Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > unicode files - validate locally but always fail validation after upload to server

unicode files - validate locally but always fail validation after upload to server
m a d r a
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2006, 10:31 PM

arrrghh! this is doing my head in!

i posted before about a file i was having trouble with, which was throwing up validation errors after i uploaded it to a webserver, tho' it had been validating fine on my localhost server.

well now it's happening again - i'm just getting a site online for a client and, as usual, had everything validating perfectly on my local machine. i started uploading it tonight to check everything was running OK and found that once again, every page is generating a "Byte-Order Mark found in UTF-8 File." error. all the pages include a header file, so that's doubtless the one at fault, but i've tried everything to 'clean it up' - i've uploaded it from dreamweaver, BBedit and subethaedit. i've copied and pasted the content into an new empty file [so it's guaranteed clean] - but every f**kin' time, once it's uploaded to the server, it's somehow getting messed up so that the W3C validator thinks there's BOM data in the file! [and yes, i am saving as "UTF-8 no BOM" out of BBedit]

the only thing i can think of is that there's some problem with having PHP code in my UTF-8 files, as the error always occurs on the line after where i've put my <?php include .... ?> lines. am i missing something really obvious here that i should know about when it comes to using PHP with unicode files? i never had problems back in the bad old days of using "macOS roman". so much for trying to do the right thing and be all unicoded up!

[there's also a problem where popup windows aren't displaying the images they contain - even though the code is fine and they are also working perfectly on my localhost webserver - i dunno if that's connected to the first problem in any way, but i'm certainly getting the feeling my web server is located somewhere in the twilight zone, all of a sudden! ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules