:33 PM
 
Well, she thinks it's cyoot.

I'm more against the idea of buying new. That seems like a waste of money.

Of course, my situation was an exception.
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 4, 2016, 06:28 PM
 
Originally Posted by Cap'n Tiuhtpants View Post
Wants a GTI
No.

Originally Posted by subego View Post
She likes the Golf GTI she's driven
And

shops manuals,
That's the second time you've messed that up. Let me quote it for you again.

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Edit: and yes... she drives a stick.
Again, that's the second time I've had to quote subego's statement.

she IS a car enthusiast.
I guess for you, enthusiast = liked a GTI one time. In context, it's pretty obvious what I meant, but I forgot how much trouble you have keeping up with the simplest trains of thought. I mean, it's not like you'd purposely misrepresent what someone said in order to win an internet argument, right?
     
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 4, 2016, 08:18 PM
 
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
No.
And
That's the second time you've messed that up. Let me quote it for you again.
Again, that's the second time I've had to quote subego's statement.
I guess for you, enthusiast = liked a GTI one time.
Pedant. But then, you don't have much else, do you?

In context, it's pretty obvious what I meant, but I forgot how much trouble you have keeping up with the simplest trains of thought. I mean, it's not like you'd purposely misrepresent what someone said in order to win an internet argument, right?
Most of the time I doubt you even know what you mean, you can't even follow the flow of the conversation.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Rock
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 4, 2016, 08:33 PM
 
Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
No loans. She'll hate having a crossover, I'm convinced they're only for people who despise driving and have given up on life.
Why would she hate having a crossover? Aren't they huge sales drivers for every competitive manufacturer? They sell like hot cakes. People love them.

We have a Subaru Forester and think it's a great car. Will likely replace it with a CR-V when the lease runs up, only because I don't need the extra ground clearance of the Forester in the city.

Sure it doesn't drive like my Accord, but I can't stuff a bunch of supplies to the roof for an epic road trip in the Accord. Ours has been down a few country roads that wouldn't be an option with a car. And it's much higher and you can see over the noses of other vehicles, which is handy in city traffic, and it's easier to get in and out of.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.
     
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 5, 2016, 01:02 AM
 
Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Why would she hate having a crossover? Aren't they huge sales drivers for every competitive manufacturer? They sell like hot cakes. People love them.
"Love"? Doubtful. Since she likes cars that handle well, there's little doubt in my mind the cute (or "cyoot") factor would wear off quickly.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 5, 2016, 11:47 AM
 
Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
No loans. She'll hate having a crossover, I'm convinced they're only for people who despise driving and have given up on life.
Find me a vehicle:

- V6
Turbo-4 means higher complexity, higher engine stresses, and additional points of failure. I would also accept a V8
- >3500lbs towing
3500lbs means I can tow a trailer with two motorcycles or the M3 on a dolly.
- FWD
AWD means taking a weight, performance, and gas mileage hit for literally zero benefits. Unless you're trying to plow through 2+ feet of snow, FWD+snow tires is more than enough
- Comfortable seating for 4-5 adults, two rows of seats only
Third row would go unused 99.9% of the time and add weight, take up cargo space, or sit in the garage
- Reasonable 0-60, in the 7s.
My house is right near a busy 55mph road. Gotta be able to catch that gap.
Can a non-crossover do all of these things?
( Last edited by Laminar; Apr 5, 2016 at 12:23 PM. )
     
P
Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 5, 2016, 01:03 PM
 
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Find me a vehicle:

- V6

- >3500lbs towing

- FWD

- Comfortable seating for 4-5 adults, two rows of seats only

- Reasonable 0-60, in the 7s.


Can a non-crossover do all of these things?
Just about any big European station wagon can. Since I happen to know Volvos, I know that the V70 (the outgoing model) satisfies all of these, but I'm sure you can find an Audi or Merc that does the same. Minor warning that naturally aspirated engines appear to be dying out, but you can probably still get one if you really don't want a turbo.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 5, 2016, 02:18 PM
 
Originally Posted by P View Post
Just about any big European station wagon can. Since I happen to know Volvos, I know that the V70 (the outgoing model) satisfies all of these, but I'm sure you can find an Audi or Merc that does the same. Minor warning that naturally aspirated engines appear to be dying out, but you can probably still get one if you really don't want a turbo.
V70 is rated at 3300lbs towing, which is probably close enough. Note that US tow ratings are different from Europe due to higher speeds and higher tongue weights in the US.

