Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > bbedit is crap.. need allaire homesite

bbedit is crap.. need allaire homesite
h00ligan
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2004, 01:15 AM

I really do NOT like bbedit.. it's crap. Dreamweaver tries too hard to do everything for you.. to the tune of countless error messages if you do things on teh fly (declare home site, upload it for you,.. all that crap.

What I need is allaire homesite.. for mac.. anything like that.. .i was thinking maybe zend studio.. but i am not sure it supports html fully with css, etc.. and well.. allaire homesite is awesome.
-= H00ligan =-

1.33 GHz 12" | 60 gig 7200 rpm drive | 1.25 Gigs of ram
amd 64 3000+ eMachines m6805 (arima lappy) | 60 gig | 512 megs | almost 3400 3dMark03 and it was only $1250 :)

skalie
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 01:28 AM

For what it's worth you can tell Dreamweaver to use Homesite as it's default editor.

Check out Smultron if you're using Panther, doesn't have live to FTP editing, but apart from that it's nice and compact.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 02:28 AM

HyperEdit is also good. i like it because its simple! it doesn't have ftp upload though, sorry
http://www.mafia-designs.com

Simon Mundy
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2004, 06:45 AM

Originally posted by h00ligan:
I really do NOT like bbedit.. it's crap.
Very objective. Any particular problems with it you'd like to share?
Computer thez nohhh...

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2004, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by skalie:
For what it's worth you can tell Dreamweaver to use Homesite as it's default editor.
That is not really worth anything considering Homesite is windows only.
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

skalie
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 06:17 PM

What's wrong with windows?

Simon Mundy
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2004, 07:17 PM

Internet Explorer, for one...

But the original poster is using a mac so Homesite is going to be useless to him.
Computer thez nohhh...

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2004, 08:38 PM

nothing, except the fact that this is a Mac forum, and even though the original poster did not need to, they clearly stated that they are using a Mac. From there it is pretty self-explanatory that telling them something that can be done with only windows provides no help.
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Oct 27, 2004, 02:04 AM

"I really do NOT like bbedit.. it's crap," isn't enough of a reason for me to offer any suggestions.
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

skalie
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 03:49 AM

Is there some unwritten law that states if you have a Mac in your house you have to throw away your windows box? (no that doesn't require an answer)

Does BBEdit (the free version) do live ftp upload btw?

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Oct 27, 2004, 03:54 AM

Is there some unwritten law that states if you have a Mac in your house you have to throw away your windows box? (no that doesn't require an answer)
no, but there's an unwritten law that states: when someone asks about mac software, you suggest mac software... not windows software.

"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

skalie
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 12:14 PM

I did.

nica
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2004, 05:45 PM

A recomendation for Mac a HTML/Text editor skEdit

ameat
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2004, 10:46 PM

for a pretty fair match with homesite, try jEdit

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 12:45 PM

Does BBEdit (the free version) do live ftp upload btw?
You think everybody has a windows box ?

skalie
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 02:05 PM

Oh, for fooks sake.

It might be possible that the original poster of the thread has had a windows box at some stage of his or her's web development history due to having a preference for, what others have so kindly pointed out, a piece of software that is only available on windows.

Mooga2
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2004, 03:02 PM

I have worked with a crapload of products across both platforms, and must admit that Macromedia Homesite has everyone beat. It has code completion and code template functions that should serve as a model for other coding applications, BBEdit included.

However, Homesite has not been updated in years, and looks to be a dying product as Macromedia infuses its presence into Dreamweaver. Also lost is working with it on Macintosh -- I have done research, and it cannot be ported to Mac without being re-programmed.

Now, to answer your question, my personal preference on the Macintosh is PageSpinner. It is a very robust application with nice tools, and preview features that have only recently been incorporated into BBEdit. Very intuitive, quick and inexpensive. I don't think you can ask for more than that.

Best of luck,
- Moo!
"He only has one look... it's like I've been taking crazy pills!"

depolitic
Oct 31, 2004, 01:05 AM

Mac OS X is a relatively young platform and their are really few if any really heavy weight text editors for the platform. BBEdit is a cary over from Classic and it has its own way of doing things. JEdit is not bad either and has FTP plus lots of plug-ins.

You could look into Emacs and VI but I doubt they would suit your needs, but they would be technical the most feature rich editors on OS X, but a pain to use.

I think we are seeing some new and interesting editors coming to the Mac platform, but it will take time for them to Mature. I am currently giving TextMate a good run.

However we do need a heavy weight editor on the Mac.

You could also look at NetBeans and other Java IDE's they are truly heavy weight in more ways then one but they all have plug in architecture and thus you can fix them to do much of anything.

Forum Links
Forum Rules