The XC70 is closest and is rated at 3500lbs, though it has 6" less legroom in the rear than a Ford Edge. I can have the driver's seat all the way back and my 6'7" BIL is comfortable behind me. Remove 6" of legroom and you've gone from first class to economy. According to TrueDelta, for the past few years the Volvo generally has more repair trips than the Edge, and Edmunds estimates 50% higher maintenance costs and 150% higher repair costs for the Volvo over 5 years. If I go back to 2012-2013 when I could get a NA 6-cyl, projected maintenance and repair costs skyrocket.

BMW and Mercedes' wagons would all be RWD/AWD, Audi would be AWD. VW has nothing big enough.
     
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 5, 2016, 08:55 PM
 
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Find me a vehicle:

- V6

- >3500lbs towing

- FWD

- Comfortable seating for 4-5 adults, two rows of seats only

- Reasonable 0-60, in the 7s.


Can a non-crossover do all of these things?
Estate wagon.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Rock
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 5, 2016, 10:19 PM
 
Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
"Love"? Doubtful. Since she likes cars that handle well, there's little doubt in my mind the cute (or "cyoot") factor would wear off quickly.
I seriously doubt it. The fact is that millions of people love crossovers - that's why Mazda, Honda, Toyoto, Volkswagen etc. sell them like crazy. Furthermore, you're describing someone whose primary concern is how to find a Chicago parking spot. What does that indicate? That it seems likely that 80% or more of her driving will likely come in city traffic, where it's usually a pain in the ass to have a sporty car with a standard.

Look, I am one of the very few who bought a new standard Accord sedan. I regret it at least half the time - about 90% of my driving is stop and go city commute. I have absolutely no regrets when I can actually drive the damn car, but it's a very rare bright spot. If I had my time back, I would have ordered the (excellent) CVT option and called it a day.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.
     
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 6, 2016, 01:14 AM
 
"The fact is that millions of people love crossovers"? If true, they have a very low threshold regarding their affections and the word "love" is almost meaningless. You're confusing availability and utility for affection. She likes manual gearboxes and was shopping a GTI, it's not reaching to say she'll be disappointed before long if she buys a comparatively lumbering crossover. Furthermore, how is a ****ing crossover going to help with her parking?
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
P
Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 6, 2016, 08:20 AM
 
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
V70 is rated at 3300lbs towing, which is probably close enough. Note that US tow ratings are different from Europe due to higher speeds and higher tongue weights in the US.
Did not know that, but it makes sense, I guess.

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
The XC70 is closest and is rated at 3500lbs, though it has 6" less legroom in the rear than a Ford Edge. I can have the driver's seat all the way back and my 6'7" BIL is comfortable behind me. Remove 6" of legroom and you've gone from first class to economy. According to TrueDelta, for the past few years the Volvo generally has more repair trips than the Edge, and Edmunds estimates 50% higher maintenance costs and 150% higher repair costs for the Volvo over 5 years. If I go back to 2012-2013 when I could get a NA 6-cyl, projected maintenance and repair costs skyrocket.
XC70 is the same car as the V70, just differently set suspension and different base options (and Volvo will stop referring to those models by a completely different model name quite soon, they will get a CC suffix instead. The successor to the V70 is already announced).

The rest of it... looks like you've done research, just wanted to show that there are possibilities without going to a crossover - though I admit that wanting an NA petrol engine does limit things.

BMW and Mercedes' wagons would all be RWD/AWD, Audi would be AWD. VW has nothing big enough.
I guess they have a smaller range in the US then. Audi certainly has FWD variants of the A6. I know that VW has a different Passat in NA for whatever reason, which is why I didn't mention them.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.
     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 6, 2016, 11:36 AM
 
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
BMW and Mercedes' wagons would all be RWD/AWD, Audi would be AWD. VW has nothing big enough.
Originally Posted by P View Post
I guess they have a smaller range in the US then. Audi certainly has FWD variants of the A6. I know that VW has a different Passat in NA for whatever reason, which is why I didn't mention them.
Even in the US, the lowest available trim level on most Audi platforms is FWD.
They are just not selling many of these.

When buying used, it's very hard to find FWD Audis in the US.

-t
     
ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Rock
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 6, 2016, 12:00 PM
 
Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
"The fact is that millions of people love crossovers"? If true, they have a very low threshold regarding their affections and the word "love" is almost meaningless. You're confusing availability and utility for affection.
Point taken, but we don't need to debate semantics here. Whether you want to use "like" or "love", anyone with the ability to make a choice (or not running a business) does not buy a vehicle simply because "it was available and it suited my needs". They go to dealership(s), they test drive several different cars, and they invariably pick the one they like the best that meets their needs. I happen to "really like" my particular Accord.....and if someone asked me about it I'd probably say "I love it". But okay, I'm not being literal or about to marry it.

She likes manual gearboxes
Did we confirm that? Or just that she can drive a stick? I feel you are doing a good deal of projecting on this point. As I mentioned, I love stick as well - but that didn't mean it was the right choice for my car.

and was shopping a GTI,
...and the MX-3, right? You appear to be ignoring the fact that your own response was to her seeing a MX-3 and wanting to take out a loan to buy one.

Again, back to my comment on projecting: your response to that is "oh she wouldn't like it." My response is "oh she appears to like it, because she really wants to buy it."

Your comments here seem to be directed at what you would like to do. Not really what might be the best choice for sub's friend.

it's not reaching to say she'll be disappointed before long if she buys a comparatively lumbering crossover. Furthermore, how is a ****ing crossover going to help with her parking?
I'm not sure where you got that from. I specifically didn't say it would help with parking - although I will point out that the rear backup cameras standard on most of them certainly help most people parking in tight spaces. I think unless she's getting a subcompact, most of these vehicles have similar parking capabilities.

I said a crossover would be better to drive in city traffic: a higher line of sight, more comfortable ride, and likely a smooth CVT mated to a relatively fuel-efficient engine.

We don't know how much of her driving is in city traffic: as I said, I was assuming "a lot" based on sub's comments.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.
     
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 6, 2016, 12:01 PM
 
I should note that "plowing through two feet of snow" is known here as "getting out of your parking space".
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 6, 2016, 12:14 PM
 
Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Estate wagon.
     
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 6, 2016, 12:22 PM
 
Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Point taken, but we don't need to debate semantics here
Then don't make them part of your argument.

Did we confirm that? Or just that she can drive a stick? I feel you are doing a good deal of projecting on this point. As I mentioned, I love stick as well - but that didn't mean it was the right choice for my car.
Yes, we confirmed that.

...and the MX-3, right? You appear to be ignoring the fact that your own response was to her seeing a MX-3 and wanting to take out a loan to buy one.

Again, back to my comment on projecting: your response to that is "oh she wouldn't like it." My response is "oh she appears to like it, because she really wants to buy it."
She thought it was cute, not that it drove well. Big difference.

Your comments here seem to be directed at what you would like to do. Not really what might be the best choice for sub's friend.
Of course, because I've driven a lot of cars and frequently offer recommendations on them.

I'm not sure where you got that from. I specifically didn't say it would help with parking - although I will point out that the rear backup cameras standard on most of them certainly help most people parking in tight spaces. I think unless she's getting a subcompact, most of these vehicles have similar parking capabilities.
They really don't. Small hatches are the kings of urban parking. As I said before, I can park my 500 Abarth in many motorcycle slots.

I said a crossover would be better to drive in city traffic: a higher line of sight, more comfortable ride, and likely a smooth CVT mated to a relatively fuel-efficient engine.
If she wants a generic, boring car I doubt subego would have started this thread and she would have simply bought "vanilla car X" (a Honda or Toyota thing) without worrying about it.

We don't know how much of her driving is in city traffic: as I said, I was assuming "a lot" based on sub's comments.
Until he threw the crossover curveball, she seemed to be inching towards a hot hatch. However, now she seems unfocused and all over the place with what she wants, so I'm losing interest.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 6, 2016, 12:23 PM
 
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Whichever.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 6, 2016, 12:24 PM
 
Her being unfocused and all over the place is not a new thing.
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 6, 2016, 12:25 PM
 
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Even in the US, the lowest available trim level on most Audi platforms is FWD.
They are just not selling many of these.
The only wagon they offer in the US right now is the allroad®, which is AWD only, turbocharged only, and Audi won't even list towing capacity. Everything else is crossovers.

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I should note that "plowing through two feet of snow" is known here as "getting out of your parking space".
That's more "busting" than "plowing."
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 6, 2016, 12:26 PM
 
Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Whichever.
Name one. Just one.
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 6, 2016, 12:27 PM
 
Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
so I'm losing interest.
Please do.
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 6, 2016, 12:27 PM
 
Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
I feel you are doing a good deal of projecting on this point.
...and every point he tries to make.
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 6, 2016, 12:30 PM
 
Originally Posted by P View Post
XC70 is the same car as the V70, just differently set suspension and different base options (and Volvo will stop referring to those models by a completely different model name quite soon, they will get a CC suffix instead. The successor to the V70 is already announced).
The V60 could actually work, minus the whole turbocharged thing.
     
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 6, 2016, 12:37 PM
 
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Please do.
Well, now I can't..

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
...and every point he tries to make.
Aww...
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 6, 2016, 12:40 PM
 
I was actually going to jokey-jokey suggest my van.

It's a 4-cylinder, but the gearing makes it (usually) V6 peppy.

You'd need to deal with 7 passengers in three rows. Oh bother.

The actual deal breaker is towing. A paltry 1,500 pounds.
     
ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Rock
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 6, 2016, 01:43 PM
 
Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Then don't make them part of your argument.
This is an idiotic point you're hammering home for no apparent reason. Are we seriously debating whether the level of affection people feel for their crossovers approaches true love?

Let me rephrase: people buy crossovers by the millions; therefore, they must enjoy them. Or are you trying to suggest that all these people buying crossovers are doing so out of hatred?

Yes, we confirmed that.
Sorry, I must have missed that. Where is it?

She thought it was cute, not that it drove well. Big difference.
The obvious answer here is that she apparently thinks "cute" may be as important as driving well, which does your argument no good. Stop ignoring that.

Of course, because I've driven a lot of cars and frequently offer recommendations on them.
So do a lot of other people. And I would suggest your advice should be taken with much salt in the $12-15k budget range and for city driving (given your expressed love for rural over urban living).

They really don't. Small hatches are the kings of urban parking. As I said before, I can park my 500 Abarth in many motorcycle slots.
You went through the trouble to bold the last half of my sentence - I would have thought that meant you at least bothered to read it? Here, let me hold the first part for you:
I think unless she's getting a subcompact, most of these vehicles have similar parking capabilities.
If she wants a generic, boring car I doubt subego would have started this thread and she would have simply bought "vanilla car X" (a Honda or Toyota thing) without worrying about it.
And yet.....he has gone out of his way to price out and test plain old Mazda 3s. This argument is hogwash. Subego has been very receptive towards all suggestions.

Until he threw the crossover curveball, she seemed to be inching towards a hot hatch. However, now she seems unfocused and all over the place with what she wants, so I'm losing interest.
Maybe she realized that she wanted a crossover after all, and not what you wanted her to buy? That appears to be why you're losing interest.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 6, 2016, 02:06 PM
 
Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Well, now I can't..
You couldn't before, either.
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 6, 2016, 02:07 PM
 
Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Estate wagon.
Or maybe a Avant Touring Shooting Brake Wagon.
     
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 6, 2016, 02:22 PM
 
Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Let me rephrase: people buy crossovers by the millions; therefore, they must enjoy them. Or are you trying to suggest that all these people buying crossovers are doing so out of hatred?
They buy them for utility, not affection. Most people don't have strong feelings for their cars.

Sorry, I must have missed that. Where is it?
In the context.

The obvious answer here is that she apparently thinks "cute" may be as important as driving well, which does your argument no good. Stop ignoring that.
There are many cars that are cute and handle quite well. If she's going to splash out for a much newer car, with payments *shudder*, the Fiat 500 Abarth is a winner for city commutes, as is the Fiesta ST, and it's very quick with peerless parking availability. (Unless you buy a Smart, and they suck.)

So do a lot of other people. And I would suggest your advice should be taken with much salt in the $12-15k budget range and for city driving (given your expressed love for rural over urban living).
I drive both in the city and country. So much for your salt.

You went through the trouble to bold the last half of my sentence - I would have thought that meant you at least bothered to read it? Here, let me hold the first part for you:
And yet.....he has gone out of his way to price out and test plain old Mazda 3s. This argument is hogwash. Subego has been very receptive towards all suggestions.
That was late in the discussion. If my arguments are hogwash yours are worse, given they've only been reactions to mine. (Common for you.)

Maybe she realized that she wanted a crossover after all, and not what you wanted her to buy? That appears to be why you're losing interest.
Maybe she did, but that was a later development, and partly why I think she's just being capricious and has no real interest in buying anything in the near future.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 6, 2016, 02:24 PM
 
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
You couldn't before, either.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 6, 2016, 02:50 PM
 
Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Sorry, I forgot my necessary reminder for you to keep up, which you clearly can't.

Try and keep up.
     
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 6, 2016, 07:12 PM
 
She is capricious, but the lack of car is really bringing her down, so I think she'll follow through... assuming she doesn't get laid off, which could happen as soon as next week. There's an unprecedented organization-wide meeting on Wednesday.

I haven't confirmed it, but I assume she's going to spring for a spot if she gets anything normal sized.

She likes a stick, but hasn't decided which she prefers.

Appearance is important to her, but her taste can be, umm...

I'd say she's at least a mild enthusiast. It's definitely about more to her than getting from A to B, otherwise she'd get a Civic and be happy.
     
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 6, 2016, 07:16 PM
 
She's also majorly depressed her brother isn't helping her out. By all rights, he should be walking her through the process and taking her on test drives (brother is definitely an enthusiast), but about 10 years ago he turned into a huge asshole. I think this adds to her unstable feelings about it.
     
ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Rock
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 6, 2016, 07:35 PM
 
Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
They buy them for utility, not affection. Most people don't have strong feelings for their cars.
Total nonsense. If that were the case, people wouldn't bother to test drive, or agonize about their decision just like this woman?. In reality, almost everyone test drives at least several vehicles for fit, and since every manufacturer makes a similar vehicle, they choose the one they like the best.

In the context.
....so you just choose to ignore my point that I also like to drive stick, but it still isn't the best choice for my stop-and-go commute. Okay then.

There are many cars that are cute and handle quite well. If she's going to splash out for a much newer car, with payments *shudder*, the Fiat 500 Abarth is a winner for city commutes, as is the Fiesta ST, and it's very quick with peerless parking availability. (Unless you buy a Smart, and they suck.)
a) There is absolutely nothing inherently wrong with financing a vehicle, as long as it's done in a smart and affordable manner. Pretending payments are somehow evil is patently silly.
b) The Abarth is a "winner for city commutes"? Are you even in the real world? It's got ungodly sight lines, you're constantly swallowed by larger hoods next to you at every intersection turn, the ride is jarring and unforgiving, the steering is heavy, fuel consumption is terrible (and doesn't it need premium gas?), it's really NOT good in snow at all, and to top it off it basically has an unusable back seat and no trunk. Oh....and it's overpriced. And I'm not sure if things have changed, but they were also in the bottom end of reliability rankings for years. Other than that......it's super fun to drive, and easy to park.

I repeat: you understand that this advice is not for you, right?

I drive both in the city and country. So much for your salt.
Haven't driven around downtown Chicago lately, though? Didn't think so.

Maybe she did, but that was a later development, and partly why I think she's just being capricious and has no real interest in buying anything in the near future.
So she apparently goes out and starts to test drive cars......and when she says she might actually like something different than what she initially thought (you know, generally viewed to be a positive result of the drive-testing process), you just think this means she's not serious, because she isn't following your recommendation? Haha.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.
     
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 6, 2016, 07:39 PM
 
She hasn't test driven anything as far as I know.

I did some test driving for shits and giggles.
     
ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Rock
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 6, 2016, 09:54 PM
 
Ahhhhh, good man. I had assumed the two of you were doing this together, and the cars you were mentioning came from her drives.

If she hasn't test driven anything at this point, then I totally agree with Shaddim that she's just kicking tires. This is a total waste of time until she actually has some skin in the game.

Let us know when she does that, would ya?
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 6, 2016, 10:11 PM
 
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
That's more "busting" than "plowing."
     
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 6, 2016, 10:44 PM
 
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Sorry, I forgot my necessary reminder for you to keep up, which you clearly can't.

Try and keep up.
Why would I answer your questions when you don't answer mine, Cheech?
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 6, 2016, 11:00 PM
 
Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Total nonsense.
Nope.

....so you just choose to ignore my point that I also like to drive stick, but it still isn't the best choice for my stop-and-go commute. Okay then.
I ignore a lot of argumentative BS you say and don't care what you like doing.

a) There is absolutely nothing inherently wrong with financing a vehicle, as long as it's done in a smart and affordable manner. Pretending payments are somehow evil is patently silly.
Paying interest is the #1 way of staying poor.

b) The Abarth is a "winner for city commutes"?
Yup, it's a great little city car, your made-up garbage notwithstanding: Fuel? 30 MPG (my typical) is fine, especially considering how quick it is. Heavy steering? No. Overpriced? Not really, the Abarth holds its value well. Are you just reading online reviews? I don't think you've ever driven one, from the sound of it.

I repeat: you understand that this advice is not for you, right?
Do you? Because now you're just arguing for the sake of it; because it's me, and because drew you into it.

Haven't driven around downtown Chicago lately, though? Didn't think so.
3 years ago.

So she apparently goes out and starts to test drive cars......and when she says she might actually like something different than what she initially thought (you know, generally viewed to be a positive result of the drive-testing process), you just think this means she's not serious, because she isn't following your recommendation? Haha.
Yep, she's not serious, not yet.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 7, 2016, 09:14 AM
 
Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Why would I answer your questions when you don't answer mine, Cheech?
You wouldn't answer my questions not because of perceived slight from me, but because you can't answer them. So instead you insult and deflect in hopes that everyone will forget that you don't know what you're talking about. We haven't. Keep up.
     
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 7, 2016, 10:27 AM
 
Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
This is a total waste of time until she actually has some skin in the game.
So, once she's figured out exactly what car she wants... then come to the forum for advice for what cars to look into.
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 7, 2016, 10:43 AM
 
I trust this thread has exceeded your expectations.
     
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 7, 2016, 01:29 PM
 
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
You wouldn't answer my questions not because of perceived slight from me, but because you can't answer them. So instead you insult and deflect in hopes that everyone will forget that you don't know what you're talking about. We haven't. Keep up.
There's nothing to keep up with, you're under the delusion that you're going somewhere. Being uncooperative isn't the same as deflecting, Cheech.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 7, 2016, 01:53 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
So, once she's figured out exactly what car she wants... then come to the forum for advice for what cars to look into.
Some good questions to ask her:

New or used? (Does she really want to pay the initial depreciation?)

Since she drives a stick, is that something she wants to continue doing? - That will focus the pool of cars she can choose from, since most models don't have a manual option (and even fewer have a good one). The take rate on manual cars is very low, ~4-5% now. (A small added bonus to them, apart from being more fun to drive , is that they're the #1 theft deterrent, even more than an alarm system.)

Does going fast matter?

How much does she drive each day, and where?

How high does fuel efficiency rank for her?

How important is cheap maintenance?

How much cargo space does she need?

What matters more, comfort or handling?
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 7, 2016, 03:27 PM
 
Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Since she drives a stick, is that something she wants to continue doing?
Wait...why is this now a question? Didn't you decide long ago that she preferred driving stick and is actively looking for them?

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Hell, she even prefers a manual.
Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
shops manuals
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 7, 2016, 03:31 PM
 
Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
There's nothing to keep up with, you're under the delusion that you're going somewhere. Being uncooperative isn't the same as deflecting, Cheech.
Ah yes, you're very very far behind everyone else. Here's a summary of your latest gaffe, all in one place so that even you should be able to keep up:

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
No loans. She'll hate having a crossover, I'm convinced they're only for people who despise driving and have given up on life.
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Find me a vehicle:
- V6
- >3500lbs towing
- FWD
- Comfortable seating for 4-5 adults, two rows of seats only
- Reasonable 0-60, in the 7s.

Can a non-crossover do all of these things?
Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Estate wagon.
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Whichever.
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Name one. Just one.
When you finally caught up and realized that you couldn't name a single one, you resorted to your usual dismissive insults and deflections. That is how you will respond to this post as well, trying to downplay how stupid you looked, pretending that you don't care, and attempting to insult me in the process.
     
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 7, 2016, 07:14 PM
 
Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Some good questions to ask her:

New or used? (Does she really want to pay the initial depreciation?)

Since she drives a stick, is that something she wants to continue doing? - That will focus the pool of cars she can choose from, since most models don't have a manual option (and even fewer have a good one). The take rate on manual cars is very low, ~4-5% now. (A small added bonus to them, apart from being more fun to drive , is that they're the #1 theft deterrent, even more than an alarm system.)

Does going fast matter?

How much does she drive each day, and where?

How high does fuel efficiency rank for her?

How important is cheap maintenance?

How much cargo space does she need?

What matters more, comfort or handling?
I can answer these off-the-bat.

New or used: she doesn't care, but it's our duty as good dispensers of advice to recommend used, both on general principle, and because she doesn't have much money.

Stick: she's flexible.

Fast: she would top 90 less than 1% of the time.

Driving profile: 20 miles round trip 3-5 times a week. Half on Lake Shore Drive, so pseudo-highway. Rest is city. 300 miles interstate travel round trip for visits home maybe once every 1-2 months. If she moves to Milwaukee, tack on another 200.

Fuel efficiency/cheap repairs: these aren't insignificant considerations considering her income. Especially repairs. This is one of the reasons a car still under warranty appeals.

Handling vs. comfort: which is a Golf better at?
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:18 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2015 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,